HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #8,041 of 20,374
Colder Solid State amps if you live in a warmer climate like I do, and wamer Tube amps if you live in a cold environment! :D  Google is your friend and wants to help you!

Lolz..thats funny... I heard of people in india having tube amps....but i agree..if ur house is 40degrees celcius hot then a even hotter tube amp is not really the best combo to ensure reability..BUT airco and ventilators are ur best friend :D

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #8,042 of 20,374
Lolz..thats funny... I heard of people in india having tube amps....but i agree..if ur house is 40degrees celcius hot then a even hotter tube amp is not really the best combo to ensure reability..BUT airco and ventilators are ur best friend
biggrin.gif

The mercury is spinning 30C here, but the fan on my Emotiva Mini-X isn't spinning yet! Hows that for chilly solid state! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #8,044 of 20,374
:beerchug:

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #8,045 of 20,374

Oh. May you please explain the differences between a tube amp and solid state? I hear people say stuff like "I prefer a "tubey" sound" I just dont quite understand... 
confused.gif

BTW, who is in your display picture Leliana?

By a "tubey sound" they are referring to a warmth/ bump in the mid range which has been stereotyped to come from tube amplifiers. Of course as it has been explained above not all tube amps or solid state amps sound the same. Different tubes produce different results. Best to take each amp on its individual merits for your headphone. The Lyr is a hybrid of SS and tube, and it does very well with the HE-500. The emotiva is a very powerful amp that delivers a lot of overhead power to a inefficient headphone. The Lyr also has a lot of power but not as much.

Pretty sure most of the other stuff has been explained.

Nirrimi Hakanson is the person in my avatar.

Off to party now
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #8,046 of 20,374

Nice pic, but I'm not relating audio quality to price -.-, I'm just on a plan to try great headphones at ALL price ranges. So I'm working my way up through the Price Tiers as I have defined them, will all Hi Fi priced cans sound good, ofc not the same as all Mid and Low Fi cans do not sound bad

sheesh 

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #8,047 of 20,374
I should be joining the HE-500 club and Emotiva Mini X club myself. I'm getting both and a dac with them (not sure on this one yet). I'm using the HE adapter to rig it up. I should also be getting the alpha dogs as well.

Be interesting to see how much of an upgrade the HE-500 is over the MDR V6. Hope to be blown away!

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8,048 of 20,374

By a "tubey sound" they are referring to a warmth/ bump in the mid range which has been stereotyped to come from tube amplifiers. Of course as it has been explained above not all tube amps or solid state amps sound the same. Different tubes produce different results. Best to take each amp on its individual merits for your headphone. The Lyr is a hybrid of SS and tube, and it does very well with the HE-500. The emotiva is a very powerful amp that delivers a lot of overhead power to a inefficient headphone. The Lyr also has a lot of power but not as much.

Pretty sure most of the other stuff has been explained.

Nirrimi Hakanson is the person in my avatar.

Off to party now
biggrin.gif

Cheers! Thought the avatar was you haha.
wink.gif

BTW: I modded my J$ Pads for my HE500 today. Its a simple mod that requires no skill at all... I suck at DIY and if I can do it, a toddler can so you ought to try it if you have the J$ Pads. 
It's just ripping the "pantyhose" fabric from the stock pleather HiFiMan pads and taking that fabric and double sided taping it to the back of the retention ring. It acts as a guard for the drivers and also tames the highs quite a bit. Also looks better in my opinion. The J$ Pads have a much larger soundstage than the normal pads but some bass quantity and quality are compromised for the comfort and soundstage. The sub bass is more "wooly" and "fat" but speed and decay seem the same. The mid bass is some what tighter but lacking that texture from the stock pleathers with the jergpad mod. Also, I thought the J$ pads were a bit hard or stiff for my liking so I lifted my computer case which is probably a good 10 - 15 kgs and placed the pads under there for a few hours and took them out just now and they are now much softer and a tiny bit flatter obviously. Much more comfortable though. One thing I hate about the J$ Pads is that the ear hole is smaller than the stock pads and therefore, making my ears sweat and heat up faster than any other pad I've used to date and that is an issue for me due to wearing headphones for 10+ hours a day in one session but I can deal with it. These pads are awesome!

