1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. Oregonian
    Vintage Pioneer Spec amp was good for treble as well.  Disclaimer - I'm never prone to hearing shrill or sibilant treble tho - loved the Pro900 and many say that is the epitome of shrill. 

2. NZtechfreak

Yep, helps I guess that it is pure Class A. 

3. Rockin_Zombie
    Installed the Vegan pads. These are definitely the best velour pads I have seen, no wonder they cost so much (still overpriced though). I had Beyer and HiFiman velour pads before, both were so uncomfortable that I grew a dislike for velours in general. These are soft, plush, super comfortable. Somehow the weight of the headset is better adjusted with these pads too.

Now to the sound, the bass response is slightly better. What's definitely better is clarity, distortion is less with these pads. 

Still need to listen more to see if it's an $80 worth upgrade. I will probably reach the conclusion that it is, since I have already spent the money:p. Actually the comfort alone is making me happy.

4. Hansotek
    Glad you're liking them so far. :)

Rockin_Zombie likes this.
  5. ohhgourami

Told ya!

Rockin_Zombie likes this.
  6. borrego

Perhaps you should apply the "Laundry Clip Fix" to your SA-31SE I described in the amp's thread. The HE-6 draws much current, and the SA-31SE will sound "shrill" if the output transistors are not temperature compensated properly.

7. negura
    Comfort definitely. Sound stage too - larger. Clarity - not better than stock with unmodified vegans vs stock velours imo. There are trade-offs imo...

8. Hansotek
    That's why you modify them, lol. Do the felt ring mod and take it up to the next level. :)

9. Articnoise
    I definitely prefer the Audeze vegans, but with what said and I agree with negura it comes with trade off in some aspects. The pros are IMO: Fuller bass, less high treble, better tonal balance, smoother overall sound and better image. The cons are IMO: a bit less overall clarity and less soundstage width. 

10. Rockin_Zombie
    I guess it depends on the kind of music you listen to, for rock/metal I definitely feel like the clarity is better with Audeze vegan over stock leather. The stock velour pads are terrible, I couldn't keep them on long enough to test whether those are better.

Hansotek likes this.
  11. Articnoise
    I guess I was not very clear. I have tried some different pads with the HE6 and the better clarity and soundstage width was with the Hifiman Focus pad A, not with the stock pads. The stock pads kind of suck.

screwdriver likes this.
  12. TPSRA
    I am curious, is it a improvement to remove the hair screen?
    Irreversible, can't trail and error..[​IMG]

13. ohhgourami
    I remember there being slightly better clarity. I'll have to swap my pads to see. I have a pair without screens as you can see in that pic. It was brighter but maybe due to the reflections of not having felt at the time.

14. screwdriver

I like the hifiman focus pads also    more than the audeze vegan pads

15. Jozurr

Why do you prefer them over the Vegan pads?