= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #18,556 of 21,169
Guys, I am really tempted to get the HE560 but mainly use my headphones with a DAP as I am not too keen on being tethered to a desk.

What portable amps do you recommend that will not hold back the full potential of the HE560?

The Fiio A5 springs to mind but I was not too impressed by it when I had it previously.

How does the Chord Mojo pair with the HE560, I had the mojo before and I found that it lacked a bit in dynamics and sub bass?

I can't say about portable amps or Daps, but I think that you will really enjoy the HE560 for classical. I got mine about a week ago and have been powering them through my Audio GD stack. Good soundstage, great imaging, natural timbres, very accurate sounding. I'll have to start posting more in the classical music thread if you get one.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #18,557 of 21,169
Yes, soundwise, they are awesome.

I just inspected the overall quality under day light. Some spot where varnish is missing on the veneer, very poor job of finishing the plastic cups (some uneven spots), sharp edge where the cup meets the earpads. Looks like cheap plastic as well on the arcs holding the cups. The headband and the metal clamp are OK. But as far as the cups are concerned, it is something you would expect from a product found at Dollorama. I would be ashamed to ship such a poorly crafted product at any price. Seems like profit comes second, just after sound quality.

Shame on Hifiman.

I will keep them because they sound great and they seem solid enough to last for a few years without replacing parts. But it's a tough one to swallow.

I even had to send my cable back to Norne for retermination as the 560’s were pushing the plugs out from what I figure was a less than perfect job of tightening down the nut. The cable worked fine on the he400i though.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #18,558 of 21,169
Guys, I am really tempted to get the HE560 but mainly use my headphones with a DAP as I am not too keen on being tethered to a desk.

What portable amps do you recommend that will not hold back the full potential of the HE560?

The Fiio A5 springs to mind but I was not too impressed by it when I had it previously.

How does the Chord Mojo pair with the HE560, I had the mojo before and I found that it lacked a bit in dynamics and sub bass?

In recent posting it seems that the Mojo and the Ifi black label seem to be the most mentioned.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #18,559 of 21,169
Yes, soundwise, they are awesome.

I just inspected the overall quality under day light. Some spot where varnish is missing on the veneer, very poor job of finishing the plastic cups (some uneven spots), sharp edge where the cup meets the earpads. Looks like cheap plastic as well on the arcs holding the cups. The headband and the metal clamp are OK. But as far as the cups are concerned, it is something you would expect from a product found at Dollorama. I would be ashamed to ship such a poorly crafted product at any price. Seems like profit comes second, just after sound quality.

Shame on Hifiman.

I will keep them because they sound great and they seem solid enough to last for a few years without replacing parts. But it's a tough one to swallow.

I just bought a second pair of 560's (after my first were stolen) and they were definitely a returned pair sent to me as "new." Having been through an unboxing before, the second time around everything felt off. Cord wasn't wrapped, plastic wasn't on the cans fully, looked slapdash, etc. After listening for a few days the sound was also off what I remembered. Running through a few of my 'diagnostic' songs, I realized the right driver had some serious buzzing and crinkling sounds in the lows, and that earpad was also damaged in an inexpert removal. So, I returned them.

Anyway, my point is, if you think they are a returned pair, check for driver flaws, especially in the lows. As people can attest, the lows should be nothing short of flawless. Send them back otherwise.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #18,560 of 21,169

Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet is very good with 560. Also, my Opus#2 drives them very well without an external amp.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #18,561 of 21,169
I just bought a second pair of 560's (after my first were stolen) and they were definitely a returned pair sent to me as "new." Having been through an unboxing before, the second time around everything felt off. Cord wasn't wrapped, plastic wasn't on the cans fully, looked slapdash, etc. After listening for a few days the sound was also off what I remembered. Running through a few of my 'diagnostic' songs, I realized the right driver had some serious buzzing and crinkling sounds in the lows, and that earpad was also damaged in an inexpert removal. So, I returned them.

Anyway, my point is, if you think they are a returned pair, check for driver flaws, especially in the lows. As people can attest, the lows should be nothing short of flawless. Send them back otherwise.

