= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #18,601 of 21,168
I just got my 2nd HE-560 from Amazon, this one works perfectly, both left and right side for those of us with the privilege of possessing two ears :) . The pads were fitted wrongly too, they looked like they had just been thrown on. Unclipping just one of the retaining clips allowed the pads to rotate freely, then clip it back when in the correct position.

My SMSL T1 drives them OK. Listening to some Madonna now, sounds good to me. :)

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #18,602 of 21,168
Anybody know why these seem to come from the factory with the pads fitted the wrong way around?

Going by the instructions the thinner part of the pad should be at the front and the thicker part to the rear.
This happened with mine too. I took them off and on 3-4 times before i got it right, i was so pissed. They should not rotate freely once properly installed the way the assembly works.

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #18,604 of 21,168
Sorry, mine are not stock - in the least - and the pads rotate freely.
You might have the old pad mounting rings that came with some of the early HE560's since they sell the metal mounting rings as an update which has notches to keep the pads from rotating and I've installed them on my HE400 or you are not using stock Focus/Focus-A pads so the pad will rotate around the mounting ring if its loose enough.

@Rapid7, you can buy the updated mounting rings with the notches to keep the pads from rotating:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/aluminum-trim-ring.html

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #18,605 of 21,168
You might have the old pad mounting rings that came with some of the early HE560's since they sell the metal mounting rings as an update which has notches to keep the pads from rotating and I've installed them on my HE400 or you are not using stock Focus/Focus-A pads so the pad will rotate around the mounting ring if its loose enough.

@Rapid7, you can buy the updated mounting rings with the notches to keep the pads from rotating:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/aluminum-trim-ring.html

I have completely handmade wooden ear cups. So my experience - I have to keep reminding myself - is v different to other people's.

Jan 1, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #18,606 of 21,168
Is anyone using the schiit jotunheim with these? I' thinking about getting an amp and these are an option I'm considering. I'm hearing conflicting reports about them so looking for more opinions or alternatives for a smaller sized amp.

Jan 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #18,607 of 21,168
Is anyone using the schiit jotunheim with these? I' thinking about getting an amp and these are an option I'm considering. I'm hearing conflicting reports about them so looking for more opinions or alternatives for a smaller sized amp.
I'm one that didn't like the Jot with the HE560, while the bass/low end is good the highs got a bit sibilant/harsh at times to me.

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #18,608 of 21,168
The headband is a great thing about the HE560. When I owned the HD650 (which, like the HE560, also clamps a little hard), people would tell me to just stretch and flex the headband. But I was always worried that the plastic would damage or break. On the 560, however, you can pretty much bend the band to your heart's content. After a lot of trial and error, I finally reached a point where the 560 has become extremely comfortable, so much so that not even the pads bother anymore.

Jan 1, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #18,609 of 21,168
Silly question but has anyone tried using an iPhone with these cans? Can you get anything out of an iPhone or is it an exercise in futility?

According to innerfidelity, Vrms required to hit 90 dB is 0.330 vrms, while the iPhone hits about 0.440 vrms. This suggests you’ll be able to hit 92.5 dB on using an iPhone, which isn’t a whole lot of head room but I was wondering how this translates to real life.

Jan 1, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #18,610 of 21,168
Silly question but has anyone tried using an iPhone with these cans? Can you get anything out of an iPhone or is it an exercise in futility?

According to innerfidelity, Vrms required to hit 90 dB is 0.330 vrms, while the iPhone hits about 0.440 vrms. This suggests you’ll be able to hit 92.5 dB on using an iPhone, which isn’t a whole lot of head room but I was wondering how this translates to real life.

Very very quiet. Listenable if you want to strain, but... not a fun time.

Jan 1, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #18,611 of 21,168
Drove around 300 Kms to collect these from a friend. So far so good!

The build is decent, nothing creaks or wobbles. Looks stylish from afar. I'd give it a solid 7.5.
Comfort is very good as well.

Coming from the HD700s paired with a BH Crack + SB, I'm liking what I hear so far. Amping is a problem I feel, I'm driving these with an O2. Feels like the o2 is holding them back. Only 10 hours in though.

What stands out to me thus far is how these deliver the mids. Very nice.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #18,612 of 21,168
Drove around 300 Kms to collect these from a friend. So far so good!

The build is decent, nothing creaks or wobbles. Looks stylish from afar. I'd give it a solid 7.5.
Comfort is very good as well.

Coming from the HD700s paired with a BH Crack + SB, I'm liking what I hear so far. Amping is a problem I feel, I'm driving these with an O2. Feels like the o2 is holding them back. Only 10 hours in though.

What stands out to me thus far is how these deliver the mids. Very nice.

Didn't care for the O2 as an amp with the HE560, it made them harsh, sibilant, bass thin, and almost non-listenable to me.

Jan 2, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #18,614 of 21,168
How about progressive metal/heavy with these? Sound good at all or something else?
Metal sounds great with the 560's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back