= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #17,551 of 21,171
  Hi,

I'm looking for a headphone with a warm, non-fatiguing, smooth treble (smooth upper-mids would probably be also good) for basically all kinds of music, mainly rap, rock and pop though.

From what I gathered so far the HE-560, the Focal Elear and the Audeze LCD-2 might fit my criteria.

So what do you think? Is the HE-560 worth a try for me? And how does it compare to the LCD-2 and the Elear?

I
had LCD 2 with F and having HE560 and Elear (also HD800 and AKG K812 and have had HE6 for short time). Based on my experience and what you looking for I  would say LCD2 (but less treble and not comfy in long run) or HE6. HE6 would be better
He560 is also very close to HE6 (very laid back similar to LCD. In LCD2 mids are very good and HE560 there is a bit dip but better than Elear in my view). At higher volumes Treble can be an issue for some with HE560. Also it required a powerful amp (it could be driven by Chord Mojo but powerful amp like Violectric V281 has something that cannot be translated to words- well people can argue on this but just think- driving 4 cylinder car and V6 at 120km/hr-both can do well above 120km but the driver and passengers will feel the difference and V6 which make things very smooth for all. So yes a small and mighty mojo can do the jobs but you are in a 4 Cylinder car not V6)
Elear is very good and very dynamic (in some cases too dynamic) specially if you want to have a laid back listen at night. I would say Elear has a more brighter background to He560 (laid back)  with very good impactful base (HE560 is not far behind here). HE560 would enable you to relax and enjoy
I do not think you could go wrong with HE560. If you get a good used for cheap and if you have a powerful amp then I would go with that.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #17,553 of 21,171
I still love my HE-560-but one of the earcups is coming undone. Anyone have a solution? The cover was never completely attached-and over time it is peeling off the foam. And now the foam is mostly off the ear cup.
Any solutions?

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #17,554 of 21,171
  I still love my HE-560-but one of the earcups is coming undone. Anyone have a solution? The cover was never completely attached-and over time it is peeling off the foam. And now the foam is mostly off the ear cup.
Any solutions?

Here is a pic. I see that you can buy earpads from HiFiMan. Unfortunately they are OUT of Focus pads. Grrrrrr!

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #17,555 of 21,171
Any solutions?

Unfortunately, this is a somewhat common problem among HE-560 and HE-400i owners - my focus pads on my 400i also suffered from this issue.

The way I solved it is I glued the flaps of the cover of the earpad back over the backing ring of the focus pads. Of course, you actually have to remove the pads from the earphone before doing this.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #17,556 of 21,171

Unfortunately, this is a somewhat common problem among HE-560 and HE-400i owners - my focus pads on my 400i also suffered from this issue.

The way I solved it is I glued the flaps of the cover of the earpad back over the backing ring of the focus pads. Of course, you actually have to remove the pads from the earphone before doing this.

Hi! What kind of glue did you use?
Thanks!
Eric

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #17,557 of 21,171
Just to add some input ... I drive the HE560 from the Jack of the iDSD micro .. at Eco mode 2 volts/ < 550mw at 8 ohm it sounds wimpy even at max volume
Switching to Normal mode 5.5 v /1900mw at 16 ohm the HE560 comes alive
I feel that the HE560 needs a big dose of voltage to sound good
it sounds even better with my 15watt stereo KT88 tube amp hooked up to the iDSD MICTO thru a resistor box. Surprising the eco mode cannot drive the setup ... same bland weak sound as iDSD direct.. it Needs the Normal power mode to sound good
My opinion is give the HE560 plenty of volts but tune the gain or volume knob low...Let us not blow up our ear drums ...
Happy listening everyone

I have the same experience with the HE-560 and the IDSD Micro.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #17,559 of 21,171
Contact cement might also work well. Apply it to both surfaces and let it dry (or get tacky), and then press the pieces together. You have to be very cateful, as you cannot peel it apart if you make a mistake.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #17,562 of 21,171
Contact cement might also work well. Apply it to both surfaces and let it dry (or get tacky), and then press the pieces together. You have to be very cateful, as you cannot peel it apart if you make a mistake.

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #17,564 of 21,171
Any solutions?

I recommend buying a new set of pads.  I have the Alpha pads from Mr. Speakers on mine, very comfortable and well built leather pads.  They require a bit of coaxing to make them accept the circular ring.  Another good choice are the pads from Lawton Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back