EDIT: There's more isolation too! Barely any though, its an open design headphone obviously

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #8,049 of 20,374

Cheers! Thought the avatar was you haha.
wink.gif

BTW: I modded my J$ Pads for my HE500 today. Its a simple mod that requires no skill at all... I suck at DIY and if I can do it, a toddler can so you ought to try it if you have the J$ Pads. 
It's just ripping the "pantyhose" fabric from the stock pleather HiFiMan pads and taking that fabric and double sided taping it to the back of the retention ring. It acts as a guard for the drivers and also tames the highs quite a bit. Also looks better in my opinion. The J$ Pads have a much larger soundstage than the normal pads but some bass quantity and quality are compromised for the comfort and soundstage. The sub bass is more "wooly" and "fat" but speed and decay seem the same. The mid bass is some what tighter but lacking that texture from the stock pleathers with the jergpad mod. Also, I thought the J$ pads were a bit hard or stiff for my liking so I lifted my computer case which is probably a good 10 - 15 kgs and placed the pads under there for a few hours and took them out just now and they are now much softer and a tiny bit flatter obviously. Much more comfortable though. One thing I hate about the J$ Pads is that the ear hole is smaller than the stock pads and therefore, making my ears sweat and heat up faster than any other pad I've used to date and that is an issue for me due to wearing headphones for 10+ hours a day in one session but I can deal with it. These pads are awesome!

EDIT: There's more isolation too! Barely any though, its an open design headphone obviously

Bass is tighter but lacks texture... sounds like the Dt 990 bass 

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #8,051 of 20,374

Never heard em before but yeah with the J$ Pads, its slightly tighter but loses that texture you could hear before maybe due to the drivers being further away from your ears?

hmm the MOST textured Bass I EVER experinced was the AD900x, which... had SUPER LEAN and very textured bass, but that was because it lacked decay in the bass... it was a well a good thing in the end for them as they where very aggressive and the super textured bass was cool... but if they sit closer you should lose texture since there's... more heft from the sheer db of force behind the bass, where as farther away you should be able to hear more details OR it could be that the details are so quiet that farther away they get kinda inaudilbe...

either way, the only time I really appreciate the SUPER detail is in classical, and some Ambient Techno... so the HE 400 with J$ should be better than well everything I have now, as the Beyers an the ATH's have nice detail but not as textured as what an Ortho should b 

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #8,052 of 20,374
  I should be joining the HE-500 club and Emotiva Mini X club myself. I'm getting both and a dac with them (not sure on this one yet). I'm using the HE adapter to rig it up. I should also be getting the alpha dogs as well.

Be interesting to see how much of an upgrade the HE-500 is over the MDR V6. Hope to be blown away!

You wouldn't ever be disappointed with that combo
basshead.gif

The V6 will be up for sale by the next day
biggrin.gif

Consider the Audio GD Reference 5.32, connect it up by RCA and you're good to go. Great dac, great for pc usage that I presume you'll be goin for. Can't go wrong with the doggies, great from all impressions thus far.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #8,053 of 20,374
  You wouldn't ever be disappointed with that combo
basshead.gif

The V6 will be up for sale by the next day
biggrin.gif

Consider the Audio GD Reference 5.32, connect it up by RCA and you're good to go. Great dac, great for pc usage that I presume you'll be goin for. Can't go wrong with the doggies, great from all impressions thus far.

The Audio gd Ref 5.32 is probably good, but using it single ended does not seem to me the best way to justify a 1000 $ cost

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #8,054 of 20,374

Users who are viewing this thread

Back