= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #19,861 of 21,171
Yeah all this drama between here, the other site, slickdeals, reddit, and not one person has showed any pics of this headphone? Also, I know people are making HE-560 comparisons but is it possible HE-560 had revisions over time? We all know HE-400i had silent revisions that affected the sound. There was also the switch from their old style SMC connectors to 2.5mm. And they also changed the packaging/boxes provided with HE400i/HE-560 over time. So I would caution that making direct HE-560v1 vs v2 comparisons could be tricky. I don't have a horse in this race so I'm not debating one side vs the other, but I do think it is worth consideration.

It would also be interesting to get some HE-560v2 impressions vs Sundara. Since ebay has been doing those 15-20% off coupons more frequently and Hifiman's official ebay store sells Sundara, many people have been getting that for $400 shipped. I have thought about picking one up myself. I auditioned it once at a meet and quite liked it. I would love to hear how HE-560v2 compares.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #19,862 of 21,171
i own the second gen 560 with 2.5mm, 400i, 4xx, and he6. just recently sold my he1000's. i do not currently have sundaras i may be able to borrow a set. i have many hours of seat time with my current 560's i should be able to tell right off the bat if these "v3" i guess sound different.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #19,863 of 21,171
I think we should call the current version V3 since the original was with SMC jacks, version 2 was with 2.5mm jacks and now version 3 with Sundara headband and different cups.
Anyone with the V3 took a picture of the drivers after removing the grills to see if they still have the back plate?

I removed the pads/grills and both sides of the drivers looked identical.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #19,864 of 21,171
Yeah all this drama between here, the other site, slickdeals, reddit, and not one person has showed any pics of this headphone? Also, I know people are making HE-560 comparisons but is it possible HE-560 had revisions over time? We all know HE-400i had silent revisions that affected the sound. There was also the switch from their old style SMC connectors to 2.5mm. And they also changed the packaging/boxes provided with HE400i/HE-560 over time. So I would caution that making direct HE-560v1 vs v2 comparisons could be tricky. I don't have a horse in this race so I'm not debating one side vs the other, but I do think it is worth consideration.

It would also be interesting to get some HE-560v2 impressions vs Sundara. Since ebay has been doing those 15-20% off coupons more frequently and Hifiman's official ebay store sells Sundara, many people have been getting that for $400 shipped. I have thought about picking one up myself. I auditioned it once at a meet and quite liked it. I would love to hear how HE-560v2 compares.

Silent revisions are always a possibility. I'm more than familiar with many undocumented Audeze LCD changes. My original 560 is relatively new, with the newer packaging and purchasing it new less than two months ago. I believe another member had very similar conclusions to the sound changes that I did, but hopefully a few more people can compare both and comment.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #19,865 of 21,171
Cancelled my order, between worrying about the headband strap being too short and the sound being changed for the worse compared to the original HE-560 V1. Would have been interested to hear them but don't want to go through another round of returns.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #19,866 of 21,171
My pair arrived today. I only had a quick look at them because I had work to get to. I'll test them out later when I get home and I'll have both v2 and "v3" there to compare. They def are a tight fit though I may see if I can slightly bend the metal a bit outward on the yolks not sure yet.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #19,867 of 21,171
I consider myself pretty lucky then (after this new version and it's new issues) to have gotten the revised v1's for a good price, broken the yoke, and then had hifiman send me a metal headband as a replacement. Seems like the best combination of sound and build quality. I'm sure there are no guarantees but they didn't really hesitate to send me the new headband...

It's weird that this isn't what they are selling though as the new 560 - why not just use the new headbands with the original cups/drivers and everyone's happy? If it's a new driver it's strange to not just give it a new model # (even like 560i or something).

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #19,868 of 21,171
My pair arrived today. I only had a quick look at them because I had work to get to. I'll test them out later when I get home and I'll have both v2 and "v3" there to compare. They def are a tight fit though I may see if I can slightly bend the metal a bit outward on the yolks not sure yet.

Aren't we just unnecessarily complicating things by calling them "v3's"? HiFiMan is calling them v2's, let's just stick with that. I mean the SMC to 2.5mm change wasn't that big of a deal. If anything the 2.5mm units should be called v1.1's. Just sayin...

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #19,870 of 21,171
Okay so then we have v1, v1.1, and v2 so many refer to the 2.5mm version as v2 it seemed like they should have just called them a v3.

I'd hate to see what version we'd be on of LCD-2's if that were the case. :L3000:

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #19,871 of 21,171
Okay, this will probably be one of my last posts on the v2, or whatever we're calling it (my vote: Mud). It's been a fun ride, but I've got reviews to work on and The Witcher 3 to play. :smile:

I called Adorama and told them the headband design was defective and that the product information didn't list the change from 2.5mm connectors to 3.5mm. They approved a full refund and provided a free return shipping. Great CS by the way, very fast and efficient. I was impressed.

I also took another listen comparing both 560's, this time on my big boy amp (LAu). Had the same conclusions that I had earlier comparing the two versions (which I'll refer to as "original" and "v2"):

The v2's clearly have less bass quantity, especially in the mid-bass and sub-bass compared to the originals. There's possibly even some slight roll off in the very low frequencies, although this could just be a perception from the reduced quantity. The mids on the v2's also feel like they've been emphasized more and are somewhat "meatier". There's something weird going on in the upper mids, I think they have a decent dip in them. No question the v2's aren't as bright sounding as the originals. Not only have the highs been reduced, they've also been rolled off some. Overall the treble come across slightly smoother sounding than the originals, but it's not nearly as crisp and energetic. I'd say overall the v2's is a more laid back sounding version of the original. To me this kind of takes away the best strengths of the original 560's and I personally enjoyed the originals more on almost everything I tested them on.

