HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 30, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #138 of 21,866
Can't wait to get all the CanJam news!  
k701smile.gif

Would love to see some impressions on the HE6 vs LCD-2, I hope someone gets to hear both there.

May 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #141 of 21,866
Since the HE-5 was built from scratch (clean sheet, along with the HE-5LE.), Fang could save some R&D and re-tooling money
and put the HE-3 right into an HE-5LE chassis unless it uses an oval driver like the HD6XX family. Why re-invent the wheel?

Also, it depends on whether or not the design is an open or closed one. 

May 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #143 of 21,866
The original post says they're "open back".  And I imagine since they're supposed to be portable, they won't be using the HE-5 shell.  I can't imagine those being considered portable. 

Originally Posted by Nankai 

HE-3 full size dynamic headphone cans

HE-3 are 32 Ohm low impedance full size headphones using 40mm (1.75inch) drivers. These are high effiency open back headphones which can get good sound quality on portable source. 

Available time: June or July, 2010
Final Price will be between $200 and $300

May 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #144 of 21,866

Quote:
The original post says they're "open back".  And I imagine since they're supposed to be portable, they won't be using the HE-5 shell.  I can't imagine those being considered portable. 

Originally Posted by Nankai 

HE-3 full size dynamic headphone cans

HE-3 are 32 Ohm low impedance full size headphones using 40mm (1.75inch) drivers. These are high effiency open back headphones which can get good sound quality on portable source. 

Available time: June or July, 2010
Final Price will be between $200 and $300

Thanks for clarifying 

May 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #145 of 21,866
Yeah, in my conversations with Fang, It appears that the HE-6 is supposed to be a full sized, that should compete with the 
likes of the HD600/650 and K701. for a more reasonable price. Now that he has his own factory in China, he is able to cut
out the middle man and have more say in the quality control department. 
Maybe, after the HE-6 makes it's debut, he can have another go at an electrostatic. In my opinion, the Jade still outperforms
most stats, and can have better quality control under the watchful eye of the owner. He has not mentioned anything about
producing a new stat, But I feel that this is a good direction to go in after the orthos and dynamic headphones have been perfected.

May 30, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #146 of 21,866
I guess you are talking about HE-3.

Quote:
Yeah, in my conversations with Fang, It appears that the HE-6 is supposed to be a full sized, that should compete with the 
likes of the HD600/650 and K701.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #148 of 21,866

Quote:
likes of the HD600/650 and K701. for a more reasonable price. Now that he has his own factory in China, he is able to cut
out the middle man and have more say in the quality control department. 
Maybe, after the HE-6 makes it's debut, he can have another go at an electrostatic. In my opinion, the Jade still outperforms
most stats, and can have better quality control under the watchful eye of the owner. He has not mentioned anything about
producing a new stat, But I feel that this is a good direction to go in after the orthos and dynamic headphones have been perfected.

Stats have some serious design limitations that are not shared by planar magnetics.  IMHO, there will never be an ultimate stat that out does an ultimate planar magnetic. particularly with the best of today's materials available.  Can't get around the physics of the things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back