= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 13, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #13,666 of 21,168
Ask the seller? Ask for high res photos? No-one else can possibly answer that

Hi, this is Peter from HiFiMAN. Here is what I suggest:

You should find out if this is a dealer or another consumer that is selling the headphone.

How old is the headphone? Is it one of the early samples with the ear cup made of wood or a later version with wood trim?

A preproduction headphone was never intended for resale so it would not have a warranty. 

HiFiMAN products' warranty extends to the first purchaser. So if it is a dealer with a stock HE-560, the warranty is good. If it is a consumer reselling their headphone, it does not. 

Hope that helps. Let me know what you find out.

Peter

LFC_SL and Peter:  Thanks for your prompt responses. As a matter of fact, I have contacted the seller, but he seems unable to offer me a lot of information about the unit... He simply claims not to know much about it, except that it is "new in the box."

I can actually provide the link to the item here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261966251262?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wonder whether "new in the box" refers to a standard retail box, as one might find it in a shop...

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #13,667 of 21,168
[quote name="sahmen" url="/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/13600_100#post

LFC_SL and Peter:  Thanks for your prompt responses. As a matter of fact, I have contacted the seller, but he seems unable to offer me a lot of information about the unit... He simply claims not to know much about it, except that it is "new in the box."

I can actually provide the link to the item here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261966251262?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wonder whether "new in the box" refers to a standard retail box, as one might find it in a shop...
[/quote]

Those look like the all wood Beta Units, wonder where they got them?

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #13,668 of 21,168
Those look like the all wood Beta Units, wonder where they got them?

I do know that some people kept their wood ones, I'm not sure if HiFiMan got them all back.  I was going to say they could have stolen someone's photo, but a reverse image lookup brings back no results :p  

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #13,669 of 21,168

I am researching this. I recall that the HE560 with wood ear cups was preproduction only and that only and that by the time we had loaned HE560 into the market last summer, it was black with wood trim.

Rather than rely on memory, I will get more information and give you an update.

Peter 

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #13,670 of 21,168

I am researching this. I recall that the HE560 with wood ear cups was preproduction only and that only and that by the time we had loaned HE560 into the market last summer, it was black with wood trim.

Peter 

I do remember some people who pre-ordered got the ones with wood cups.  But were asked to return them in exchange for the final revision.  I could be wrong.  

But just in case: QUICK, BUY YOUR PREPRODUCTION MODEL BACK! :p  

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #13,671 of 21,168

Peter 

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #13,672 of 21,168
From what I remember reading on this thread over a year ago, the pre order* all wood ones sounded thinner and the wood cracked for someone. I know at least one person kept his instead of going with the production unit. 

The all wood ones may be so rare they will be worth MILLIONS one day 
deadhorse.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #13,673 of 21,168

Yep, we recalled all of the ones with wood ear cups because of cracking. What I will find out is if they were preproduction or they were the first ones sold on a pre-order basis. We wanted to replace them with the design but as noted some would not send them back. 

The original question was if they would have a warranty and they would not. 

Peter

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #13,674 of 21,168

Okay, I confirmed that th early HE560s with wood ear cups were sold on a pre-order basis. We found that the wood was cracking so we recalled them to replace with new design which has been very reliable.

A few of the original buyers did not return their phones for whatever reason. We believe this is one of them. 

Because they are over a year old and because they are being resold by the original buyer, they would not have a warranty. Hope that helps. 

Peter

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #13,676 of 21,168

Yep, we recalled all of the ones with wood ear cups because of cracking. What I will find out is if they were preproduction or they were the first ones sold on a pre-order basis. We wanted to replace them with the design but as noted some would not send them back. 

The original question was if they would have a warranty and they would not. 

Peter

Thanks: it does not seem smart to drop this much cash on the unit, if it is not going to be covered by some kind of Hifiman warranty, even if it is touted as "new and sealed in the box," or especially because it is "New and still sealed in the box," since that means untested for possible defects or even DOA outcomes.  Being an auction, it could be won at a great price (which is its main attraction), but the seller does not offer any return policy, and that seems to make it a rather risky venture. Still, in the interest of possible future deals, it would be great if we could find out how to tell the difference (at least cosmetically) between the pre-production, and the initial pre-order units that were shipped, since they seem to have slightly different sound signatures, if my thinking is correct.

PS:  Peter, I have now seen your latest post (#13674) on this question. Thanks for your efforts.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #13,677 of 21,168
I'm suspicious of that photo.  If the seller can't post his own photos, and more of them, I'd pass.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it were not as pictured, but is the finalized version.  I bet we'll never know.  I do see it says, "They are new still sealed in the box" but I can't recall if I had to break a seal to see them.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #13,678 of 21,168

He couldn't very well take that picture of headphones that are sealed in the box... now could he?

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #13,679 of 21,168
He couldn't very well take that picture of headphones that are sealed in the box... now could he?

Uhhhhhhhh.......yep, didn't Audio Advisor have pics of the discontinued all wood units long after they were revised?

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #13,680 of 21,168
When I got my HE-560 new inside the shipping box I don't remember anything sealing the box holding the HE-560. It was just something you slide off and it opens and you can put it back without anyone knowing.

I would pass on that ebay ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back