= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 22, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5,731 of 21,171
They screw in fine. But sound goes in and out if you move your head an inch or two. They just seem to have an extremely loose connection. Not a problem with the HE500, just these. Stock cable connects perfectly. Going to ask Trevor @ Norne tomorrow.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #5,732 of 21,171
  They screw in fine. But sound goes in and out if you move your head an inch or two. They just seem to have an extremely loose connection. Not a problem with the HE500, just these. Stock cable connects perfectly. Going to ask Trevor @ Norne tomorrow.

Does the sound completely drop out, or just decrease in volume? And on both sides, or just one? If it completely drops out then it's definitely a connection issue - either the connectors on the Norne cable are too badly worn or perhaps there's actually a loose or shorting wire inside the connector. Have you got another Hifiman headphone that you can try the Norne cable on? Since the stock cable for the HE-560 works, it's almost certain to be something not quite right with the Norne cable. Hopefully Trevor @ Norne can help you out, but I suspect it will mean sending the cable back to them for repair. If you're good with a soldering iron, you can order brand new SMC plugs for the cable and replace them yourself. I got mine for $10 a pair.

Regardless, good luck!

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5,733 of 21,171
Well, I'll add my 2 cents to 'Pad-Gate' and then leave it alone until a new thread appears. I received my FocusPad-A's earlier today and have been doing comparisons of them and the FocusPad that shipped with the production model HE-560. Like others have mentioned, the pre-order FocusPad-A's have a slightly warmer signature - likely due to a minor increase in the perceived level of bass. This increased bass perception is most likely due to the fact that the FocusPad-A's are thinner/more compressed and as such, your ear sits closer to the driver. I did some testing where I wore a FocusPad on my left ear and a FocusPad-A on my right ear (and then vice-versa later on). The slight warmth and perception that things are louder with the FocusPad-A is something that I agree with.

Alas, my biggest worry came to pass - I don't find the FocusPad-A's comfortable at all. Again, I don't have what I would call big ears but they definitely rub in the FocusPad-A's, both around the circumference and against the driver itself. This is something that I can't tolerate for extended periods of time. The slight improvement in bass and the slightly warmer signature are something I can live without (or I can simulate using EQ if I want to). I'll hold onto the FocusPad-A's for now, but I've reverted mine back to the production FocusPads and expect they'll stay that way. I'm surprised I didn't manage to break the tabs on any of the pads with the number of times I swapped them around!

Anyhow, that's my take on 'Pad-Gate'. Hope it helps others somewhat...

Dale

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5,734 of 21,171
@Dale, thanks for the comments on the cable and connectors..  

I know what you mean about the pads and the size.  I sort of have to wiggle them around a bit when I'm putting the headphones on to get my ears to sit inside the openings without any weird compression.  Not ideal but I am sure looking forward to the original pads.

I'm wondering if you would characterize the sound difference to be like going from the pleathers to the velours on the older HE models.
When I had one Focus pad and one Focus A pad (as my HE560s arrived with), I feel like there was a little more sparkle to the top end even if it was only in one ear.  I can't tell if it's the burn in or the fact that I'm on both Focus A pads as I await the arrival of the Focus pads.
Being 45, I think the extra treble energy others comment on will be welcome for my ears.  
Just musing as I look forward to the arrival of the focus pads.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #5,735 of 21,171
The 560 and hd800 are hardly comparable. Perhaps the 560 gets closer than many other planars, but still. To my ears the hd800 is technically superior except in the bass, but the overall sound is very different and 560 doesn't have the FR related 'flaws' of the hd800 in the treble.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #5,736 of 21,171
The 560 and hd800 are hardly comparable. Perhaps the 560 gets closer than many other planars, but still. To my ears the hd800 is technically superior except in the bass, but the overall sound is very different and 560 doesn't have the FR related 'flaws' of the hd800 in the treble.

So, in your opinion....would these two headphones compliment each other well.

This is kind of the direction that I have been thinking about going.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #5,737 of 21,171

So, in your opinion....would these two headphones compliment each other well.

This is kind of the direction that I have been thinking about going.

Yes, very much so!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,738 of 21,171
@SBranson - my experience with earlier Hifiman models was almost exclusively using the velour pads. I did get to try a pair of HE-500s with the pleather pads, but the overwhelming time I've spent with my friend's velour equipped HE-500 has tainted my recollection. My ears are 50 so I'm not too far ahead of you.

However, working in the medical industry has always given me the impetus to take good care of my hearing. That and an incident early on in my 20's where the left channel of the headphone output on a vintage receiver failed and delivered full volume sound to my left ear. It took many years of working with an audiologist and various white and pink noise patterns to re-train my left ear to match my right. I'm sure some of the equalization was the hearing in my right ear declining as I've aged.

In any case, I can't really say if the older pleather to velour exchange provided the same changes as going from FocusPad-As to FocusPads. I never really noticed a 4KHz peak with the FocusPads, just like I've never heard the HD800s so-called treble harshness. I guess I can be thankful that my ears have aged as they have but my last audiology screening shows my hearing is pretty equal in both ears and extends cleanly to 14KHz and then starts dropping to around -4db at 20KHz.

@davidsh/whirlwind - I completely agree that the HE-560 and HD800 are complimentary to each other, but based on my hearing, it's because I find them to be somewhat similar in the range of frequencies they present. Certainly the HD800 has the wider and more neutral soundstage, but both cans seem to be able to create the moods I enjoy.

Dale

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #5,740 of 21,171
You can't win for losing sometimes as they say. My A18 amp is stuck in customs which is not only bad because I can't use my 560s, but you just know I am going to get killed with duties and taxes. Damn.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #5,741 of 21,171
Gotta love CBSA, eh?  I once had to pay tax on something returned to me for alterations.  I feel your pain..
My Focus pads are stuck in customs in Mississauga... what could they possibly want with those...

@Dale..  Unfortunately I have worked in shop environments for many years.  I sometimes wear two level of ear protection, custom molded ones and over ear, but still I know there's some high freq, loss.  We get our ears tested every year and there is some decline.  I even wear my molded plugs while driving the car now, if the windows are going to be open, and sometimes just for the peace and quiet (especially if the kids are with me.. ha)
The audiologist suggested the plugs when driving and the left ear near the window will wear down your hearing over time...

That said, my audio buddy (I used to set up his turn tables and help him audition gear) use to tell me I had the ears of a German Shepherd.
I just know that I've lost a little of the high freq. because of the yearly testing.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,742 of 21,171

Got my HE-560 today and they sound good out of the box. The sound sig is IMO very similar to the HE-500, but with superior SQ. The quality and cosmetic seems to be lacking, thought. One cable connection is much more angled than the other and the headband lock don’t seems to be very secure.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,743 of 21,171

Got my HE-560 today and they sound good out of the box. The sound sig is IMO very similar to the HE-500, but with superior SQ. The quality and cosmetic seems to be lacking, thought. One cable connection is much more angled than the other and the headband lock don’t seems to be very secure.

The cable connections are not differently angled, both are radial from the center of the drivers, you just have to rotate the cups to line them up.

But I do concur that the headband click "locks" don't have enough friction in the production model; the preorder version had much tighter friction.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,744 of 21,171
  The cable connections are not differently angled, both are radial from the center of the drivers, you just have to rotate the cups to line them up.

But I do concur that the headband click "locks" don't have enough friction in the production model; the preorder version had much tighter friction.

Okay I must have missed that info, Thanx Jerg!

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #5,745 of 21,171

My left one has very tight friction while my right one is kinda loose. Well, variety is the spice of life is the only excuse I can think of xP other than broad QC standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back