HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 12, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #7,741 of 20,372
  yeah they do BIG..mine will be a little less high...but rest will have same measurements...
i have a dedicated audio rack though to house it...and as u know my evil 337 was huge also and he fitted perfectly as u can see on my pics! so nothing new here.
biggrin.gif

and thanks for ur replies until now guys! ur the best...am waiting for some more
wink.gif

we wait for your impressions
beerchug.gif

p.s.: goza o teu novo amplificador!!!

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #7,742 of 20,372
Can anyone tell me what sort of power the Corda Classic would put into the HE-500s and how that compares to the other amps people are using with them?

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #7,744 of 20,372
Can anyone tell me what sort of power the Corda Classic would put into the HE-500s and how that compares to the other amps people are using with them?

Here is a quote from this page: http://www.head-fi.org/products/meier-audio-corda-classic
  The Classic, like many solid state amps, outputs significantly more power into low impedance loads than high impedance ones.  Jan provided me the following information:

1. Maximum output current: 500 mA / channel
  2. Maximum gain factor: 4,9 x (+14 dB)
  3. With a source signal of 2V rms the limiting factor normally is the gain factor. Maximum output voltage becomes 9,8 V rms.
  4. At 600 Ohm: 160 mW / channel
  5. At 300 Ohm: 320 mW / channel
  6. At 50 Ohm: 1.9 W / channel
  7. At 30 Ohm: 3.2 W / channel

The HE-500 is ~38 ohms so say roughly 3W/channel

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #7,745 of 20,372
Nope, but if the gsx doesnt like my mytek i. I might go for the bda2 or the m51 for sale right now..

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #7,746 of 20,372
Not too intrusive (the hiss I mean)?

Nah found it...Cheers. I didn't have the right search settings.

I don't hear the hiss unless the amp is almost at volume which is deafening.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7,747 of 20,372
  My PS Audio NuWave DAC has an acrylic cover and you always have to keep it clean from dust and fingerprints which gets kind of tedious after a while. I would think aluminium is your best best and I think it looks more classy. Nice amp that!

agree 1000%

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #7,748 of 20,372
Sep 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #7,749 of 20,372

thanks for all ur honest tips guys..i appreciate it!

You know that we are here for you and to help even though sometimes, our sense of humor might cause unintended feelings. 
tongue.gif
  We can't wait till you get your new amp.

On a sadder note, I just sent my taboo MKIII back today to Decware.  It has a bad noise issue only when I play DSDs, not Wav, Flac, Mp3....  My engineering background has no explanation for the problem.  I was told by Steve @ Decware that my TEAC UD501 DSD DAC was the cause so I ordered a replacement from Amazon.  The new DAC came yesterday but the issue remain so I now know it's not the DAC.  The weird thing that on my Emotiva and cheap Fiio E9K under 100% same software, interconnects, .... No issue whatsoever with DSD playback.  Steve @ Decware is just as puzzled as I am.  I overnight the amp to Steve.  He'll get it tmr and hopefully will figure out what the cause is. 
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7,750 of 20,372
You know that we are here for you and to help even though sometimes, our sense of humor might cause unintended feelings.  :p   We can't wait till you get your new amp.

On a sadder note, I just sent my taboo MKIII back today to Decware.  It has a bad noise issue only when I play DSDs, not Wav, Flac, Mp3....  My engineering background has no explanation for the problem.  I was told by Steve @ Decware that my TEAC UD501 DSD DAC was the cause so I ordered a replacement from Amazon.  The new DAC came yesterday but the issue remain so I now know it's not the DAC.  The weird thing that on my Emotiva and cheap Fiio E9K under 100% same software, interconnects, .... No issue whatsoever with DSD playback.  Steve @ Decware is just as puzzled as I am.  I overnight the amp to Steve.  He'll get it tmr and hopefully will figure out what the cause is.  :confused:

I am sorry to hear that my friend..maybe something with the tube output? But am sure steve will find it out or else sent u a new one..

And about humor..yessss..sometimes i can stick u behind the wallpaper..hehehehe but u helping me guys made me forgive u..yep..am very forgiving..all ying yang now..well..sort off...thats until i have my new amp that is..am waiting for a price for the plexis (or glass!) and manufacturings costs..he is checking the prices for the raw materials out..if its to expensive i rather invest it in more power (more opamps!) then in looks..but keep u guys updated..
In meantime i have my evil one with me...
Just got a mail he will maybe sell my 337 again..as he found a new playtoy in germany where he is residing now until november for business (second housie).

