= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #11,791 of 21,168
I agree that the HE-560 could be considered "boring" from a neutrality point of view, but one of the things that struck me the first time I listened to them (coming from dynamic cans - HD600/HF2 & others) was their speed. I think this speed in itself makes them great as a toe-tapping set of headphones.  I find it hard to go back to my dynamic cans now for this specific reason.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #11,794 of 21,168
Sweet! My source is Shiit Gungnir and I listen mostly to classical music. I was looking at EF-6 but wonder if anyone use RAGNAROK as the amp. Please let me know if you have any other musical amps to recommend too!
Thanks!

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #11,796 of 21,168
What's so exciting about a V or U shaped response? The treble usually gets a bit grating and a booming bass that doesn't allow the distinction of musical notes is not something that I would look forward to. The suppressed mids changes the coloration of voices and many musical instruments. I'll have to pass on this.
If anything I will EQ up the sub bass but not allow it to bleed above.

the commonly used definition for fun or exciting headphones is emphasized bass and treble... aka the vshaped sound.

It relates to how our bodies are programmed to respond to certain frequencies. low frequency rumbling and and high frequency sounds signal danger to our brain which causes us to release cortisol.

that is why movies use a lot of bass to increase the tension of a scene and firetrucks/police cars use high-pitched sirens.

:)

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #11,797 of 21,168
Those sirens aren't as high pitched as you think-- most lie in the midrange.

I personally don't find any typical frequency response more exciting than others, as I've found examples of different types all rather engaging, as well examples of all types that I found rather boring.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #11,799 of 21,168
the commonly used definition for fun or exciting headphones is emphasized bass and treble... aka the vshaped sound.

It relates to how our bodies are programmed to respond to certain frequencies. low frequency rumbling and and high frequency sounds signal danger to our brain which causes us to release cortisol.

that is why movies use a lot of bass to increase the tension of a scene and firetrucks/police cars use high-pitched sirens.

smily_headphones1.gif

That's all I need, to feel a sense of danger when I'm trying to enjoy some music. 
biggrin.gif
 I'll skip the part about adrenaline squirting out of my ears, that should make a nice visual metaphor. 
eek.gif

We have great timing tonight, I just heard a fire truck go by. Good thing it's not coming my way.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #11,800 of 21,168
  Would you guys consider the HE-560 to be a top contender for the best cans under $1000? HD800 is over my budget so I am looking at others. 

I do! I listen to more Classical and Acoustic than anything else and the HE-560 just sounded closer to "reality" than the Audeze LCD-2 (my other consideration) to me.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #11,801 of 21,168
  Sweet! My source is Shiit Gungnir and I listen mostly to classical music. I was looking at EF-6 but wonder if anyone use RAGNAROK as the amp. Please let me know if you have any other musical amps to recommend too!
Thanks!

I have a Gungnir as well, very good synergy with the 560 due to the slight warmth of the DAC. Absolutely the 560 are certainly in the running for top can under 1K. Plenty of detail, scales well, tonally accurate (mostly anyway), musical, large enough to present scale well. I am convinced that size of driver is behind much of what we like. Look at all the top tier cans, there are no 40mm drivers there (portable cans aside of course). Large immersive sound fields are engaging and the 560 are large enough to qualify in that regard.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #11,804 of 21,168
The HE-560 is "boring" like vanilla ice cream. It's not intense like your chocolaty LCDs. I like chocolate, but I find vanilla pairs well with a lot more flavors.
. Sure. If you like your ice cream with a blanket thrown over it. Go lcd.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #11,805 of 21,168
. Sure. If you like your ice cream with a blanket thrown over it. Go lcd.

I know what you are saying, but warmer sound signatures are quite popular for a reason, they are really easy to listen to and really forgiving. Hell, look at the 650, that can just keeps on selling. I'm sure it is by far and away the best selling mid-tier priced headphone of all time. I wonder if such stats are available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back