HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #9,091 of 20,372
Does anyone have experience with how these headphones sound with the more speedy and heavy kind of metal? I also listen to a lot of classical and soundtrack but my main genre is def. Metal. Thanks.

Pretty good IMHO, orthodynamic is famous for it's speed (transients). My playlist 90% of it is metal, from eluvietie, lamb of god, myrath, symphony x etc. :D

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #9,092 of 20,372
I got out my Schiit Valhalla a little bit ago and have my HE=500's plugged into them listening to an original 94 Pink Floyd the Divison Bell on a 1988 Harman Kardon HD800 CD player and it is quite nice however there is some 'crackle' in the high's with the valhalla. certainly listenable though. 

I'm only saying this because a few weeks ago I saw someone say they sound awful with the Valhalla. they don't sound awful but it's not ideal, however you certainly could get by with it! 

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #9,094 of 20,372
  I got out my Schiit Valhalla a little bit ago and have my HE=500's plugged into them listening to an original 94 Pink Floyd the Divison Bell on a 1988 Harman Kardon HD800 CD player and it is quite nice however there is some 'crackle' in the high's with the valhalla. certainly listenable though. 

I'm only saying this because a few weeks ago I saw someone say they sound awful with the Valhalla. they don't sound awful but it's not ideal, however you certainly could get by with it! 

Get an impedance adapter. Higher impedance basically weeds out the crackle of noisier tube amps. You can ebay them. Look to have about 300ohm at the end of the day or around there is good enough.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #9,095 of 20,372
Does anyone have experience with how these headphones sound with the more speedy and heavy kind of metal? I also listen to a lot of classical and soundtrack but my main genre is def. Metal. Thanks.

Decent for both, but not really my taste. Just doesn't synergise to well with metal IMO. They are not too slow or anything, the sound is just a little too boring. On the other hand they are fairly forgiving despite the good sound quality. Not the best for classical, but decent.

Personally, I'd prefer a good vintage Stax setup in your place, but then I'd only want to listen to decent quality metal (like earlier metallica, LOG, slayer, so on..).

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #9,097 of 20,372
  Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicality, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.
LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." 
wink.gif

Excellent, I'll be looking out for that review.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #9,098 of 20,372
  Hi everyone!

I’m about to purchase the HE-500 and the emotive mini-X. I have been looking for a DAC in order to build a complete set. It is quite difficult because regarding the DAC there are many different choices and I haven’t find any DAC comparable to the value obtained for the money expended as in the case of the emotiva amp.

Precisely my concerns are with respect to the changes in the digital formats and the questionable upgradability of some DAC.

Do you recommend an entrance level and a good DAC for the HE-500? I’m thinking of getting the Shiit Modi for 99, the ODAC for 150, or the HIFYMeDIY sabre 2 for 60? Should I go for another level?

Does these DACs represent a dramatic upgrade with respect to my computer’s DAC or my sansa clip zip?

Thank you!

I recommend the HifimeDIY Sabre U2. Great DAC for the price, and better than the odac and modi to me. It will be a nice upgrade from both your PC DAC and Sansa.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9,099 of 20,372
in regards to someone inquiring about which can for metal/classical. In my opinion, I have found the Beyer T1 to really shine on these two genres. It's a very fast headphone and much more open sounding than the HE-500. If you want a more personal in-your-face presentation, the Grado RS1i, or PS500 are excellent choices, but get uncomfortable over time.

As far as pairing a DAC on the super cheap side of things, the ODAC is tough to beat, and actually holds a resale value.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #9,100 of 20,372
Thanks for the input everyone.

in regards to someone inquiring about which can for metal/classical. In my opinion, I have found the Beyer T1 to really shine on these two genres. It's a very fast headphone and much more open sounding than the HE-500. If you want a more personal in-your-face presentation, the Grado RS1i, or PS500 are excellent choices, but get uncomfortable over time.

As far as pairing a DAC on the super cheap side of things, the ODAC is tough to beat, and actually holds a resale value.

I heard the he6 recently through a hifiman-amp and was floored and amazed. Really enjoyed them with cds they had on display. (Eagles) I think I would really like them with metal but I can't afford the he6s and another amp to go with it. So that's why I'm looking into the he500.

I have the grados 325i and was able to try the ps500s as well and I do prefer the he6s. Although small sample size. How do u think the 500 compare with the he6?

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #9,101 of 20,372
Pretty good IMHO, orthodynamic is famous for it's speed (transients). My playlist 90% of it is metal, from eluvietie, lamb of god, myrath, symphony x etc. :D

Awesome great to hear. Have you ever compared it with the grados rs1i or the go 1000?

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #9,102 of 20,372
How do u think the 500 compare with the he6?

Strictly speaking between the two, the HE-6 is overall the better headphone.

HE-6 over HE-500
Bass
Mids
Treble
Transparency
Depth

HE-500 over HE-6
Forgiveness
Amp requirement

Equal or very similar
Soundstage
Imaging
Weight
Comfort
Cabling

The only caveat is that the HE-6 will not pull ahead far enough without a quality amp and dac. If you don't want, or desire, the dedication it takes for the HE-6, the HE-500 is definitely the way to go. If you do, you will be greatly rewarded. Many favor it overall compared to totl 'stats and HD-800s. Myself included. Don't confuse the HE-500 with that statement though.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #9,103 of 20,372

HE-6 over HE-500
Bass
Mids
Treble
Transparency
Depth

HE-500 over HE-6
Forgiveness
Amp requirement

Equal or very similar
Soundstage
Imaging
Weight
Comfort
Cabling

The only caveat is that the HE-6 will not pull ahead far enough without a quality amp and dac. If you don't want, or desire, the dedication it takes for the HE-6, the HE-500 is definitely the way to go. If you do, you will be greatly rewarded. Many favor it overall compared to totl 'stats and HD-800s. Myself included. Don't confuse the HE-500 with that statement though.

Don't forget HE500s have a custom-tailored earpad mod, for which HE6 may or may not benefit too much from.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #9,104 of 20,372

HE-6 over HE-500
Bass
Mids
Treble
Transparency
Depth

HE-500 over HE-6
Forgiveness
Amp requirement

Equal or very similar
Soundstage
Imaging
Weight
Comfort
Cabling

Spot on, while I prefer the HE-500, I do agree that the level of technicality from the HE-6 is overall bettrer? In terms of ratio, about 4:3.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #9,105 of 20,372

HE-6 over HE-500
Bass
Mids
Treble
Transparency
Depth

HE-500 over HE-6
Forgiveness
Amp requirement

Equal or very similar
Soundstage
Imaging
Weight
Comfort
Cabling

+100.  Dead on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back