..he says its maybe the best headphone amp money can buy...and unique! it can drive dynamic, otho dynamic, And electrostats!!! Balanced and single ended..in one amp! Never heard of the brand:

Its a Mal Valve head amp three..and i just checked the price...6995usd.. For a headphone amp!!! And i thought my amp was expensive!.. U guys ever heard about it??
He probably will buy a stax as well after that..poor basterd..not knowing what to do with his money..:D

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #7,751 of 20,372
I'd go for glass or aluminium as opposed to acrylic as that could look a little cheap. Perhaps you should buy the evil one off him for your second rig when you get the HE-6? (and bring it to the October meet!)

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7,752 of 20,372
Hi guys, 2 quick questions, is the presentation box (not the solid travel case) made of wood or leather as some have said. Also, what do you think of the comfort of these headphones? Are they too heavy for you and how is the overall comfort of these?

Cheers
Pumelman8

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #7,753 of 20,372
The presentation box appears to be wood coated in a vinyl/pleather type material - the foam inside is exposed: http://www.headfreqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/web105.jpg  However, this is easily classed up by adding some velour/velvet/silk fabric inside like you might see in the HD800 case.  In mine, I cut out extra 'compartment' holes for cables and pads and lined it with a silky fabric.  Unfortunately it seems the previous owner had used a razor to cut into the original box and cut up the bottom of the case, and some of the edges were scuffed and the coating was peeling off - still contemplating how to clean it up.  Otherwise, it looks pretty nice. 

Depending on what you're used to wearing, the weight can take some getting used to.  Most other headphones are 200+ grams lighter I believe.  Otherwise, they are quite comfortable.  The two issues I always see is people having is excess pressure applied to the top point of their head or neck pain, but it's not all that often.  There are aftermarket headband cushions or comfort strap solutions that easily remedy any headband issues.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #7,754 of 20,372
The presentation box appears to be wood coated in a vinyl/pleather type material - the foam inside is exposed: http://www.headfreqs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/web105.jpg  However, this is easily classed up by adding some velour/velvet/silk fabric inside like you might see in the HD800 case.  In mine, I cut out extra 'compartment' holes for cables and pads and lined it with a silky fabric.  Unfortunately it seems the previous owner had used a razor to cut into the original box and cut up the bottom of the case, and some of the edges were scuffed and the coating was peeling off - still contemplating how to clean it up.  Otherwise, it looks pretty nice. 

Depending on what you're used to wearing, the weight can take some getting used to.  Most other headphones are 200+ grams lighter I believe.  Otherwise, they are quite comfortable.  The two issues I always see is people having is excess pressure applied to the top point of their head or neck pain, but it's not all that often.  There are aftermarket headband cushions or comfort strap solutions that easily remedy any headband issues.

I've seen other hifiman presentation boxes and they are already covered in a silky material, why would they change it? :frowning2:
Which case should I choose to have the headphones shipped from America to the UK, the presentation box or the ballistic nylon travel case?
My current headphones are the grado sr80i, and I find these quite light on my head; are the he-500's much heavier than these?
Also, I know that previously the he-500's came shipped with the thick canare cable and now they comple with the thin silver copper cable. Is the new cable better than the canare even though it is so thin?

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #7,755 of 20,372
I've seen other hifiman presentation boxes and they are already covered in a silky material, why would they change it?
frown.gif

Which case should I choose to have the headphones shipped from America to the UK, the presentation box or the ballistic nylon travel case?
My current headphones are the grado sr80i, and I find these quite light on my head; are the he-500's much heavier than these?
Also, I know that previously the he-500's came shipped with the thick canare cable and now they comple with the thin silver copper cable. Is the new cable better than the canare even though it is so thin?

The Grados are about 1/3 - 1/4 the weight, I think they're roughly 150g where the HE-500 is about 500g.  They've got some pretty heavy magnets in there...

You may have seen some of the earlier presentation boxes (or maybe they send nicer finished boxes to reviewers) but it seems most of them now come with plain foam.  It's not hard to remedy if you've got some extra fabric lying around.  My guess is cost cutting if anything.  The travel case has the same type of foam cutout form, so I think as long as the headphones are secured either would be fine for shipping.  I am considering picking up a travel case as it is more practical for...well, traveling if you take them to meets or on trips.  The new cable is woven silver-plated copper, and the wire sheath is teflon so it's a bit stiffer.  I'd say better quality vs the canare cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back