= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #19,246 of 21,166
After a lot more of experimenting with the parts antdroid sent me I've been able to finish the design. These are almost 1:1 compared to the original but a little bit wider to reduce stress on the plastic. I've added pins to align the two parts while glueing and after sanding and rubbing it with some acetone they are able to get perfectly smooth. I'm going to get some finer sandpaper and finish it off with some more acetone but I wanted to share these pictures for now.

Before glueing..

After glueing.

After sanding for 15 min and rubbing it with acetone for 5 min. (original on top)

If you want the parts to do it yourself I'll ask €10,- plus shipping which can be done in an envelope. This will require you to use some cutting pliers to snip out the metal pivot from your original yoke, do some slight adjustment to the yoke to get it to fit perfectly, glue the two halves together and sand/smooth the parts if wanted. For €17,50,- plus shipping I will do this for you (which I think is cheap considering it's a 1-2h job plus supplies).

Where do I send the money??.? Mine just broke after 5 days of wearing them 400i though. Have you considered using shapeways as then people can order directly, fit and finish is already done, you can use different material types even metal, and you still get a profit kick back? I’m getting a new set from hifiman but I’d like to have a better quality backup for when the warranty is out.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #19,250 of 21,166
@PantsUK :I looked into the shapeways thing and even have everything set-up and ready to sell but the products then manufacture have a grainy surface which would not be ideal if you'd want to glue two halves together seamlessly.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #19,251 of 21,166
@PantsUK :I looked into the shapeways thing and even have everything set-up and ready to sell but the products then manufacture have a grainy surface which would not be ideal if you'd want to glue two halves together seamlessly.
No problem just an idea. The bits I had made were good but your way is probably better, bronze would be nice though lol

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #19,252 of 21,166
First batch of yokes came out great, switched to 0.1mm layer height to improve tolerances and reduce post processing time. Took a total of 9 hours to print these.

_DSC3189.jpg

Also made two videos on how to remove the metal pivot (caveman style) and reassemble the new part.
Removing the pivot.
Reassembling the yoke.
Acetone smoothing 3dprinted Hifiman yokes

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #19,253 of 21,166
0477 here, yoke cracked badly on the left side and about to break (still wearing them...)

I discovered this after I had to RMA my M1060C's due to issues with the right driver. I thought "Well, I can just rotate in my HE-560 for now. Let me just put these on and... WOW REALLY!?!" My two most expensive HP and they both have problems. I think my $50 SHP9500s have better build quality than the both of them (certainly less issues).

I honestly thought about returning them both and just upgrading to a better built (and hopefully better sounding) HP like an Audeze LCD of some sort, but I really do love the sound of both of them. There is also the fact that I am over the 30 day return period for the HE-560, and Adorama was not willing to work with me on that at all. So I am stuck with the 560 and it's janky headband, but I am trying to contact Hifiman right now to get a new headband. Hopefully the QC issue has been addressed by now but I will just cross my fingers on that. I know Gardibolt received a new headband that does not seem to have issues (after 3 replacement sets...). Has anyone else receive a new one that hasn't broken yet?

Also, pauldgroot, those headbands look excellent. It makes me happy that somebody cared enough to go out of their way to help fellow HE-560 owners. Again, not sure if Hifiman did anything about the bad batch yet, but kudos to you Paul. I may be contacting you about one soon.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #19,254 of 21,166
My replacement set #3 has about 72 hours on it and no failures, no cracks yet. Sound is exquisite especially in tandem with the Lyr 2. But I'll keep Paul's replacement service in mind when these inevitably break.
Got my replacement headband from Hifiman... Those who've replaced theirs, any instructions/tips on how to change them?

My cracked ones haven't broken through completely so don't know if i should be just yanking them off the connectors. Or do we need to take off the pads and screws to the driver assembly?

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #19,255 of 21,166
I use a bank card to gently take out one side of the yoke and then slide it away until the pressure relieves, then take out the other side. If they're already broken, don't bother doing it super carefully. No screwdrivers needed, clamping force holds them in place.

@Inaba545 : Thanks, let me know if I can help you out!

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #19,256 of 21,166
I use a bank card to gently take out one side of the yoke and then slide it away until the pressure relieves, then take out the other side. If they're already broken, don't bother doing it super carefully. No screwdrivers needed, clamping force holds them in place.

@Inaba545 : Thanks, let me know if I can help you out!
@pauldgroot Thanks. Just tossing up whether to reinforce/salvage the current cracked yoke and see how that holds up, or to just swap over to the replacement... Seems even the replacements aren't guaranteed to hold up.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #19,257 of 21,166
I heard of a guy who sells replacements for cheap. :nerd: I tried glueing mine when they cracked but that didn't really hold up since glue is usually a brittle spot. I think glueing and the using a strip of metal on the inside with epoxy could work.

After a lot of smoothing it was time to try them assembled on @antdroid his headband.
_DSC3190.jpg _DSC3191.jpg _DSC3192.jpg

Fit was almost perfect expect for the pins that stick in the cups.
Knipsel.PNG
That end flange was a little oversized, sanded a small amount of material off and after that the fit was fine. The first seven yokes I've printed have this "issue", will ship these anyway since its an easy fix. For a next batch I've redicued the diameter from 5.25mm to 5.1mm which should better match the original.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #19,260 of 21,166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back