Finally @givemetacos and some others wanted to know how the v2's compared to the Sundara's, so I gave them a quick comparison. My impressions: Buy the Sundara's. :wink:

Fine, I'll go into some details. The Sundara's are easier to drive, but the difference isn't that huge. I think they also don't scale quite as much with upstream gear, where the v2's (and originals) need to be pushed to be their best. The Sundara's have slightly more bass quantity than v2's, and the bass quality is no question better. The v2's do have a thicker midrange than the Sundara's, although like I mentioned above there's some wonkiness in the upper mids. I also feel like the v2's have a reduction or dip in the presence region. I forgot to mention this when comparing them to the originals, which are more closer aligned to the Sundara's in the treble. Also just like the originals, the Sundara's have better treble extension and quantity than the v2's. I think the quality is also better, but I'd need to spend some more time with them to be sure. The Sundara's also image better than the v2's, which is another area where I though the v2's weren't as good as the original 560's. Overall compared to the v2's, the Sundara's just feel like a much more complete sounding headphone from top to bottom. Now the Sundara's vs the original 560's, that's a lot closer ballgame. I could see preferences swinging either way depending on the user.

If there's one thing that this whole debacle has done for me is to appreciate how good the original 560's are. I had the original SMC version when I was still relatively new to the hobby and didn't have proper gear to pair it with. Ended up selling that pair, but I'm glad I decided to check them out again. I'll hold onto the v2's for another few days if anyone else has any questions.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #19,872 of 21,171
Very nice customer service, guess I will call them and ask them to issue a return too. Thanks for the info.

Okay, this will probably be one of my last posts on the v2, or whatever we're calling it (my vote: Mud). It's been a fun ride, but I've got reviews to work on and The Witcher 3 to play.
:smile:

I called Adorama and told them the headband design was defective and that the product information didn't list the change from 2.5mm connectors to 3.5mm. They approved a full refund and provided a free return shipping. Great CS by the way, very fast and efficient. I was impressed.

I also took another listen comparing both 560's, this time on my big boy amp (LAu). Had the same conclusions that I had earlier comparing the two versions (which I'll refer to as "original" and "v2"):

The v2's clearly have less bass quantity, especially in the mid-bass and sub-bass compared to the originals. There's possibly even some slight roll off in the very low frequencies, although this could just be a perception from the reduced quantity. The mids on the v2's also feel like they've been emphasized more and are somewhat "meatier". There's something weird going on in the upper mids, I think they have a decent dip in them. No question the v2's aren't as bright sounding as the originals. Not only have the highs been reduced, they've also been rolled off some. Overall the treble come across slightly smoother sounding than the originals, but it's not nearly as crisp and energetic. I'd say overall the v2's is a more laid back sounding version of the original. To me this kind of takes away the best strengths of the original 560's and I personally enjoyed the originals more on almost everything I tested them on.

Finally @givemetacos and some others wanted to know how the v2's compared to the Sundara's, so I gave them a quick comparison. My impressions: Buy the Sundara's. :wink:

Fine, I'll go into some details. The Sundara's are easier to drive, but the difference isn't that huge. I think they also don't scale quite as much with upstream gear, where the v2's (and originals) need to be pushed to be their best. The Sundara's have slightly more bass quantity than v2's, and the bass quality is no question better. The v2's do have a thicker midrange than the Sundara's, although like I mentioned above there's some wonkiness in the upper mids. I also feel like the v2's have a reduction or dip in the presence region. I forgot to mention this when comparing them to the originals, which are more closer aligned to the Sundara's in the treble. Also just like the originals, the Sundara's have better treble extension and quantity than the v2's. I think the quality is also better, but I'd need to spend some more time with them to be sure. The Sundara's also image better than the v2's, which is another area where I though the v2's weren't as good as the original 560's. Overall compared to the v2's, the Sundara's just feel like a much more complete sounding headphone from top to bottom. Now the Sundara's vs the original 560's, that's a lot closer ballgame. I could see preferences swinging either way depending on the user.

If there's one thing that this whole debacle has done for me is to appreciate how good the original 560's are. I had the original SMC version when I was still relatively new to the hobby and didn't have proper gear to pair it with. Ended up selling that pair, but I'm glad I decided to check them out again. I'll hold onto the v2's for another few days if anyone else has any questions.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #19,874 of 21,171
So I just got mine....they actually look quite nice in person and the build seems pretty good. The headband is definitely on the short side but it's fine for me once you move the notches up (I have it on the next to last setting). I've never heard a 560 so can't compare with the V1 in terms of sound.

I also like this V2 color scheme and design better than the Sundara or original 560 but haven't seen either of those in person. Just going by photos.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #19,875 of 21,171

So, I was watching this comparison of the HE-560s and have to say that I disagree with his statement that the 560s have no impact and that they lack detail in the mids (especially with vocals). Then I saw that he had to have his Magni 3's set to about 75% power which had me thinking that he wasn't pairing them with an adequate enough amp in terms of power if he needs that much output from the amp.

I was listening to the beat from 38- 58 seconds on SZA's song "The weekend" on the 560s and didn't find them lacking impact there. Didn't find her vocals after the beat lacking in detail either, same can be said about "One of them days" by Kiana Lede.

The YouTube links are below...

- "The Weekend"

- "One of them days".

I listen to a variety of music and just happened to be listening to these songs around the time I saw the vid and found that I liked the way the 560s presented them (although it can be a tad bit hot in the treble). I've always thought it was a good performer in terms of female vocals. It's making me think that perhaps some who found the 560s "lacking" in detail and extension may not have given them adequate power. Could the 560's do with more impact at times? Yes, but I certainly don't find them having no impact when they certainly do. I'm no expert but that's my opinion. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back