= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #19,696 of 21,168
Is there a notable difference in pairing the 560 with Lyr 2 vs Lyr 3? Is one generally considered favorable vs. the other?

Sorry if this has been covered or if it's a silly question but I haven't been able to get an answer in my searches
I'm not sure if there are many around that have both the Lyr2 and Lyr3 but I do love my Lyr2 with the HE560 but they do sound better on other amps (Liquid Glass, DarkStar, V280, Hugo2 and HA501) that I've tried but then these amps are in another price range so its not a fair comparison.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #19,697 of 21,168
I'm not sure if there are many around that have both the Lyr2 and Lyr3 but I do love my Lyr2 with the HE560 but they do sound better on other amps (Liquid Glass, DarkStar, V280, Hugo2 and HA501) that I've tried but then these amps are in another price range so its not a fair comparison.
That makes sense. I guess I was hoping that perhaps some of the folks here have had the opportunity to review or experience both and may have done some of that comparison with the HE560. That may be a tall ask but it seems that if anyone has done it, it's folks here :)

Conversely, if anyone with more knowledge than I (everyone here) could hypothesize I'd be interested in some perspectives. Most of the reviews that I've read on the Lyr 3 describe it as an incremental improvement vs. an overall but I don't want to assume the incremental changes make it a better pairing for these specific cans

I'm hoping to snag a Lyr2/3 and if I'm left wanting I'll start saving and stalking the FS section for something like Liquid Glass

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #19,698 of 21,168
That makes sense. I guess I was hoping that perhaps some of the folks here have had the opportunity to review or experience both and may have done some of that comparison with the HE560. That may be a tall ask but it seems that if anyone has done it, it's folks here :)

Conversely, if anyone with more knowledge than I (everyone here) could hypothesize I'd be interested in some perspectives. Most of the reviews that I've read on the Lyr 3 describe it as an incremental improvement vs. an overall but I don't want to assume the incremental changes make it a better pairing for these specific cans

I'm hoping to snag a Lyr2/3 and if I'm left wanting I'll start saving and stalking the FS section for something like Liquid Glass

Thanks!
I'd say that the difference between the Lyr2 and Lyr3 is an incremental improvement but for those with other amps the choice of tubes also plays a part in the decision process. Since I have a Ember it uses 6922/12AU7 so the 6922 tubes can be shared with my Lyr2 and the 12AU7 tubes shared with my BH Crack.
As for the Liquid Glass, good luck finding one since I've never seen one for sale and the one that I used was from a friend who also had a bunch of great tubes to try out. I did consider buying it from him but decided to use the funds for other stuff I wanted to get.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #19,700 of 21,168
Jul 15, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #19,701 of 21,168
Is there an amp =<1k that’s generally thought of as the best pairing?
Boy that is a big question and difficult to answer based on your question. How much do you want to spend?
If you check the thread you will find people saying it "needs" high power speaker amps. People have also said it is great with the Liquid Carbon. People on the Gustard H10 thread raved about it with that amp. I really thought the Garage 1217 Ember with the right tubes had great synergy. The Polaris is also good from the same people ...and relatively inexpensive.
Without understanding your taste in sound and your other equipment...and how much you are willing to spend. It is pretty much impossible to recommend something.

You will learn as you are here more, questions with virtually no information in them get you answers that are likely not very helpful.

But do search the thread. The question has been discussed hundreds of times in 19700 + posts.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #19,702 of 21,168
+1 on the Black Label rec. That thing is awesome, especially with the bass boost for the 560s.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #19,703 of 21,168
Best pairing? That’s like asking who is the greatest pitcher, or which is the best wine, or what is the greatest album.

HE-560s sound great out of both my desktop amps (Violectric v280 & Bryston BHA-1), each of which cost me under $1k (used).

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #19,705 of 21,168
Best pairing? That’s like asking who is the greatest pitcher, or which is the best wine, or what is the greatest album.

