= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 13, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #17,146 of 21,168
If one is not a skilled listener... is getting 80 to 90% of the way there with something like the kameleon  ok?
Is better OK, when perfection is not obtainable by the user?

I have struggled with My 560 since day one to get it to where it does not aggravate me with the peaks that are part of its design.  have messed with parametric EQ etc. I find a complimentary DAC and amp to be helpful... still something is not right!
I think I may try one of these. Maybe it will make my life easier and enable me to enjoy the 560 more. At that point,  could care less about what a skilled listener can do. I just want to like my headphones.

If it doesn't work, it is a very small expenditure versus what I have already spent to make myself like the 560. (pads, cables, grills, damping, DACs. AMPS, tubes, etc.)

Your probably best selling the 560 and trying something else. The sound signature may just not be for you. I'd check out the ZMF lineup if you want a planar with a smoother top end.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #17,147 of 21,168

If one is not a skilled listener... is getting 80 to 90% of the way there with something like the kameleon  ok?

I have struggled with My 560 since day one to get it to where it does not aggravate me with the peaks that are part of its design.  have messed with parametric EQ etc. I find a complimentary DAC and amp to be helpful... still something is not right!
I think I may try one of these. Maybe it will make my life easier and enable me to enjoy the 560 more. At that point,  could care less about what a skilled listener can do. I just want to like my headphones.

If it doesn't work, it is a very small expenditure versus what I have already spent to make myself like the 560. (pads, cables, grills, damping, DACs. AMPS, tubes, etc.)

It sounds like you are trying to tune a headphone that is too far from your preferred sound signature.  Out of curiosity, is it only the treble peak that is bothering you? or are there other issues in the sound that need to be addressed?  I don't use any software EQ due to logistic reasons so just accept the sound of each headphone as is for the most parts.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #17,148 of 21,168
  It sounds like you are trying to tune a headphone that is too far from your preferred sound signature.  Out of curiosity, is it only the treble peak that is bothering you? or are there other issues in the sound that need to be addressed?  I don't use any software EQ due to logistic reasons so just accept the sound of each headphone as is for the most parts.

I like a warmer, smoother sound signature. The 560 offers such amazing clarity and bass for the price I find I want to keep mine and eq down the 3k-10k spike (well two spikes, but I just eq them together). I also bump the lowest subbass up a smidge. I find this is producing a very nice, smooth and balanced signature, with the planar transient response I love.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #17,149 of 21,168

It is a general thinness in the upper midrange and lower treble, exacerbated by the ~4k spike. I find that the Focus A pads, grill mods a smooth DAC and amp (I usually use my Liquid Carbon) along with judicious EQ makes them OK. As mentioned there are lots of redeeming factors. Their speed and overall clarity and detail with articulate bass make the effort worth it. I just think that a very well done hardware EQ .. if the tuner hears close to the way I do (big question there) would be real nice. I also have a few Garage 1217 amps, including one of my favorites with the 560, the Ember (With a pair of Visseaux tubes). This would make it integrate into the system easily.

This may end up being moot. I ordered a pair of He1000 headphones. If I like them as much as I have when I have auditioned them several times in the past, I may just sell the 560s.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #17,150 of 21,168

It is a general thinness in the upper midrange and lower treble, exacerbated by the ~4k spike. I find that the Focus A pads, grill mods a smooth DAC and amp (I usually use my Liquid Carbon) along with judicious EQ makes them OK. As mentioned there are lots of redeeming factors. Their speed and overall clarity and detail with articulate bass make the effort worth it. I just think that a very well done hardware EQ .. if the tuner hears close to the way I do (big question there) would be real nice. I also have a few Garage 1217 amps, including one of my favorites with the 560, the Ember (With a pair of Visseaux tubes). This would make it integrate into the system easily.

This may end up being moot. I ordered a pair of He1000 headphones. If I like them as much as I have when I have auditioned them several times in the past, I may just sell the 560s.

Have the 560's, got the HEK, hardly ever listen to the 560's since the purchase (I have them around because I do some reviews, good to have cans at different price ranges to compare what I'm reviewing to. But for my pleasure listening, the HEK is it). I suspect yours will be on the market.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #17,152 of 21,168

If you decide to sell your 560s, I might be interested in buying them.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #17,154 of 21,168
My time with the 560's were really enjoyable. Very good phones. As far as amping goes never tried tubes, but the nfb-1 & EC bw2 were the two smoothest amps I'd heard them on. The bw2 probably the best I've heard them sound.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #17,155 of 21,168
I'll back that too, on the Amperex tubes.  I've tried a variety of tubes in my Mjolnir2 and the Amperex 7308 and Telefunken E88CCs are my favorites so far.

I haven't yet compared the two back to back, but I'll get there eventually.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #17,156 of 21,168

If you decide to sell your 560s, I might be interested in buying them.

I will keep you in mind.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #17,157 of 21,168
I think amperex tubes add a really nice touch to the 560s dry midrange, if you ever feel like experimenting

I'll back that too, on the Amperex tubes.  I've tried a variety of tubes in my Mjolnir2 and the Amperex 7308 and Telefunken E88CCs are my favorites so far.

I haven't yet compared the two back to back, but I'll get there eventually.

I'll keep those in mind. They should work well in my Valhalla 2 as well.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #17,158 of 21,168
Regarding tubes. Don't hesitate to give some Valvo Heerlen E188CC's or CCa's, a shot. After a few years of rolling an insane amount of expensive tubes, they're the most holographic, lifelike sounding tubes. Their midrange is untouchable.
Soundstage is on par with Siemens CCa.

Sorry for derailing

Cheers

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #17,159 of 21,168
Regarding tubes. Don't hesitate to give some Valvo Heerlen E188CC's or CCa's, a shot. After a few years of rolling an insane amount of expensive tubes, they're the most holographic, lifelike sounding tubes. Their midrange is untouchable.
Soundstage is on par with Siemens CCa.

Sorry for derailing

Cheers

How's the treble on them?  Do you have LSST is a comparison?  My PQ fell and broke, so I'm in the market again for a new pair

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #17,160 of 21,168
The treble is well extended, smooth, detailed, and transitions into the midrange like no other tube I've ever rolled. I've never had LSST tubes for comparison. With that said, Imo , SS doesn't do holography like tubes. There's an added blacker , deeper presence with tubes, that gives a more 3D like sound.

Now that doesn't apply to all tubes.

Tubes like the Valvo(Heerlen E188CC/CCa or Eindhoven pinched waist CCa), Telefunken E188CC/CCa, and Siemens E188CC/CCa, are a prime example of my description. These tubes are the upper end of glass, and give you that atmospheric presentation on another level compared to your basic E88CC/6922.
It's all subjective, but that's how my ears have heard it over the years. YMMV.
Cheers
How's the treble on them?  Do you have LSST is a comparison?  My PQ fell and broke, so I'm in the market again for a new pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back