= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #19,441 of 21,168
Yes unfortunately I feel your pain having a broke set and no warrantee, but you can’t fault them for not being an educated buyer. Kind of an expensive lesson, but eBay is cheap because 90% of the time they’re selling fallen off the truck no warrantee products so to speak.

Audeze has had as many or more issues then hifiman, the entire fazer line of lcd series is known for driver failures.
it's more about the land of confusion.... the ebayer sent me the wrong receipt, as he bought them from Adorama, and support from hifiman is terribly unclear, just very short emails, because now it seems that they are with warranty.. plus i'm italian and my english sucks. I hope at least that's all of this is entertaining for you guys
Yes off course they sound fantastic, but jesus their support is so clumsy .

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #19,442 of 21,168
Double check the listing, there’s quite a few vendors still making cables for the old style as many people still have them. Iv run into more then a few eBay listings that still sell smc hifiman cables, some only offering smc and not the new 2.5.

If interested, Venus is willing to swap out cables for me. Turns out he's a stand up guy and there was some miscommunication between us. I don't want to dog him as a businessman if he makes good. I'll continue to do biz with him anytime. For me, this goes a long way.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #19,444 of 21,168
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your email.

I heard back from Hifiman and it is possible to use Sundara headband system on the HE-560. Here is a video of how to install them:

They are sending me a Sundara headband as a free replacement for my broken yokes, but they said you can purchase a Sundara headband for $100 + $10 shipping.

The replacement 560 headbands don't have the "HE560" on the yokes, so they will never be all original parts after the headband replacement. So as far as I am concerned, using the Sundara headband is the best option.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #19,445 of 21,168
I also got a replacement pair of Sundara yolks for my damaged HE560 yolks. My first experience they wanted me to pay as I thought there might have been a possibility a slight drop it had could've been the problem. Amazon was good to me and allowed me to return it no problems. I had even explained that it was possible it was my problem, but still honored it. I just happened to take advantage of the sale on these as I did quite like them, and I bought a headphone case to keep them in at all times. I was not happy when I discovered the problem again, and I know this pair never had any possible error on my part as they were boxed away when I took them off.

I will say the repair process I went through was a bit different than what I had to do as seen in the video above. I didn't have anything like what is shown in the middle like is seen at the 10 second mark. I had the washers, 4 screws, and something close to the pieces seen to the left in the 10 second mark, but with holes to accept screws to be threaded into it. I figured I could figure it out if they didn't think to give any instructions.

I took the drivers out of the ear cup, and with careful balancing of a small screwdriver from an IFixIt kit for the first earcup I was able to use the screw facing outside the earcups with a washer over it, and then a washer between the headband yolks and earcups, and then what I would call the nut to screw it down. I found as I was doing it once the screws were initially in place and you placed the drivers back in there was no problem securing the headphones from the outside and could just finger tighten it using the nut. One of the drivers I did have a time getting back in on one side as the screw was poked out just a tiny bit, but oddly enough when looking at the drivers there was just the slightest of a notch in its circular body almost as if it was designed originally to be done that way. This process looks much better than I went through, so I'm not sure about that. Regardless, Hifiman did send a new headband, and I was able to get it working with the parts that I had sent to me.

I would strongly caution anyone buying the HE-560 to know about the reports of the yolks breaking. To me its not a matter of if they break to me, but when they'll break. Thankfully both pairs I have had happened within a month of time, and I was taken care of this time with a new headband. Not to mention two pairs broke in similar ways. The only way I could see they were breaking is from the pressure on stretching the ear cups out slightly when putting them on and taking them off when holding onto the ear cups. When you replace them with the Sundara headband my concern goes away. If they had the new headband at 349 my recommendation would be absolutely, but as it is now, I would still recommend with the warning this might happen, and be ready to contact HiFiMan in case, but know they did resolve the issue.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #19,447 of 21,168
Is there much difference between, the earlier Wooden box version and later leather clad boxed version, in terms of sound and build quality??
I've haven't seem much talk about sound quality between the older SMC and newer 2.5mm versions but there is a noticeable difference in build quality with the latest batch from around Dec-Jan time frame with yoke breakage and some driver failure.
I've only heard 5 different HE560, 4 of the older SMC version and 1 of the 2.5mm and if anything the older ones are just a touch warmer but this is based on audio memory which is not great so don't put to much weight on this.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #19,448 of 21,168
It seems that Hifiman will send to me a complete headband to replace the one with broken yokes, i wonder which one I will get

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #19,449 of 21,168
I've haven't seem much talk about sound quality between the older SMC and newer 2.5mm versions but there is a noticeable difference in build quality with the latest batch from around Dec-Jan time frame with yoke breakage and some driver failure.
I've only heard 5 different HE560, 4 of the older SMC version and 1 of the 2.5mm and if anything the older ones are just a touch warmer but this is based on audio memory which is not great so don't put to much weight on this.
Are the faliures a rarity though. i.e. not very common?

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #19,450 of 21,168
I wish i knew i hear sooo many contradictory reports from multiple planars, maybe driver failures aren't specific to any one brand but planars in general? I was just having this conversation about the LCD line and how they are prone to failure and it seems the hifiman line is no different. However i hear stories of people having there planars for years and no failure, so i don't know what to think anymore.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #19,451 of 21,168
I wish i knew i hear sooo many contradictory reports from multiple planars, maybe driver failures aren't specific to any one brand but planars in general? I was just having this conversation about the LCD line and how they are prone to failure and it seems the hifiman line is no different. However i hear stories of people having there planars for years and no failure, so i don't know what to think anymore.
Driver failure with the HE560 is a more recent thing from what I've been reading and its not a very frequent / common problem. With the LCD series the driver failures where more limited to the earlier versions (prior to Fazors) but there are still some instances of driver failures with the Fazor versions. The one good thing about the Audeze is getting drivers replaced seems to be a way of getting the newest version of the drivers which is good or bad depending on which sound signature you like.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #19,453 of 21,168
i'm very interested with these HP. BUT is there any possibility that the HE-560 is coming to its end of life, and will be replaced soon?? e.g. the Sundara.
Well Sundara are new, better driver, better build but it seem that they don't sound better then He-400i so if you like the He-560 despite all the possible issues, just buy them. I'm having issues to replace the broken yokes BUT if we talk about sound.. i can only say WOW

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #19,455 of 21,168
Well drivers are quite heavy with wood and stuff, the headband is made of metal with a strong clamp, yokes are made of plastic and last models with cheap one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back