= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 2, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #14,671 of 21,169
  Hey everyone, long time lurker since around 2011 here. I'm excited to say I have these coming in the mail from that Black Friday deal and I'm very hyped up. I hear the Gustard H10 is a very good amp for these and I am willing to purchase it, but something a little cheaper at around $300 would be nicer for the budget, although if the H10 is just that good then by all means.

Also, if anyone has experience I'd like to hear some impressions on the original Magni vs H10, as I have a Magni, and the HE-560 vs the HE-400 since the HE-400 has been my daily for 2 years now.

Side note: I owned the HE-400 and HD 650 simultaneously for a period of several months, but ultimately sold the HD 650 since I needed money and liked the HE-400 more. Now, I still liked the HD 650 quite a bit and loved the midrange, I just liked the bass extension and "larger" sound the HE-400 had. Not larger as in soundstage, but just that lush, full-bodied sound that the HE-400 has. Also the 650 was a little too polite for my tastes.

Hi!

My experience when I still had the H10: After getting the HE560 the HE400 gets no head time anymore. But I must admit that I am also liking the HD650 more than then HE400. However I still have my HE400 and use it occasionally - it's still a great headphone. But I guarantee, after using the 560 for some time.... 
wink_face.gif

I actually like the hifiman leather pads the best on the 560. 

Cheers,
K

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #14,672 of 21,169

Hi!

My experience when I still had the H10: After getting the HE560 the HE400 gets no head time anymore. But I must admit that I am also liking the HD650 more than then HE400. However I still have my HE400 and use it occasionally - it's still a great headphone. But I guarantee, after using the 560 for some time.... 
wink_face.gif

I actually like the hifiman leather pads the best on the 560. 

Cheers,
K

Interesting. Is there a sound difference between the leather pads and the Focus pads ?
For now I use Focus pads as I prefer their sound, they are more airy compared to the Focus A.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #14,673 of 21,169
  Hey everyone, long time lurker since around 2011 here. I'm excited to say I have these coming in the mail from that Black Friday deal and I'm very hyped up. I hear the Gustard H10 is a very good amp for these and I am willing to purchase it, but something a little cheaper at around $300 would be nicer for the budget, although if the H10 is just that good then by all means.
(...)

As has been said by many of us, the Polaris is excellent with the 560. The sound is much better than with the Magni.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #14,675 of 21,169

Also, if anyone has experience I'd like to hear some impressions on the original Magni vs H10, as I have a Magni, and the HE-560 vs the HE-400 since the HE-400 has been my daily for 2 years now.

Side note: I owned the HE-400 and HD 650 simultaneously for a period of several months, but ultimately sold the HD 650 since I needed money and liked the HE-400 more. Now, I still liked the HD 650 quite a bit and loved the midrange, I just liked the bass extension and "larger" sound the HE-400 had. Not larger as in soundstage, but just that lush, full-bodied sound that the HE-400 has. Also the 650 was a little too polite for my tastes.

Make sure you roam the classifieds before you dive in. Some good deals out there. Also my suggestion and personal opinion is that upgrading the cable made a noticeable difference to me. A nice copper cable seems to suit them well although some people say silver. I have a Norne Draug V2 and I love it. Can't speak to my Toxic Cables silver widow ones because I lack the adapter to use them as they are setup for my audeze cans.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #14,677 of 21,169

Interesting. Is there a sound difference between the leather pads and the Focus pads ?
For now I use Focus pads as I prefer their sound, they are more airy compared to the Focus A.

Wait, there are three types?

I thought we had two, the FocusPad (that come with the HE560) and its pre-production version, which Hifiman calls the FocusPad A and sells because some customers preferred it.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #14,678 of 21,169

LOL. Here we go. Just want to say getting them to be "Loud Enough" is one thing but pushing them to their potential is another. Similar to the HE6 (of course they are not as picky) I feel like they crave power. I mean I'm at about 9pm on my Mjolnir and thats 5W lol.

Exactly what I think! "Loud enough" is totally different from correctly driving. The audio ports of my computer are able to make most headphones loud enough probably. Doesn't mean stuff doesn't sound terrible out of it. My current amp probably isn't bring the absolute best out of it, but I'd say it does a decent enough job for what it costs.

Make sure you roam the classifieds before you dive in. Some good deals out there. Also my suggestion and personal opinion is that upgrading the cable made a noticeable difference to me. A nice copper cable seems to suit them well although some people say silver. I have a Norne Draug V2 and I love it. Can't speak to my Toxic Cables silver widow ones because I lack the adapter to use them as they are setup for my audeze cans.

The copper vs. silver thing really just depends on preference. I currently have a silver cable on mine and I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a slight sensitivity to treble. It's not really all that harsh, but might be a little much for anyone with at least slight treble sensitivity. Isn't the stock cable copper? I felt like that's actually a pretty nice cable, it's just a bit too long for my needs and the 1/4" jack is cumbersome for my setup.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #14,679 of 21,169

I like the stock pads and the Focus A pads too but the leather (actually not real leather but protein leather) do bring out the bass, you loose however soundstage to a certain extent. It's a trade off.

Cheers,
K

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #14,680 of 21,169

Wait, there are three types?

I thought we had two, the FocusPad (that come with the HE560) and its pre-production version, which Hifiman calls the FocusPad A and sells because some customers preferred it.

No,  four types ! Take a look on accessories.
http://www.hifiman.com/products

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #14,681 of 21,169
FIVE types: 2x original HE pads (velour and pleather); 2x FocusPads; new, el-cheapo "all velour" FocusPad-lookin' things  
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #14,682 of 21,169
  FIVE types: 2x original HE pads (velour and pleather); 2x FocusPads; new, el-cheapo "all velour" FocusPad-lookin' things  
biggrin.gif

You mean they ones on the HE400S? Cuz those velour pads aren't all that FocusPad looking to me. But they're at least not fully leather, I've never liked full leather, not as comfortable to me as velours.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #14,683 of 21,169
  No,  four types ! Take a look on accessories.
http://www.hifiman.com/products

Aha, thanks. I had read the product descriptions but somehow came away with the idea that the FocusPads are meant for the 560 and the velour and leather less so, even if they fit.  Now I see that it's not really what they describe.

I just tacked the FocusPad A on to an order for the case to see how they feel and sound, but I imagine they're the closest to the FocusPad in both respects.  It's already like draping a kitten over my ears, so I'm not experimenting for comfort.  After laying down a couple Euro Benjamins for case, pads and 3.5mm cable, I'm done turning my HE560 into the sailboat of headphones, but I'm curious to know whether the foam of the leather pads differs.  Denser, squishier?  The leather is grabbier, I suppose....mine do tend to slide back.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #14,685 of 21,169
Bloody hell.

As yo know I got my HE-560 back and couldn't be happier. So what does the local distributor/reseller do? He gives me his HE-1000 demo/beta version to listen to for a week.... what an evil, evil man.

However, I must admit: The HE-560 is holding up extremely well - while the HE-1000 is still the perfect "dream" headphone for me, the 560 is a game changer, no doubt.  Still very very impressed with it.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back