Fair
Apologies b/c that question was, admittedly, a bit lazy. I suppose what I’m after is what other folks favorite pairing is on amps that retail under 1k. If there were 2-3 models that seemed to come up the most I’d start hunting for options to hear/buy.

I briefly debated just creating a new thread but was crossing my fingers that short list may be common knowledge - probably naive considering I didn’t find it while searching this thread

Anyway, thanks for all the initial thoughts so far all and, by all means, keep em coming. It’s much appreciated

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #19,706 of 21,168
Fair
Apologies b/c that question was, admittedly, a bit lazy. I suppose what I’m after is what other folks favorite pairing is on amps that retail under 1k. If there were 2-3 models that seemed to come up the most I’d start hunting for options to hear/buy.

I briefly debated just creating a new thread but was crossing my fingers that short list may be common knowledge - probably naive considering I didn’t find it while searching this thread

Anyway, thanks for all the initial thoughts so far all and, by all means, keep em coming. It’s much appreciated
In addition to the ones I listed, I have to agree that the iDSD Black is nice. It is available at a nice price if you are patient, and it is like a Swiss Army Knife. It is pretty much a "do everything you ever wanted to do" in DAC/AMP land.
What is your source and DAC? Are you looking for a fully balanced system? Do you really want an amplifier only... or do you really want a DAC/AMP combo? There is a contingent here that really like the Schiit line. Do you have an interest in tube gear ?and/or tube rolling? There are so many factors that come into play. So far, except for the Black Label, everything I have listed have been amp only. You would need a separate DAC to use them... So what do you have now, what are your musical tastes? How loud do you listen? Other headphones.

Man this is like pulling teeth
:triportsad:

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #19,707 of 21,168
Man this is like pulling teeth
:triportsad:
Sorry lol I was trying to avoid the specific “for me” application details but let me see here...
Musical tastes are somewhat all over the place but the breakdown is probably around 50% alt or classic rock, 30% rap/r&b, 10% pop, 10% misc stuff that I’d be embarrassed if my friends found out. Most of my listening happens later in the evening once the kids are in bed so I’m probably a moderate volume guy in the typical application.

Fairly new down the path (in the last ~9mo) and the only other headphones atm are the m50s I use when traveling and senn 58x jubilee. I listen mostly to Spotify off a laptop that is being upgraded sometime later this yr as well. No dac yet and preference on all in one vs. separate units. Very open to tubes but unlikely to get too far down the rabbit hole of rolling. I’m still feeling out my preferred sound but I believe I’m a tad sensitive to sibilance

All this said, I know this info helps provide guidance for my specific situation and preferences, but I’m very open options offered w/ no regard to the above b/c, with the exception of musical preference, all of it is somewhat flexible

Thanks again

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #19,708 of 21,168
Is there a notable difference in pairing the 560 with Lyr 2 vs Lyr 3? Is one generally considered favorable vs. the other?

Sorry if this has been covered or if it's a silly question but I haven't been able to get an answer in my searches

Slight differences in favor of the Lyr 3. Similar general sound presentation, ever so slightly more refined treble on the Lyr 3 when using great tubes in both. Don't remember other noteworthy differences.

The HE-560 isn't terribly amp picky, so I'd just go with something that is built really well and generally measures very well, which automatically excludes a lot of amps. My first choice for a sub $1k amp would be a used HeadAmp GS-1 if I could find one, it is just the cream of the crop for single ended headphone amplification.

Barring that, I believe there is a Bottlehead Mainline in the classifieds for $950 right now. Otherwise it's $1,100 which is still right there in the same price range. Aside from that, the only other amp I'd consider is a Dynalo from mjolnir-audio.com (there are two listed right now, plus a used one). Not counting a used Dynahi since that's just so rare.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #19,709 of 21,168
I found that my 560's really benefited from an R2R DAC. Both Mimby and my Audio-GD R2R-1 sound great. Takes the edge of the treble with no real downside to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back