At first, they did distort a bit on both sides. But then, everything settled. I can't pick anything wrong with the sound. They were packaged properly but there were signs of them having been opened, like a user manual with a slightly folded corner. The earpaps looked wrongly positioned and there is a bigger than normal gap between the earpad and the top of the cup on one side. Perhaps they were repaired. Anyway, i do not want to go through the process of returning them. The overall quality tells me a replacement would not be much better.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #18,562 of 21,169
At first, they did distort a bit on both sides. But then, everything settled. I can't pick anything wrong with the sound. They were packaged properly but there were signs of them having been opened, like a user manual with a slightly folded corner. The earpaps looked wrongly positioned and there is a bigger than normal gap between the earpad and the top of the cup on one side. Perhaps they were repaired. Anyway, i do not want to go through the process of returning them. The overall quality tells me a replacement would not be much better.

Sadly, that sounds like a fresh from the factory set. None of that is really out of the ordinary for HiFiMan QC. Remember, it is expensive "because it sound good," not because it built good. :laughing:

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #18,563 of 21,169
Sadly, that sounds like a fresh from the factory set. None of that is really out of the ordinary for HiFiMan QC. Remember, it is expensive "because it sound good," not because it built good. :laughing:
Yes, they really sound good, otherwise, i would already be at the post office. They are in a different league than everything i have heard before, including the hd700. So much better than the k701. These won't get much listening time in the months to come.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #18,564 of 21,169

Yup! Thankfully mine sound great and I have no reason to believe mine was returned it a second, just that I feel that the build quality seems to have suffered in the years since I pre-ordered for the first batch at Razordog.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #18,565 of 21,169
They really should make a premium version - like a pro version - that have better materials and QC. My batman pair are so beautifully built that it's obviously not an impossible ask.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #18,566 of 21,169
They really should make a premium version - like a pro version - that have better materials and QC. My batman pair are so beautifully built that it's obviously not an impossible ask.
Quality is at such a low level, one can objectively ask: how qualified are the workers, how much are they paid and how much does it cost to produce a unit?Compared to any other heaphones i own, including a 100$ mdr-7506, the he-560 is way behind.. I think it is time for hifiman to wake up and stop shipping such botched products. I even have a 50$ Bluedio headset that is better built.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #18,567 of 21,169

After trying the Mojo a few times I also felt like you that it lacked dynamics and sub-bass with most headphones that I used with it and one was the HE560. Its really strange since the Hugo has similar specs but pairs with the HE560 much better to me.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #18,568 of 21,169
I tried the HE560's again today with the Mojo and the pairing it's just not a good pairing to my ears. The HE560 sounds thin and lacks body. They lacked bass punch, dynamics and the music didn't have any weight to it. I enjoy them much more with my iDSD BL. It adds everything that the Mojo doesn't. The Mojo is still a great dac/amp but not with the HE560's.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #18,569 of 21,169
Quality is at such a low level, one can objectively ask: how qualified are the workers, how much are they paid and how much does it cost to produce a unit?Compared to any other heaphones i own, including a 100$ mdr-7506, the he-560 is way behind.. I think it is time for hifiman to wake up and stop shipping such botched products. I even have a 50$ Bluedio headset that is better built.

Unfortunately, I doubt anything will change with this company. Quality control and customer service will always be a hit or miss. They have been around for long enough to have made a change if that's something they want to do. I have had good luck with their products for the most part. I'm on my second HE-560 (first one was sold many years ago when I upgraded) and I'd rather buy something used than new with this company so I know exactly what I'm getting. Of course it helps when the used market for the HE-560 is a bargain these days.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #18,570 of 21,169
I tried the HE560's again today with the Mojo and the pairing it's just not a good pairing to my ears. The HE560 sounds thin and lacks body. They lacked bass punch, dynamics and the music didn't have any weight to it. I enjoy them much more with my iDSD BL. It adds everything that the Mojo doesn't. The Mojo is still a great dac/amp but not with the HE560's.
The first cheap dac amp, although not portable, i would try to pair with the he-560 is the audio-gd r2r 11, based on what i hear with my costly audio-gd setup. But make no mistake, the he-560 is a real audiophile heaphone, so it deserves a high-quality source and amp, with some balls for the latter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back