= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #16,547 of 21,171
  I use double sided tape inbetween the gap for that, black tape would look bad. Bass impact has improved by doing this.

Can you share a few pics?

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #16,548 of 21,171
Damn it... feels like i payed the €€€€€€€€€€€ and don't have to "fix" a new headphone ...

anyway, i spoke with hifiman , they offer to replace headphones , and now i sit in the chair , throw my feet on a coffee table, drink irish ale , and think ... the new pair that comes will probably have same quality control and i will end up with new surprises ...

i see people have same issues , so i guess i am not the only one ... well , it is what it is , still a damn good headphone :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #16,549 of 21,171
i think silicone glue is a good fix , maybe glue some acoustic foam around the cup hmmmm

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #16,550 of 21,171
When your wearing the headphones, shouldn't the pressure of the clamping press the pad back against the cup.

You could also try putting them on backwards to see if there is any difference in bass from side to side. If not, enjoy.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #16,552 of 21,171
I'm considering trying out a different set of headphone cables for this lovely fella, any recommendations, stories or experiences here to tell? Living in Netherlands so for a first timer might be easier to order something from within Europe, but fire away please with your experiences :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #16,553 of 21,171
  I'm considering trying out a different set of headphone cables for this lovely fella, any recommendations, stories or experiences here to tell? Living in Netherlands so for a first timer might be easier to order something from within Europe, but fire away please with your experiences :)

Cables are a touchy subject so this is just my impressions/experiences so far.  The way that I've been testing to see if there is a difference is to have my GF switch the cables without me being able to see which is which and just listen, a simple blind test.  The only time I was able to notice any differences in sound were 1) changing the stock non-removable cable of the K553 to dual entry removable (sound stage got a touch better and over all sound was a touch more dynamic), and 2) re-cabling my SR-225e after the original cable was damaged after being run over by a desk chair (the silver plated OFC cable gave a slightly more dynamic sound than the heavy 8 cable original).

I had a Forza cable, hybrid (IIRC) 3m cable, one of the best looking cables I have used, like a piece of art, a touch on the heavy side due to the 8 wire braid.  I received it as a gift from a friend along with a Double Helix cable that was terminated for my HD-800, if I had a lot of extra cash then I would use these beautiful cables but only because they are elegant works of art, they do nothing to change/improve the sound IMO.

I have been making my own cables with Mogami, Canare, no name Chinese, and Cardas wires and haven't noticed any changes /  improvement in sound over the stock ones, there may be differences but are so slight that between my GF and I we can't tell.  But for usability they are much better than the stock.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #16,554 of 21,171
I may have to look in to making a cable. I dropped the 560 during my move and snapped the Smc connector on my stock cable. The little brass/ tin stem broke. Bummer it was my only SE cable. I seem to like the 560 better SE. Probably because I like the gustard with it. Nice synergy

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #16,555 of 21,171
I may have to look in to making a cable. I dropped the 560 during my move and snapped the Smc connector on my stock cable. The little brass/ tin stem broke. Bummer it was my only SE cable. I seem to like the 560 better SE. Probably because I like the gustard with it. Nice synergy

Let me know if you need help sourcing parts

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #16,556 of 21,171
I've never worked on a cable . But obviously have nothing to lose. The cable is worthless at this point.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #16,557 of 21,171
I've never worked on a cable . But obviously have nothing to lose. The cable is worthless at this point.

We offer several cable components on our website, if you want to give DIY a try:
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/parts.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 1, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #16,558 of 21,171
In my experience cable upgrade made huge difference in my speakers system. Now i use Chord cables only.

I havent tryed recabling headphones yet, but i am curious about some cables out there , like nordost and forza. Price is unreasonable in my opinion, some cables can cost 70% of he560 price and thats a deal breaker for me.

My speaker setup cost like 7000 € and spending 700€ on cables was allright, speaking in terms of value...
Chord cables didnt change sound character of my gear, it simply made it cleaner tighter and smoother.

If I decide on geting forza hpc cable ill share my imprssions. ...

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #16,559 of 21,171
In my experience cable upgrade made huge difference in my speakers system. Now i use Chord cables only.

I havent tryed recabling headphones yet, but i am curious about some cables out there , like nordost and forza. Price is unreasonable in my opinion, some cables can cost 70% of he560 price and thats a deal breaker for me.

My speaker setup cost like 7000 € and spending 700€ on cables was allright, speaking in terms of value...
Chord cables didnt change sound character of my gear, it simply made it cleaner tighter and smoother.

If I decide on geting forza hpc cable ill share my imprssions. ...

Cables are a touchy subject so this is only my impressions/experiences.

Good cables for speakers make sense to me and I've been able to hear differences, most were notable on longer runs like 5m or more.

When it comes to headphones I've yet to hear any sonic differences with high priced cables, had a Forza and Double Helix, both gorgeous to look at and if I had the funds I would use them on all my headphones.   But since I'm not in the top .01% of income I made do with cables I've made from Canare, Mogami, Cardas and some no name silver plated copper from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back