= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #241 of 21,171
Tried it just now; tonally it actually sounds very similar to how it sounded with my angled Jergpads, though a bit more open-sounding and less tactile/engaging.
Maybe it's too early...are the new pads an upgrade from Jergpads- a side grade? An essential purchase for 500 owners who already have Jergpads? Thanks for any insights.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #243 of 21,171
Maybe it's too early...are the new pads an upgrade from Jergpads- a side grade? An essential purchase for 500 owners who already have Jergpads? Thanks for any insights.

I think in terms of comfort level, they are an upgrade to anything else available (except maybe LCD3 pads, but those have their own pros/cons).

Sonically I think the two are on par, with these new pads having an advantage in soundstage/imaging, and properly-made Jergpads having better immediacy/black background. It comes down to which traits the user values more I suppose. Or maybe just get both and have the freedom to swap between them.

Jerg did you design these pads for Fang. I like them. I think they are so much better than the pads on the hE6.  The sound is enticing and very involving. 

Not...directly. Let's just say these new pads are in part inspired by my earpad mod for HE500.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #244 of 21,171
I think in terms of comfort level, they are an upgrade to anything else available (except maybe LCD3 pads, but those have their own pros/cons).

Sonically I think the two are on par, with these new pads having an advantage in soundstage/imaging, and properly-made Jergpads having better immediacy/black background. It comes down to which traits the user values more I suppose. Or maybe just get both and have the freedom to swap between them.
Definitely sounds like it's worth picking up a pair of the new pads, just to try them. Thanks

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #245 of 21,171

Not...directly. Let's just say these new pads are in part inspired by my earpad mod for HE500.

How do the two compare in terms of overall speed?

Looking at the drivers of the He-560, it's highly probable that it uses the same driver the He-500's, and the only difference are the pads. Angled pads tend to have a more intimate, open sound.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #246 of 21,171
  How do the two compare in terms of overall speed?

The earpads? Or HE560 vs HE500?

Also what do you mean by speed? Different people use it to mean different things.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #248 of 21,171
  The earpads? Or HE560 vs HE500?

Also what do you mean by speed? Different people use it to mean different things.

Their ability to handle complex music, treble resolution, that kind of stuff.

If one of them sounds faster, then it'll be pretty evident that Hifiman used a tighter diaphragm.

The overall sound, the He-500's lack good transients, which causes them to fall behind headphones like the He-6 ( tighter diaphragm, shorter decay, good imaging, etc.)

Actually, ignore my comment on them having the same driver; the magnets look the same, but that's about it

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #249 of 21,171

I still don't know if you are asking about the earpads or the headphones lol.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #251 of 21,171
  Hm...I might try my jergpads on the HE560 tomorrow lol, and swap the new velourtop pleather pads onto HE500s.

Now that's just crazy talk!  And of course you should get crazy with the comparisons.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #254 of 21,171

If one of them sounds faster, then it'll be pretty evident that Hifiman used a tighter diaphragm.

The overall sound, the He-500's lack good transients, which causes them to fall behind headphones like the He-6 ( tighter diaphragm, shorter decay, good imaging, etc.)

Actually, ignore my comment on them having the same driver; the magnets look the same, but that's about it

I never found HE500s to have trouble with complex music though. The transients trait always evades my judgement because I never know if it's just due to the tonal balance (more treble / treble extension?) or maybe resonance (HE500 has a resonant lower end) or something about tighter diaphragms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back