= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 28, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #19,081 of 21,171
Add me to the list who bought the 560, and has a broken yoke. Purchased from Adorama on 1/19/18. If the number is on the back of the box, mines 0336. Seems low to me.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #19,082 of 21,171
I'm subscribed to a more depressing/angering thread. At least people here are getting some amount of service, whether it's getting a refund or another headband (even if the replacement also breaks). The other thread I'm in just has people that get the same canned email reply and implies the company has taken everyone's money and is now unable to produced the promised product.

But it really still sucks for a lot of the people here. I thought the HE560 sounded very good even though I ended up sticking with my HD600/TH-X00 combo instead. Had mine for several months with no signs of bad material, though I definitely thought that something of that price range should have metal yokes. Driver failure isn't great either, but at least from the reports here, it's less prevalent than broken yokes.
I have "survivors guilt", because I bought mine before this nonsense started. I have mine packed away for moving now. I'm planning on selling a few of my headphones shortly, and am debating if I want to keep them or sell them to someone who might appreciate them more. I like them, but they're not up there with my favorites. I need to set my iFi Black on turbo to really power them up properly. Think I prefer cans that aren't quite this power hungry.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #19,084 of 21,171
I have "survivors guilt", because I bought mine before this nonsense started. I have mine packed away for moving now. I'm planning on selling a few of my headphones shortly, and am debating if I want to keep them or sell them to someone who might appreciate them more. I like them, but they're not up there with my favorites. I need to set my iFi Black on turbo to really power them up properly. Think I prefer cans that aren't quite this power hungry.
That's how I listen to my HE560's on my iDSD BL as well. Turbo mode is the only way I can achieve the sound I like from them. I picked up the OPPO PM1's a couple of weeks ago and these two headphones sound almost identical. The difference being the HE560's has more treble presence and they sound a little more airy and open because of it. But when I turn on the 3D+ feature I can achieve that same level of openness without the increase treble that the HE560's have with the PM1's. The PM1's are also way easier to drive. So I might be looking to move my HE560's soon. As a side note, I've never encountered any headband issues with my HE560's either

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #19,086 of 21,171
i bought my he 560 2 months ago, and im gonna be soon running on my 3rd headband soon, so my chances are pretty bad. seems to break once in a month in average. i think when the next headband will break, ill consider a more permanent solution, because it seems like a train wreck waiting to happen every godamn time with these freak' plastics yolks. and it's not like they weren't kept under perfect condition, because they were kept. does anyone here have experience with 3d printing, or managed to make plastics yolks out of better materials?? i wish i had a 3d printer...
@pauldgroot posted back a couple pages ago; they 3D printed some new yokes that allowed them to attach some HD600 drivers to their spare (after the yoke broke) HE560 headband. They expressed a willingness to help do the same for others for a fee less than it costs to buy a new headband from Hifiman if there was interest. Perhaps you you could contact them if you're interested.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #19,087 of 21,171
@pauldgroot posted back a couple pages ago; they 3D printed some new yokes that allowed them to attach some HD600 drivers to their spare (after the yoke broke) HE560 headband. They expressed a willingness to help do the same for others for a fee less than it costs to buy a new headband from Hifiman if there was interest. Perhaps you you could contact them if you're interested.
well, ill be sure to contact him when the plastic yolk breaks the third time. props for him making it cheaper then hifiman, just don't get too greedy and make it more costly :D BTW, at this point i think any plastic yolk would be better then this colossal train wreck disaster.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #19,088 of 21,171
Plus one on broken yokes...

Bought my HE 560 in November 2017. First pair lasted less than 2 months. Paid $50 to Hifiman for another headband... One month in and it already has cracks on both left and right yokes. I bought mine from Amazon UK. They were heavily discounted, bought them new for £383... Now I know why.

Sent another email to Hifiman's customer support, asking them from a new headband (this time free), assuming they managed to address the matter. Waiting for an answer.

A shame since I love the sound on these. I would even consider buying a headband from another headphone if I knew it fit (for example, the Sundara's).

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #19,089 of 21,171
I see Adorama is selling HE-560s with broken yokes on eBay for $250. That's a lot of nerve, and an indication that HiFiMan isn't standing behind their shoddy workmanship with their authorized dealers but instead is leaving them holding the bag.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #19,090 of 21,171
Anyone tried a different headband for the HE 560, e.g. Sundara's?

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #19,092 of 21,171
I bet they tried a new manufacturer or something, and it didn't work out, so they dumped them all cheap on Adorama, not realizing how bad it really was. The thing that pisses me off about all this, is that some people paid $900USD for these, have had no issues, and love them, but their resale has now gone into the toilet. I'm not sure I would ever buy another pair of headphones from Hifiman after this.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #19,094 of 21,171
@Madman242, but the case might be more widespread then a single store, and more of a bigger picture and related to the heaphones' batch in conjunction with its period of production, like i for example that bought from hifiman official through ebay 2 month ago (a known time for trouble with these pair of cans), and it still broke.

btw, it's hifiman's job to care i think for the adorama production line, adorama aren't responsible. of course it's given only when adorama haven't harmed the production themselves somehow.

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #19,095 of 21,171
I bet they tried a new manufacturer or something, and it didn't work out, so they dumped them all cheap on Adorama, not realizing how bad it really was. The thing that pisses me off about all this, is that some people paid $900USD for these, have had no issues, and love them, but their resale has now gone into the toilet. I'm not sure I would ever buy another pair of headphones from Hifiman after this.
I suspect Adorama knew what they were getting and they tried to sell it and make a huge profit, as I bet they did/do with other items that are B stock or refurbished and sell them as NEW. I always wanted to have these. I am on my 2nd week on my 2nd pair using it and stretching it every now and then and so far no cracks or signs that it will, but I am still crossing my fingers.:pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back