HifiMAN HE-500 sound but more impact?
Jun 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #46 of 68
I asked about Mr. Speakers way back in Post #11. Thanks for the recommendation. MonsterZero had a different take than yours.

Just to be clear I was speaking of the AFC. I have not heard the AFO.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #47 of 68
Jun 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #48 of 68
Thanks to the advice from those who have been participating, and threads and reviews here and elsewhere I now have a pair of Auteur on the way. Perhaps these will be what I've been looking for. It always amazes me how we are always willing to blow our budget for our hobbies.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #49 of 68
Hi everyone, I got recently used audio-gd nfb11 and hifiman 500. This bass from these cans is something else :) A massage for ears! It is already very good, but I am already thinking about how these cans could scale even better? Regarding the comfort it is pretty ok for 20 minutes then I begin to feel the weight. Btw, I use focus pads. I think, something could be added to the headband. Did somebody find an elegant solution to this? Thanks!

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #50 of 68
I took delivery of a used pair of Auteur today. My first impression after only one album is positive. So far, the Auteur seem to be an example of gear that gets out of the way of the music. What I heard was the recording. Sure, only one recording so far, but I am anxious to hear more.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #52 of 68
Since both pads are perforated leather, I can't tell which is currently installed, Auteur or Eikon. That said, I haven't switched pads yet. I only had time to unbox them and play one album's worth of music last night. I'm hoping for a bit more time this afternoon. What struck me most about listening to the Auteur last night is I almost immediately quit listening for things they were doing right and things they were doing wrong. I spent my time listening to Art Blakey, not trying to figure out what I would have to "listen around" to enjoy the Auteur.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #53 of 68
No, there is nothing wrong with my HE-500. There is a time, though, when you're familiar with something (like me and my HE-500), that you notice its faults to a greater degree than is fair. So, when I'm listening to classical and acoustic jazz, my HE-500 is just the ticket. At this time, though, when I listen to rock I want the drums to hit harder than they do through the HE-500. That an improvement, especially for $1000 or less, is going to be hard to find is the reason I started searching for ideas here rather than starting with retailers and my credit card.

What ever I decide to try, the HE-500 stay.

Let's assume Liu and I are exactly the same in our tastes: perhaps then the HE-6 would be the perfect solution. I may save some more money and try to find a pair in good condition to try. It is entirely possible that the HE-6 will be too bright for me (I am sensitive to hot treble, but not overly so). If the HE-6 turns out to be too bright, I'm sure there will be another Head-fi-er out there that wants them. With your two posts I see the big challenge for the HE-6 to win me over is the treble being too bright/ forward, especially since I plan to use them for rock recordings.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Any comments about Mr Speakers?

I didn't catch if you are running the 500's balanced or not. Focus and snap in the bass is increased, fuzzy overhung bass reduced. Not perfect mind you, just notably better. I've got a Ragnarok which runs every can I've tried so far. Small details like overtones are increased and treble hash is reduced, giving a more pure blacker background. Also, do you have the fazor mod? It's 100% required IMO. You can take the screen off the back, although personally I don't think it's an improvement.

To the fellow with the Apogee's - I loved them had Duettas for some time... love pretty much all panel speakers

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #54 of 68
BTW, getting the the HE-6 is proving to be difficult, a guy in the UK wants $1581 for a pair. Scarce and with high demand, and a real aura around them...

Anyone ever experience a HFM rebuild? Hate to buy a pair if I can find them, and have no factory support. Audeze seems to have a nice business updating LCD-2's to the current level.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #55 of 68
BTW, getting the the HE-6 is proving to be difficult, a guy in the UK wants $1581 for a pair. Scarce and with high demand, and a real aura around them...

Anyone ever experience a HFM rebuild? Hate to buy a pair if I can find them, and have no factory support. Audeze seems to have a nice business updating LCD-2's to the current level.

Not sure if you've checked but you might want to also consider the LFF Code-X and Code-6. The former is a modded HE-5, the latter is a modded HE-6. Both headphones measure extremely well, far better than the unmodded versions and more linear. I've listened to the stock HE-6 a few times (on an amp that is extremely similar to mine), and I'm getting a Code-6 tomorrow. Gonna be interesting!

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #56 of 68
I didn't catch if you are running the 500's balanced or not. Focus and snap in the bass is increased, fuzzy overhung bass reduced. Not perfect mind you, just notably better. I've got a Ragnarok which runs every can I've tried so far. Small details like overtones are increased and treble hash is reduced, giving a more pure blacker background. Also, do you have the fazor mod? It's 100% required IMO. You can take the screen off the back, although personally I don't think it's an improvement.

To the fellow with the Apogee's - I loved them had Duettas for some time... love pretty much all panel speakers

I am: Schiit Mjolnir I. No fazor mod, though. I'll look that up.

I owned Apogee Stages (with subs) for years. I hated to sell them, but I wanted to reclaim some floor space in our living room. I now have a pair of the smaller Avalons.

I'll look into the LFF.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #57 of 68
I've been listening to pairs of ZMF Atticus and Auteur for several weeks with my HE-500. I wrote a review of the Auteur, using my HE-500 as a reference. It's posted here on Head-fi. I'm still working on a review of the Atticus, again, using my HE-500 as a reference.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #58 of 68
You could also roll the pads. Also you might wanna try it on a different amp, I was using a schiit lyr and I also wanted more impact I thought the headphones were just lean but when I used my speaker amp it was a night and day difference, Try the emotiva Basx-100 try it in the direct drive mode, be careful though as they are a speaker amp and afaik if you push the volume beyond 10 it becomes ear bleeding loud. I found the focus A pads and the alpha pads give the HE-500 a good body with great slam.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #59 of 68

I agree the 500 has terrible distorted bass with poor amplification, but with good amplification it improves greatly, also focus pads/ brainwavz hybrid pads give better texture to the bass IMO.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #60 of 68
I agree the 500 has terrible distorted bass with poor amplification, but with good amplification it improves greatly, also focus pads/ brainwavz hybrid pads give better texture to the bass IMO.

I haven't tried the HE-500 with a weak or bad amp, but I can believe the 500's wouldn't like them.

Haven't tried the brainwavz hybrids, but, I very much like the Ether C Angled, the next best I've heard are the focus felt pads, but they are a long way down from the Ethers IMO.

Note: I was going around saying "fazor" but it's "fuzzor".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back