= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #16,443 of 21,171
@Fearless1
, thanks for the reply, they look a little like Focus pads without the angle based on the picture.  Are they softer than the Focus pads?

Much softer, I loathe the material on the focus pads, they do not mesh well with my skin.

They are not angled, but seem to improve the soundstage. The only drawback is you have to pre-stretch the surround pleather on them to get a fit. It just takes a bit of patience. They actually tame the treble peak a bit as well. I use a doggie treat on the inside of the pad, I am a tad treble sensitive.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #16,444 of 21,171
Much softer, I loathe the material on the focus pads, they do not mesh well with my skin.

They are not angled, but seem to improve the soundstage. The only drawback is you have to pre-stretch the surround pleather on them to get a fit. It just takes a bit of patience. They actually tame the treble peak a bit as well. I use a doggie treat on the inside of the pad, I am a tad treble sensitive.

I guess I have tough skin as the focus pads are quite comfortable to me, but my GF agrees with you that the focus pad is not as comfortable as a few others like the pads from HD-700, DT-990/T1 and the Shure.  The most comfortable alternate pad I tried are from my SRH-1840, really soft and comfortable but they altered the sound a little more than I liked.  There was another who said that the SRH-1540 pads are even more comfortable but I haven't gotten around to trying them.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #16,445 of 21,171
I guess I have tough skin as the focus pads are quite comfortable to me, but my GF agrees with you that the focus pad is not as comfortable as a few others like the pads from HD-700, DT-990/T1 and the Shure.  The most comfortable alternate pad I tried are from my SRH-1840, really soft and comfortable but they altered the sound a little more than I liked.  There was another who said that the SRH-1540 pads are even more comfortable but I haven't gotten around to trying them.
Yeah the Alcantara pads are great, but they alter the sound a bit to my disliking on the 560. I have tried J-money's , Alphas, ZMF lambs skin, both Focus pads, Vegans and Beyer gels on them so far, the hybrids seem to be the best fit so far for me.

Pad-fi up in here, lol.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #16,446 of 21,171
Yeah the Alcantara pads are great, but they alter the sound a bit to my disliking on the 560. I have tried J-money's , Alphas, ZMF lambs skin, both Focus pads, Vegans and Beyer gels on them so far, the hybrids seem to be the best fit so far for me.

Pad-fi up in here, lol.

Thanks for saving me money, will pass on the SRH-1540 pads.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #16,447 of 21,171
They actually tame the treble peak a bit as well. I use a doggie treat on the inside of the pad, I am a tad treble sensitive.

Where can I get a doggie treat? I could use a slight attenuation up top.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #16,449 of 21,171
https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/doggie-treats-tweaking-kit/
Awesome! How many did you use, and how did you install them?

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #16,451 of 21,171
They are just thick dust covers that block some higher frequency, the kit also comes with some small squares with adhesive that change the sound a bit. It is a simple concept but a nice little change of sound without using a sound degrading equalizer.

]

Did you install them in the same way on the 560 ? How many dots do you put ?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #16,453 of 21,171

Anyone else of you having trouble with or has a solution to this sort of 'dusty pads'? 
I'm thinking I could use a vacuum cleaner, but then I'm worried I might mess up the driver(is that the correct word for planars sound producing thing? :p) because of too strong a force.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #16,454 of 21,171
I didn't use the dots on the 560, I used the pads. It's not a miracle worker, but it does smooth out the treble a bit.

How many treats did you put? The site said 1 for 1db reduction, and 2 for 3db reduction.

I'm also debating between putting the treats on top of the dust cover, tucked under the earpad, or taking the pad off and seating them between the dust cover and the ring itself. I'll likely do the former until I figure out exactly what I want, and use the latter for a 'permanent' solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back