= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 29, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #19,291 of 21,171
Are people still having issues with the yokes with new purchases? If so, is there a fairly unanimous “go to this shop there’s are good” place to buy them atm? Was considering going to Newegg and just paying 50$ extra for their 3 year warrantee, but won’t waste my $ on it if things seem to be sorted.
Got mine directly from the online HifiMan store six months ago and so far no problems even after heavy use.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #19,292 of 21,171
Got mine directly from the online HifiMan store six months ago and so far no problems even after heavy use.
Mine are from September and haven't skipped a beat. Only issue is the right side grill slides around a bit.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #19,293 of 21,171
I just wanted to report that @pauldgroot 's 3D printed headband yoke assembly came in the mail today and I am happily using them on my HE560. They look very well made, glossier than the stock ones. They seem very durable. I tried putting some pressure on them with my hands and they seemed very rigid and flexible (I know those contradict a bit, but they are both - they seem to have potentially a better elastic modulus than the broken ones did from my test of the stock vs abs printed ones from my caveman pressure test). I'm pretty happy with them so far. They also smell very good! I don't know what Paul did with them, but they smell nice! haha!

I ran a set of calipers through two Hifiman yoke batches. The old broken one was 4.8mm as was the new "good" batch replacement I just received. Paul's 3D printed set was a tad thicker at 5.5mm at the location where my set snapped.

Anyway, my day job is to go out and audit and approve manufacture's of thermoplastic/thermoset composites suppliers for my company and I'll approve this one for use. :)

Thanks again for the set. I feel more confident handling these than I did with the previous two batches I had.

ebrRt20.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #19,294 of 21,171
I just wanted to report that @pauldgroot 's 3D printed headband yoke assembly came in the mail today and I am happily using them on my HE560. They look very well made, glossier than the stock ones. They seem very durable. I tried putting some pressure on them with my hands and they seemed very rigid and flexible (I know those contradict a bit, but they are both - they seem to have potentially a better elastic modulus than the broken ones did from my test of the stock vs abs printed ones from my caveman pressure test). I'm pretty happy with them so far. They also smell very good! I don't know what Paul did with them, but they smell nice! haha!

I ran a set of calipers through two Hifiman yoke batches. The old broken one was 4.8mm as was the new "good" batch replacement I just received. Paul's 3D printed set was a tad thicker at 5.5mm at the location where my set snapped.

Anyway, my day job is to go out and audit and approve manufacture's of thermoplastic/thermoset composites suppliers for my company and I'll approve this one for use. :)

Thanks again for the set. I feel more confident handling these than I did with the previous two batches I had.

ebrRt20.jpg

Wow, that looks impressively factory

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #19,296 of 21,171
@pauldgroot , Realistically, how much do you think HifiMan saved by skimping out on the yoke?

There's no proof they did... I know we all assume that, but it could easily be that the manufacturer was the one who cut corners to make profit, not HiFiman... or of course it could be a legitimate mistake.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #19,297 of 21,171
Yes, I agree. However putting quite a lot of stress on a part that doesn't require it doesn't make much sense IMO.

@antdroid Thanks a lot for letting me destroy your (broken) yokes and making me able to reproduce them. A lot of people are showing interest in these on Reddit and it feels good to be able to help people out. The smell is probably from the acetone I've used, I've used nail polish remover with acetone but also a nice perfume apparently!

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #19,298 of 21,171
Which pads are the new production units coming with now? Is it still considered a general upgrade to get the focus A pass for them? Or are they coming with them now? Just ordered a set from hifiman.

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #19,300 of 21,171
The default pads are the basic angled hybrid pads. I switched to the dekoni elite hybrid (for Fostex TH-900) and prefer it over the stock one.

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #19,304 of 21,171
With the availability of 3D printed replacement yokes, I’ve been very tempted to buy a pair from Adorama, but you don’t know if the used ones were returned for yoke problems or driver issues.

I would assume they can’t sell a used item that’s defective, unless they clearly state what’s wrong with it.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #19,305 of 21,171

ebrRt20.jpg
Just a question what speakers are you using in that pic? They look like Kantos to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back