= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 20, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #16,637 of 21,169

Quote:

Stock tubes on Ember sound good? 

And yes, looks matter. A little. :) 

Thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention about the Ember is that you can change the LED color or even turn it off, its one of the reasons my GF bought it:

she likes the color pink
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #16,638 of 21,169

Ha ha, nice! It would match the $20 LED color strip I bought for a "desk lamp" in my old basement cave home office. 

Those are cool amps, though. The Schiit stuff goes with everything, but those have way more personality. 

If only Woo Audio was (a lot) cheaper to buy!

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #16,639 of 21,169
That's a good looking cable from a great head fier.

Totally. 

I wound up going cheap and ordering a $30 cable off Amazon. Arrived today, and so far sounds as good as I remember the stock cable sounding. Kinda thin, not the best looking, but the connector screwed on like it's supposed to and the right driver is back to making lovely noises once again.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #16,640 of 21,169
  No huge point in upgrading from Modi 1 to 2 Uber unless you need extra inputs, sounded the same to me. The Bifrost 4490 was a bit more noticeable upgrade.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Anybody have experience with the Grace M9xx? Love the compact design, and saw a used one go up for sale, which I've never seen before. 520? @DavidA ? 

Cheers

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #16,641 of 21,169

Makes sense. Thanks!

Anybody have experience with the Grace M9xx? Love the compact design, and saw a used one go up for sale, which I've never seen before. 520? @DavidA ? 

Cheers

Never tried the m9xx, some seem to like it with a HD-800 so it can't be that bad.  I might be wrong but I think someone had one with the HE-560 a while ago and I don't remember if it was good or bad, sorry.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #16,642 of 21,169
Naim Headline 2 with NAPCS power supply   sounds good with he560...
Pitch black background and impressive dynamics.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #16,643 of 21,169
  Naim Headline 2 with NAPCS power supply   sounds good with he560...
Pitch black background and impressive dynamics.

NAIM makes sweet sounding gear. I sold some Neat Motive speakers and apparently among Naim fans, Neat speakers have a special synergy. Never have owned Naim although I almost bought the Supernait2.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #16,644 of 21,169

Makes sense. Thanks!

Cheers

A few people have loved the M9XX with the 400i so it isn't hard to believe the 560 might do well with it, just a tougher load, but not massively so.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #16,645 of 21,169
  Current Setup: Modi 1 > Magni 2 > HE-560

Since HE-560 requires more power than most amps, and because you will likely get more bang for the buck out of a new amp, I would keep your existing DAC for now and upgrade the amp first. Upgrade to the best amp you can afford and then do the same for the DAC when your budget allows.

Since you say you aren't interested in tube rolling, I would stick with solid state. The Gustard is considered by many here to be a great pairing for the HE-560. You hear it mentioned more than any other amp.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #16,646 of 21,169
Thanks, everyone.

Any genesis fans out here? After getting my replacement cable earlier in the week, I dove deep into Seconds Out and Trick of the Tail, along with some live clips on YouTube (there's a cool outtake from three sides live that didn't make the album). Fun stuff along the lines of ever so slightly "mainstream" prog.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #16,647 of 21,169
Thanks, everyone.

Any genesis fans out here? After getting my replacement cable earlier in the week, I dove deep into Seconds Out and Trick of the Tail, along with some live clips on YouTube (there's a cool outtake from three sides live that didn't make the album). Fun stuff along the lines of ever so slightly "mainstream" prog.

Love Genesis. One of my favorite albums is We Can't Dance as the recording quality is quite high. Dreaming While You Sleep is perhaps my favorite cut from that album along with No Son Of Mine. I also love old Genesis (I'm 48) so I have been listening to them for years. Plus I play the drums and Phil Collins is just a sick drummer.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #16,648 of 21,169
Thanks, everyone.

As well, people underestimate just how good the headphone out on some vintage 80s and 90s integrated amps and receivers were. You can often find very good units refurbished and running perfectly for extremely reasonable prices, plus you can drive speakers. I also still do this, I use speaker taps right from my integrated amp speaker terminals. Did this with the 560, TH 900, Sony Z7, HE 400i, TH 600, LCD 2F, and Onkyo A800. All the same amp, and all amazing results.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #16,649 of 21,169
I also love old Genesis (I'm 48) so I have been listening to them for years. Plus I play the drums and Phil Collins is just a sick drummer.

Same here, all around. Except I'm "only" 42 :wink:

One of the first songs I ever played in a band was Abacab, mainly because our keyboard player knew the chords and I knew most of the words. In ninth grade, logic can be pretty simple.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #16,650 of 21,169
Same here, all around. Except I'm "only" 42 :wink:

One of the first songs I ever played in a band was Abacab, mainly because our keyboard player knew the chords and I knew most of the words. In ninth grade, logic can be pretty simple.

My logic has remained that simple to this day! Love Abacab. I saw a YouTube video of this young dude who endorses Pearl playing In The Air Tonight, it was amazing. I think if you google Cooper, Pearl drums In The Air tonight you will find it. Well worth the watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back