= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,486 of 21,171
  Nah, HFM has SPC cables before, those are the stiff ones packaged with HE500. These are supposedly quite different.

In the Hifiman press release, these cables are "Newly-designed cable of Crystalline metal featuring Oxygen-free copper and Oxygen-free silver" whatever that means.

In the DIY cable thread someone asked about a plusSounds wire:

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/wires.html

It's the next to last on that page and ain't cheap.  Their version is cryo-treated, so maybe it's different from HFM's, but the plusSounds is clearly differentiated from the SPC they offer.  Too rich for my blood, but it is a curious construction.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,487 of 21,171

I don't normally speculate on what Hifiman calls silver/copper hybrid, but cost would dictate it isn't pure silver, more likely silver plated copper, lower cost!

Nah, HFM has SPC cables before, those are the stiff ones packaged with HE500. These are supposedly quite different.

In the Hifiman press release, these cables are "Newly-designed cable of Crystalline metal featuring Oxygen-free copper and Oxygen-free silver" whatever that means.

OFC, oxygen free copper, oxygen free silver, lower purity copper and silver, lower cost than OCC (OCC, continuous cast as pure copper or silver as you can get)!

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,488 of 21,171
OFC is perfectly fine as long as the cable is flexible.
The difference in purity is like 0.something%

I just want them to release it already!

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,491 of 21,171
  HE560 and HD598, any comparison? I have the HD598 and the HE400. If the HE560 is an amalgamation of those two headphones, I can sell those to help pay for it. Any advice would be well appreciated.

It's more like an amalgamation between HD600 and HE____ planar, not as forward as HD598, nor as warm as HD650.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,493 of 21,171
I thought that the cable remained unchanged from the previous generation??

The connectors remain the same. Cable itself however is new.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,495 of 21,171
Okay, then I'd like to see a picture...up close. 

The design will be finalized with the retail version.
The version that reviewers got with the review sample is more of a prototype in terms of designed, not finalized.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,497 of 21,171
You're welcome :wink:
So will I. In fact, I've been expecting them to be with me by now :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,498 of 21,171
I tried to compare between the sound of the new silver/copper hybrid cable, and the pure copper cable I have before, but couldn't discern any marked difference. I guess my ears aren't acute enough to judge cables.

Don't sell Ur self short.
Everyone can hear the difference I herd.
In your case I would assume the materials were optimal and you herd true reproduction wich naturally would be equal.

In the DIY cable thread someone asked about a plusSounds wire:

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/wires.html

It's the next to last on that page and ain't cheap.  Their version is cryo-treated, so maybe it's different from HFM's, but the plusSounds is clearly differentiated from the SPC they offer.  Too rich for my blood, but it is a curious construction.

Woohoo good stuff here, thanks for link!

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,499 of 21,171
  I tried to compare between the sound of the new silver/copper hybrid cable, and the pure copper cable I have before, but couldn't discern any marked difference. I guess my ears aren't acute enough to judge cables.

+1.  Thx for being honest.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,500 of 21,171
Don't sell Ur self short.
Everyone can hear the difference I herd.
In your case I would assume the materials were optimal and you herd true reproduction wich naturally would be equal.
Woohoo good stuff here, thanks for link!

He wasn't selling himself short.  He was being honest and not let imagination influence his hearing.  You can hear it doesn't mean everyone can.
I happen to fall into the camp who doesn't believe in cable magic for HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back