1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. bosiemoncrieff
    I just ordered the Mjolnir 2, and am debating HE500/560/6. I realize that it would be a less than optimal pairing given the HE6's requirements, but would the sound quality of the HE6 in such a situation be inferior to that of the 500 or the 560?

2. Fink24
    I used to own a HE-500.

The sound quality of the HE-6 powered by an EF-5 (2W output) was about the same level.

With 5W output power, the HE-6 should definitely sound better than the HE-500.

3. Mshenay Contributor
    Hmm that's good to know, I've got a little over 5W out on my NFB 10ES2... hmm hmm hmm 

4. somestranger26

HE6 sounds fine out of NFB-10ES. It isn't going to compete with a lot of the amps people here are using, but I doubt you will be disappointed.

5. Mshenay Contributor
    Is fine better than my HE 4 is the question 

6. somestranger26

Have not heard HE4, but had the HE5 and HE5LE and the HE6 even a bit underpowered stomped all over both.

7. Mshenay Contributor
    yea but the HE 4 is a different animal xD

8. cskippy
    Looking at the frequency responses for the HE-4/HE-6, so take with a big grain of salt, but it looks like the HE-6 is a more refined HE-4.  The frequency responses are almost identical but the HE-6 has better distortion, better square waves, and impulse response probably do to the better control of the diaphragm with dual magnets versus the HE-4's single magnets.  The mids alone compared to the HE-500's mids make the HE-6 worth it for me.  Stock form is **** though unless you are using a godly amp.

9. Mshenay Contributor
    well I've only got about 5W on tap, though 9/10 I'll be skipping over the HE 6 an grabbing my self an Ether C honestly, easier to drive 

though I might re vist the HE 6 in stock form when I have the space an cash for an Audio GD Master 11! I have JUST enough power on my NFB10ES2 for classical on the HE 4, I don't think I'd have enough power for the HE 6 on my quiter classic pieces, though I might luck out an get a pair to try! 

10. Oregonian

I haven't heard the C but did have the open back Ether and no way can they compare to an HE-6.  That said, it's about having the amp to drive them, as you know, but if you are after end all, be all the HE-6 is it.  At least compared to the Ether...................and if you do get an HE-6, find a vintage amp bud.  Hook up the speaker taps and proceed to have your mind blown. 

I liked the Ether, but no comparison to the HD800 I bought instead, or the Dharma.  Just my opinion. 

11. NZtechfreak
    I like the Ether, but also find it not a patch on the HE6 (selling my Ether, says it all really).

12. Mshenay Contributor
    The cost of Both the HE 6 an a Master II would run me around $2500 :/ vs the Ether C which would run me around $1600 

I need a end Game Closed Back anyways, why not go with a headphone that'll serve to upgrade to my HE 4 an my entire collection of Closed Backs 

An in the Future, when we see something BETTER than the HE 6, an a few Modded HE 6s hit the market I'll have the amp I want, an I can grab the headphone I really want 

13. jarnopp

@Hansotek, I'm also looking forward to your impressions. I do not have the experience/equipment you do for headphone amp comparisons, but I've burned in my LC fully and it sounds so great with the HE-6s (driven by Chord Mojo as a dac it's their 3v line out setting) that I can't seem to stop. There is plenty of bass when it's in the recording and I am not hearing any distortion nor getting my ears stabbed out with treble. I do think my blood pressure has dropped 10 points from pure enjoyment, though!

14. bosiemoncrieff

Aren't the go-to end-game closed-back usually considered the Fostex TH900, AKG N90Q, LCD-XC, and (if you can find them) Sony MDR-R10? There's the new electrostatic earbud too, I suppose...

15. NZtechfreak
    LCD-XC, blegh. I'd have the Ether C over those (well, in fact I do, as well as the Pandora Hope VI and the McIntosh MHP1000).