HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #9,151 of 20,374
The ESS 9018 is the overall much better DAC. The reason you see a preference over it is that the Wolfson chips are well, colored. Which also makes it it's biggest downfall. Here is a very long video about sigma-delta dacs along with very easy to understand explanations why the recent ESS chips are overall better. If you would like to tame a brightness that you don't like, talk to Jerg about his recommendations towards a fix as he seems the resident HE-500 expert.

big +1 here, i have myself as well.

Thanks brunk for the explanations and the link..I am leaning towards the ESS9018 and NFB 28. I hope someone is out there who have listened to these with the HE-500. More advise on the Audio GDs welcome too

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #9,152 of 20,374
Thanks brunk for the explanations and the link..I am leaning towards the ESS9018 and NFB 28. I hope someone is out there who have listened to these with the HE-500. More advise on the Audio GDs welcome too

Yep, you're welcome :) There is such a wealth of knowledge in that video too. I have watched it twice now and still learned things from it. Just wish I had the "insider goods" though!

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #9,153 of 20,374
I can't believe I forgot about Neutrik connectors. I use them all the time! You don't even have to solder, there are screw down versions available, and they are like $3 each from parts express.

Thanks. if you can, please post the parts. It will be a help, especially the screw down versions. Let me dig this also, even though it makes more sense for me to order the kit from Audio GD because I do not live in the USA and I can pretty much get this get this without shipping if place the order along with the Audio GD DAC/AMP.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #9,154 of 20,374

Yup, that certainly is the cheapest way to go balanced. Headphones which have two separate wires going to L/R earcups are "balanced", but terminated to single ended. all you need to do is change the 1/4" termination to a 4 pin XLR, or two 3 pin XLRs, and bam, you got a balanced cable. =) Done this many times, and is definitely the cheapest, and very easy if you can use a soldering iron. Even if you can't, its a good way to learn!

+1

Yup. if anything these cable prices have a made DIYphobic like me to try my hands at DIY. Hope it will turn out OK :)

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #9,155 of 20,374

What do you reccomend for a tube amp with the DA8 then? I'm trying to maximize the HE-500 performance with a $1000-1500 tube amp.

In that range, Woo WA6-SE will fit the bill nicely.  Very versatile amp!

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #9,156 of 20,374
  I own a few tube amps, the 337SE ,Lyr ,EF-5  and a couple of budget amps (Bellari and etc.)

I just picked up a Fosgate Signature Series amp. An amp that does not seem to get much notice on here, but it is absolutely the best sound I have heard to date. I bought it to pair with the HD800(perfect synergy) , but it sounds fantastic with everything I have tried it with.  It is right in the mentioned budget.

Fosgate makes good stuff!

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #9,157 of 20,374
Hifimanrookie left again, isn't it third time?
mad.gif

Don't even think anyone offended him this time.

@hfmrookie: You do talk a lot about your amp, indeed. That is no lie. It seems some of us might be slightly annoyed reading long posts saying pretty much what we already know.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #9,158 of 20,374

Quote:
  Hifimanrookie left again, isn't it third time?
mad.gif

Don't even think anyone offended him this time.

@hfmrookie: You do talk a lot about your amp, indeed. That is no lie. It seems some of us might be slightly annoyed reading long posts saying pretty much what we already know.

Speak for yourself. I for one wish to hear more about the aforementioned amplifier.

It's incredibly versatile, much like the Beyer T1. The only genre I'm not crazy about with the HE-6 is classical music recorded in a large setting. That's where the HD-800s shine, the huge soundstage. However, there's always crossfeed plug-ins should you desire a larger stage, or better yet actual speakers for that genre lol.

Yes, indeed. Will never get rid of speakers. Spent quite a few weeks just on speakers for that reason.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #9,159 of 20,374

It's funny, because I literally sent an email to them about an hour ago asking about it...a bit creepy. I was intrigued by how beautiful that amp was.

I cant even begin to tell you how much I am enjoying it, and it matches my game room
wink.gif

My only compliant is I spent so much money finding the perfect tubes to my ears with the Lyr that I feel like a recovering addict that is relapsing. At least 12ax7's are not as pricey as other tubes.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9,160 of 20,374
ES9018 = neutrality
WM8741's = slightly more warm

The difference is somewhat subtle to be honest and can only be picked up side by side, The amp section of the previously mentioned AGD wunderboxes have more of an impact on tonality than their DAC sections. I consider both DAC chips flagships when implemented properly. The Sabre DAC's are usually a little more expensive but that has to do with it's implementation and it's unit cost, not that it's marketed as the better choice.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #9,161 of 20,374
Thanks Chris.

Some nice observations there. Now I wonder if the Audio GD amps are warm or bright or neutral. Of course most often neutral is the word I hear about AGD.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #9,162 of 20,374
Thanks Chris.

Some nice observations there. Now I wonder if the Audio GD amps are warm or bright or neutral. Of course most often neutral is the word I hear about AGD.

Yeah they're fairly neutral. It's really difficult given there are like a thousand amps out there and we don't have a baseline for what "neutral" is.

I'd say that I don't inherently notice a lack of bass, too much, nor do I notice rolled highs or shrieking brightness compared to some of my other favorites. The Schiit Mjolnir when paired with Gungnir is a tad bright but it's a welcome addition to the LCD-2 signature anyway. When paired with HD800 it still sounds amazing.

A well executed amp shouldn't really receive praise, it's like telling the shovel "good job for digging holes" IMO. The happiest audiophiles usually are the ones who don't post and thats how I was feeling for a while actually. I haven't bought any new gear in almost 8 months. The hobby stops being expensive once you find stuff you like and sit on it for a long time heh.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #9,163 of 20,374
Chris, thanks again. Once again very balanced opinions.

I see you have many AGD products. I don't know if you have used HE -500 to give me a an opinion of how they may sound off AGD ES9018 solution?

I don't see myself doing much upgrades frequently.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #9,164 of 20,374
Chris, thanks again. Once again very balanced opinions.

I see you have many AGD products. I don't know if you have used HE -500 to give me a an opinion of how they may sound off AGD ES9018 solution?

I don't see myself doing much upgrades frequently.

PM me. I don't want to clog the thread with back and forth unless everybody else is dying to know LOL.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #9,165 of 20,374
A well executed amp shouldn't really receive praise, it's like telling the shovel "good job for digging holes" IMO. The happiest audiophiles usually are the ones who don't post and thats how I was feeling for a while actually. I haven't bought any new gear in almost 8 months. The hobby stops being expensive once you find stuff you like and sit on it for a long time heh.

I chuckle at the shills that preach for every new release and claim it's profound influence. Often times before it's ever heard. The wise hobbyist learns how to ignore the noise and choose equipment to provide pleasure without fear of obsolescence. Amps are one of those new and improved things that haven't changed in decades. A new case, a couple filters and ta-da, a breakthrough. A cable, new sheathing, a proprietary metal mix and stunning results. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back