= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #20,491 of 21,171
Yes it is very nice. I just sold an Ether C and as nice as it was, I actually preferred the Quad ERA-1. The Quad sadly has flown under the radar here, and as wonderful as Dan is at voicing headphones, and he is, Quad has been voicing award winning speakers for longer and they took the plunge into headphones and in my opinion did a fantastic job.
Damn, thx for introducing me those pair of headphones. I have a soft spot towards headphones that have realistic voicing. I can see from the specs that the impedance is very low, coupled with acceptable sensitivity. Are those headphones easy to drive?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #20,492 of 21,171
Just observed that voices became richer after the pads were changed to brainwavz angled pleathers.. Diana Krall sounds so amazing. Only con with this change is that my ears feel warm.had to use the ac to lessen the heat.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #20,493 of 21,171
Damn, thx for introducing me those pair of headphones. I have a soft spot towards with headphones that have realistic voicing. I can see from the specs that the impedance is very low, coupled with acceptable sensitivity. Are those headphones easy to drive?
I drove them from my speaker taps, but also from my FiiO Q5 and they seemed to be well enough driven from the Q5. They are indeed really nicely voiced, but that is what you would expect from Quad after all. Let me know if you ever do get the ERA-1 and what you think. Cheers.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #20,494 of 21,171
I drove them from my speaker taps, but also from my FiiO Q5 and they seemed to be well enough driven from the Q5. They are indeed really nicely voiced, but that is what you would expect from Quad after all. Let me know if you ever do get the ERA-1 and what you think. Cheers.
I doubt i can get my hands of them anytime soon, its not available in my place. Guess i'll try on one if i have a chance to travel. Cheers.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #20,495 of 21,171
Btw, i've notice that the warmer my Magni 3 gets, the better it sounds. I thought that this "warm up" phase only affects tube amps, no?
I also notice the my amp warms up very slowly. I've found out that it needs at least 2 hours to achieve the best sound possible. 30 mins is not enough, it still sounds harsh and bright. Is it normal?

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #20,496 of 21,171
Btw, i've notice that the warmer my Magni 3 gets, the better it sounds. I thought that this "warm up" phase only affects tube amps, no?
I also notice the my amp warms up very slowly. I've found out that it needs at least 2 hours to achieve the best sound possible. 30 mins is not enough, it still sounds harsh and bright. Is it normal?

Solid state amps which are not A-class often takes more than couple of hours to warm up and sound best, which could be much longer than that of tube amps.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #20,497 of 21,171
The magni 3 is a class A solid state, correct? If that is the case then I have experienced this most of my class A amplifiers. They do get hot, and when they heat up after use they tend to sound better to my ears. I do not know if this is due science I am unaware of lol. I have read about it from other's that have experienced the same thing, and now if it is a proven fact or a common opinion beats me. How do you like your Magni 3 btw? The class A NFB 28 amp I use is most noticeable with the better sound after some time with it being used and on.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #20,498 of 21,171
Solid state amps which are not A-class often takes more than couple of hours to warm up and sound best, which could be much longer than that of tube amps.
Is it for only not class a amplifiers that are solid state design? Because I am pretty sure I have experienced something similar with my class A nfb 28, but then again it could be just my ear's adjusting to sound perhaps.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #20,499 of 21,171
Is it for only not class a amplifiers that are solid state design? Because I am pretty sure I have experienced something similar with my class A nfb 28, but then again it could be just my ear's adjusting to sound perhaps.

Maybe on class A too to take more than couple of hours, but due to dissipation wattage, it should warm faster than AB "in general".
However, it surely should depend on each model design and small wattage or low bias headphone amps could take longer.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #20,500 of 21,171
@Licht Oh, so the Class A and tube amps warms up faster? That figures, thx for u input.

@WhiskeyJacks The Magni 3 is Class A/B i think, not Class A.
I really like it after the lengthy warm up phase. I tested in two ways:
- listen after turning the amp on, and after every 30 minutes.
- listen after turning the amp on, after 30 minutes, and then 2 hours.

I found out that the richness of the sound only fully coming out after 2 hours mark. After 2 hours, the sound stays the same.

Tested on my He560 and Q701, and i believe my results are correct, since those 2 headphones are considered bright, the Q701 even more so. After 2 hours, they sound so much warmer and fuller.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #20,501 of 21,171
The magni 3 is a class A solid state, correct? If that is the case then I have experienced this most of my class A amplifiers. They do get hot, and when they heat up after use they tend to sound better to my ears. I do not know if this is due science I am unaware of lol. I have read about it from other's that have experienced the same thing, and now if it is a proven fact or a common opinion beats me. How do you like your Magni 3 btw? The class A NFB 28 amp I use is most noticeable with the better sound after some time with it being used and on.

I can verify this warm-up idea with my own NFB 28.38. I like to turn it on about 10-20 minutes before I listen, because I find that listening to it cold sounds a bit off. The other day, I had the opportunity to run the 28 for about 6 hours straight and I found that the warm-up is pretty set thing. After 30 minutes of playing, it didn't seem to improve or change anymore. That might be the magic number for that amp.

If it's the case with the 28, it's got to be true of other amps as well. I haven't heard the Magni 3, but I have to reason to doubt it would benefit from a bit of warm-up too.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #20,502 of 21,171
@Licht Oh, so the Class A and tube amps warms up faster? That figures, thx for u input.

@WhiskeyJacks The Magni 3 is Class A/B i think, not Class A.
I really like it after the lengthy warm up phase. I tested in two ways:
- listen after turning the amp on, and after every 30 minutes.
- listen after turning the amp on, after 30 minutes, and then 2 hours.

I found out that the richness of the sound only fully coming out after 2 hours mark. After 2 hours, the sound stays the same.

Tested on my He560 and Q701, and i believe my results are correct, since those 2 headphones are considered bright, the Q701 even more so. After 2 hours, they sound so much warmer and fuller.

Thanks for the information.
I have Magni3s too but mainly using for casual listening, so haven't checked warm-up effect seriously.

btw, I was surprised that low/high gain on Magni3 makes big difference with HE560.
Cold Magni3 in low gain matched with HE560 sounds very thin but on high gain, it gets much fuller.
That difference was similar on Mjolnir2 and the high gain sounds fuller and way better with HE560, but with EHER Flow or ETHER 2, I prefer airy sound of low gain.

P.S. and same with R2R11 the DAC/amp I am using with HE560. High gain sounds much fuller and better with HE560.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #20,503 of 21,171
Thanks for the information.
I have Magni3s too but mainly using for casual listening, so haven't checked warm-up effect seriously.

btw, I was surprised that low/high gain on Magni3 makes big difference with HE560.
Cold Magni3 in low gain matched with HE560 sounds very thin but on high gain, it gets much fuller.
That difference was similar on Mjolnir2 and the high gain sounds fuller and way better with HE560, but with EHER Flow or ETHER 2, I prefer airy sound of low gain.

P.S. and same with R2R11 the DAC/amp I am using with HE560. High gain sounds much fuller and better with HE560.
I always use high gain for the 560, Those headphones are very power hungry, and almost always sounds better the more power u provide it.
The HE560 also benefits greatly from full bodied and warm amps, such as the ifi iDSD Micro black label. I believe that amp is better suited for the HE560 than the Magni 3, but its many times more expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back