= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #796 of 21,171
  You still don't get it... your post came off as obnoxious and assumptive of Dr. Fang's intent; and no one had ever mentioned being unsure of these headphones for the sub-bass aspect alone, that's just your own misinterpretation.

"I'd rather have a new product as it is and go improve on that based on a general opinion (preferably logical ones as yours) and then have it fixed as opposed to just listening to just one, no offense. I'm just extremely hesitant about this mod not having ANY acoustical effects on reproduction instead of the boost in sub bass (off course without any added distortion in any HD order figures)."

Dr. Fang has ears of his own. He can determine for himself if Jerg's concern and fix are legitimate, and there is no harm to acting accordingly. It only serves all of us that sub-bass does get improved. And of course if this mod affects other aspects of sound, other than sub-bass, it will be noted by the testers and acted upon accordingly. Did you really think they would really overlook such a thing?

I assume Dr. Fang has ears of his own and even good measuring equipment. But he's also a businessman. "Deep bass" is such a sexy marketing term, conducted by the music and trend paradigms of today, which makes it easy to prioritize it over everything else. Though with products at this caliber, the difference in the talked mod would need to be marginal to satisfy a majority. 

Apologies to Jerg. In no way of course are you responsible for the acts or comments of others. I'm not naming you the leader of this "wagon" I called out. Also, I don't dare insult that you're a noob at picking out these traits. But my point remains. You can't also be the grand daddy dogma (obviously not your own call) on this "issue": more listeners and objective measurements would need to be taken to quantify this. You having produced quantified results with HE500's a la Jerg pads, I have no reason to doubt your observations or debunk them. You clearly know what's up and what you're doing. I'm just saying, as good as your evaluations are, are not enough in my opinion to alter the production when it's not really out yet. Fang must have a good idea what he's wanted in this headphone and he's made to look bad by overstating something that is a bit contradictory and disproportionate (the sub bass vs. HE400, for instance, that measures pretty much dead flat to 30Hz).
Fang is a genius and I really don't doubt him. My first paragraph is a bit satiric. I owned his very first headphone, the wooden HE5, and it was in many ways just marvelous and had one of my favorite tonalities (though I don't really prioritize tonality, to a certain extent) of the Hifiman line. 

I really do hope this mod is nothing but an improvement. I think the final test would be to listen to music that has no content below 50 Hz on both iterations and if you find them exactly the same, there are no negative effects on any other part of the musical spectrum. Have you tried this Jerg?

I'm sorry, I'll try to be more constructive from now on. Really would like to hear this in the future, unmodded or not. 
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #797 of 21,171
Only suggested it because it has been well established and documented what the effects of the mod are, and the only talk coming from the mod seems to be negative at thise point. Just suggesting (and inquiring about) other aspects of the sound and the headphone itself. Not trying to add to the contention though, just trying to help move the thread along...

But it hasn't. Only Jerg has the word. No measurements, other substantive reviews, nada. Only "holistic" reviews that seem to echo each other. Not that I don't trust Jerg, or any of the other listeners, it's just too soon to make such claims and alter production!

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #798 of 21,171
Eventually there will be qualified reviews comparing the Oppo to the HE560 since they are basically in the same price range. I will wait for a few of those before jumping to any conclusion. Then I will go to a dealer and compare them for myself. Weight aside, I was very taken with the sound of the HE500 so the Oppo being new to headphone production would have to seriously convince me not to put my money on the HE560 with the Hifiman proven track record. I will only include one ortho/planar in my stable so I will take my time making this decision. Like more than a few others I've been waiting for a comfortable version of the Hifiman headphones.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #799 of 21,171
  Eventually there will be qualified reviews comparing the Oppo to the HE560 since they are basically in the same price range. I will wait for a few of those before jumping to any conclusion. Then I will go to a dealer and compare them for myself. Weight aside, I was very taken with the sound of the HE500 so the Oppo being new to headphone production would have to seriously convince me not to put my money on the HE560 with the Hifiman proven track record. I will only include one ortho/planar in my stable so I will take my time making this decision. Like more than a few others I've been waiting for a comfortable version of the Hifiman headphones.

I have the HE560 right now and am working the review for Part Time Audiophile and also have the Oppo coming it was shipped today so it will be here  next week for comparison. I will do a comparison to the hE560 when the oppo gets here and try to include it in my review which will be sent out next week fro publishing

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #800 of 21,171

But it hasn't. Only Jerg has the word. No measurements, other substantive reviews, nada. Only "holistic" reviews that seem to echo each other. Not that I don't trust Jerg, or any of the other listeners, it's just too soon to make such claims and alter production!

Just so you know, they (the company) do have internal measurement setups and sinewave machines as well as dedicated R&D engineers; I made a suggestion pointing to a potential alteration for sonic improvement, and they don't just go and start altering the whole production immediately, it goes through internal tests and if things look promising (to Hifiman's engineers!), prototyping.

You made it sound like I just hollered at Fang "yo try this" and he made a speed-dial to his manufacturing facilities to halt all their work and add another step in. Things don't work that way.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #801 of 21,171
Ok, guys everyone can lay off on asking jerg the same questions over and over gain. What Jerg needs is some rest, and then you can hammer him with questions at a later time. You guys are asking him so much questions, he still hasn't even fully burned in the HE-560's.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #803 of 21,171

" are you shut down enough yet? Or do I need to embarass you further? 
redface.gif
"
This tone doesn't really seem necessary  we are talking about a hobby here, headphones and music

Except people here don't really talk about music... Good point otherwise :)

Thanks, maybe it should include a little music although that could stir up other controversy

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #804 of 21,171
 I have the HE560 right now and am working the review for Part Time Audiophile and also have the Oppo coming it was shipped today so it will be here  next week for comparison. I will do a comparison to the hE560 when the oppo gets here and try to include it in my review which will be sent out next week fro publishing

This gonna be good :popcorn:

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #805 of 21,171

Cant wait to hear I mean  read your review

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #808 of 21,171

OH WERD?

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #809 of 21,171
The separation is starting to get really good now. Nice detail and air, this all takes a while to start forming, at least from what I am experiencing.  A nice open quality sound. Great fun. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #810 of 21,171
  The separation is starting to get really good now. Nice detail and air, this all takes a while to start forming, at least from what I am experiencing.  A nice open quality sound. Great fun. 

Should I buy one then if I already have HE500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back