= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #16,681 of 21,166
I have both...it's late, too tired for a pint by point comparison, but let me just say, I almost never put on the 560 since I got the HEK. And, I really liked them before I got the HEK. In terms of Soundstage, detail, extended bass, natural presentation, mids, smooth open highs, the HEK is so much better (as it should be at 3x the price).

Thank you everyone who replied!

if HEK is that good I might have to sell my beloved HE-560 :frowning2: or maybe try to keep it in the family somehow. once I pick up my he-560 it is hard to put it down - and I am unable to listen to any of my other headphones sadly. Doctorjazz what amp/dac are you using with your HEK?

Thanks again
Haris

I have a few systems I work off of. My PC system uses Geek Out Signature Edition (v1), Regen, MicroZOTL2 amp. I also use my Living room system, Linn LP12 turntable, Pro Ject Tube box S phone, and either the headphone out of my Peachtree Grandpre preamp, or the MicroZOTL2. In the bedroom, I use line out from my Pono, into the Liquid Carbon. It sounds great from all of the above, but the LP12 system>PC>bedroom.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #16,682 of 21,166
  After listening to the HEK a few times and comparing it with the HE-560, I still like the HE-560 better, its just my preference in what I like.  I did the comparison on my friends system which consisted of MHDT Pagoda and AudioGD Master 7 DACs, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and EC Balancing Act for amps.  The one thing that I like better about the HEK is the comfort, better than HE-560 but still not HD-700 or SRH-1840 level.

I think the HEK is great but to me its worth $1500 at most and I liked the HD-800S a whole lot more at the same price.

Thank you - your post is very interesting. Maybe I need to Demo HEK or maybe even an HEX to see how they will stack up. It's too bad I dont know of any headphone stores in MN. Almost all of my headphones purchases haven been through Headfi or Audiogon without any auditions :frowning2: - Since you mention the HD-800S I would also like to try that but I am not sure if it can sounds as agile as a planar headphone. I love the attack and decay on planars :D

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #16,683 of 21,166
Auditioning, if you can, would always be a good idea...

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #16,684 of 21,166

Thank you - your post is very interesting. Maybe I need to Demo HEK or maybe even an HEX to see how they will stack up. It's too bad I dont know of any headphone stores in MN. Almost all of my headphones purchases haven been through Headfi or Audiogon without any auditions :frowning2: - Since you mention the HD-800S I would also like to try that but I am not sure if it can sounds as agile as a planar headphone. I love the attack and decay on planars :D

I'm lucky that I have a really rich friend who has all those great toys, only problem is I have to travel to Japan to visit him but he's over in Hawaii 3-4 times a year on business so he will sometimes bring gear over for me and I have another friend on the big island who also travels a lot for work and pleasure so they can bring and take stuff to and from Japan once every two months on average.

One thing I felt that made the HD-800S better than the HD-800 was that the "S" is just a bit easier to amp and for some that don't like the 6k peak its pretty well controlled.  If you do demo a HD-800/S make sure its with a amp that pairs well, it makes all the difference in the world on how the HD-800/S will sound while the HEK is much less amp picky in comparison but still needs good gear to get the most out of them.

I also tried the HEX, not my cup of tea in terms of sound signature, too smooth like there is no life in the sound but if you want a really easy to drive high end headphone its pretty good and I like it better than the LCD-X which is a direct competitor.

Only real issue is that the HE-560 and HD-800 like different amp designs, what will work great for the HE-560 usually sucks for the HD-800 unless you get up in the higher price gear like the Liquid Glass and Gold which I think are two of the best universal amps that can drive almost headphone that I would consider aside from E-stats.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #16,685 of 21,166
  Hello HE-560 owners

Did anyone ever compare the HE-560 to HE -1000? I am in the market for a used HE-1000, and just wondering how they compare I am interested int he following details. I already own the HE-560 and I think they are amazing. 

If you have owned or auditioned the HE-1000 how would you rank it vs 560 in the categories below?

Highs
Mids
Lows
Speed
Agility
Genre type?

Thank you - I will use Audio-gd NFB Amp 1 or Oppo HA-1 with balanced cabled

Haris

Hmm the HE1000s generally sound much larger, smoother, more detailed, a more forward midrange (none of the dryness a 560 can have), and have  without a doubt better bass.   All around better, and I think the HE1000 was designed to be the safest TOTL you could really go to.   There is a hardness and brightness to the 560 ( that I only really get in direct comparison to other headphones), that the 1K will expose.

Also try out the HD800S, or a modded HD800.  I think the slight edge in bass depth planars have might be edged out by how well the 800S does top to bottom

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #16,687 of 21,166
Hmm, not to my ears. The HD800S soundstage is wider and a bit deeper as the HE-1k. I had the HD800S and the HE-1K at home at the same time for two weeks - I don't own them but tried them. My 560 soundstage is smaller especially as I use my 560 with the leather pads that actually shrink it a bit, but raise the bass impact, which I prefer, so willing to sacrifice soundstage for that.

Cheers.

Tanks!

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #16,688 of 21,166
Thoughts on new modi multibit as pertains to 560 + r2r DAC? Think it'll pair well?

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #16,689 of 21,166
Thoughts on new modi multibit as pertains to 560 + r2r DAC? Think it'll pair well?

Searching Bifrost MB vs 4490 might yield some helpful impressions as some preferred the DS dac chip to MB. I remember a couple helpful impressions that compared how the two affected the sound. I thought the 4490 would impose the sound I was looking to get out of the 560 vs multibit.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #16,690 of 21,166
@raybone0566 

thanks man, looks cool ... i would just leave planar drivers open without any grill at all, would look sweet )  all thou maybe its not such a good idea , all the dust and scrap may get in the driver ...

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #16,691 of 21,166
@raybone0566

thanks man, looks cool ... i would just leave planar drivers open without any grill at all, would look sweet )  all thou maybe its not such a good idea , all the dust and scrap may get in the driver ...
Before the grill mod

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #16,692 of 21,166
  Searching Bifrost MB vs 4490 might yield some helpful impressions as some preferred the DS dac chip to MB. I remember a couple helpful impressions that compared how the two affected the sound. I thought the 4490 would impose the sound I was looking to get out of the 560 vs multibit.

Oh, good idea. Thanks. I've been geeking out / drowning in R2R/Multibit vs D/S threads :) 

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #16,693 of 21,166
Heads-down on a chill, focused afternoon work session 

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #16,694 of 21,166

Oh, good idea. Thanks. I've been geeking out / drowning in R2R/Multibit vs D/S threads :) 

I'm sure the differences are rather small despite all the hype you read and I would even suggest in blind listening tests, people would have a harder time than they expect telling R2R from a DS implementation, assuming both are well done and not with major signature differences. I heard the Yggy and frankly despite it driving an LCD 3 via the Schiit Rag it just didn't seem to be magic.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #16,695 of 21,166
by the way , removing grills effect sound ?  Does it sound more open ?  or differences are too small to mention ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back