= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,411 of 21,169

For me, "bassy" hp's aren't the best for EDM. There is nothing but bass and little else. But a hp that has linear bass that steps up with good bass when it's called for, is better with bass heavy music. YMMV

Totally agree, I listen to a fair amount (actually lately most of my listening) of electronic music with prominent bass and I think the 560 are absolutely fantastic headphones for this genre, certainly my favourite to date with the killer combination of excellent tonality with just the right amount of weight and impact. As you said, more emphasis on bass with bass centric music can= mud.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #7,412 of 21,169
For me, "bassy" hp's aren't the best for EDM. There is nothing but bass and little else. But a hp that has linear bass that steps up with good bass when it's called for, is better with bass heavy music. YMMV

Matt, do you consider the 400i to be that?
How does it stack w/ PM2?
Thanks

The 560 really is only a problem (sometimes) with pop and rock. Unfortunately that's a significant portion of my library.
Of course, if the 560 proves superior everywhere else then I'll keep it.
I value all sonic attributes equally and I'll be the first to admit that the 560 is the most impressive headphone I've heard yet, with just a few nitpicks.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #7,413 of 21,169

Couldent agree more!
Punch/impact is also importent for EDM, else its just rather dull... 

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #7,415 of 21,169
Aug 22, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #7,417 of 21,169

Hmm, I had the T1 and DT880 at one time and got rid of them because of my perception of their lack of bass. I was hoping the HE560 would have enough bass to satisfy my inner basshead. The bass from my HE500 I think is about the minimum amount I could live with.

Maybe HE-560 and T1 for example are phones whose tonal balance you can alter to the direction you wish, at least to some degree, with phones like HE-500 or HD-650 that might be a little more challenging, don't know...

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #7,418 of 21,169
Thanks

The 560 really is only a problem (sometimes) with pop and rock. Unfortunately that's a significant portion of my library.
I value all sonic attributes equally and I'll be the first to admit that the 560 is the most impressive headphone I've heard yet, with just a few nitpicks.

Actually I find that the 400i does this really well. Better than the pm-2. The problem with the pm-2 is the tuning that Oppo did with the new pads. Too much treble, although the bass is good but not that linear. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #7,419 of 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu link

I know, I know. I'm still gonna give them a listen and a fair chance. Just not going to jump on them without properly testing the alternatives within the same price range also. Around here its price is directly comparable to HD800 and T1 for example, neither of which I own for now.

Now that is fair, many folks who's ears I trust kept their HD800's, some kept their 560's, but several chose to keep their 800's and sell/return their 560's.

I do like my HE-560 especially after regrilling mod with Focus A pads but after trying HD800 with Vanquish cable and moded SEX amp they are not for sale while I still interested to try T1 and waiting for Draug 2 cable

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #7,420 of 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolinho link

Now I 'm sure they won' t be my next purchase as I also own T1 & HD 700 and I'm looking for something different. I really liked my previous he500 but they were a nightmare to wear for a long time. So thank you

I would be quite surprised if the 560 sounded like the HD700, which by all accounts has a fairly odd signature at least where the treble is concerned. Anyway, if you get the chance to audition the 560 you really should. I am not sure how accurate acoustic memory is so I would like to know from somebody with both the HD700 and 560 if the sound is really that similar. I am going to take my 560 to my local audio shop where they have a floor model HD700/800 to try.

+1

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #7,421 of 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG link

Thanks

Sorry but I can't agree, i have a lot rock, hard rock and different kind of metal in my library and I like them with HE-560 and I like Daft Punk Random Access Memory album as, i actually use it to test bass with different headphones I try

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #7,422 of 21,169
The closest similarity to the 560 to me is a Stax. Loads of texture and a sort of close up but not closed-in sound (depending on the Stax model being compared).
The bass is there and not missing in action but it's not bass-centric.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #7,423 of 21,169
I never said it sucks with any genre...
My music is very specific. I need a few key of my go-to songs to sound the part.
They do sound magnificent w/ 560... Hell, I am not complaining but I just really wanna see how the 400i compares.
Besides, it's not like the 560 is Hifiman's last can... I am also eyeing their future interesting offerings :D

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #7,425 of 21,169
if you want bass and care little for anything else then get one of the sony XB series headphones 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back