HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #7,666 of 20,374
^Lolz...

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #7,667 of 20,374
  I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

It's a great setup and they have great support to go along with their products.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #7,668 of 20,374
  I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

I have that combo and love it. I don't see why you would need anymore power than this set up. maybe if you have a lot of money it might sound better with higher end stuff but I think it sounds great and has plenty of power.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #7,669 of 20,374
well, so far it is my dream combination based on the review and thread browse in this forum, at the moment I can only affords the Chinese made audiophile items which I use everyday and enjoy it (HE-500 and E12).

You definitely been reading a lot of wrong reviews.. Please don't be like me, reading reviews on the trade forum sections

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #7,670 of 20,374
okay. but you know that stax sr-009 needs a diferent amplifier and is not possible to put an aftermarket cable?

Holy moly :-o ... well I guess you are right man...
it is not within my reach yet to have the Electrostatic can yet :-/

which mean I cannot use STAX can on the go / mobile while on the train (-_0)"

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #7,671 of 20,374
You definitely been reading a lot of wrong reviews.. Please don't be like me, reading reviews on the trade forum sections

LOL yes man, so far I've decided all of my audiophile hardware based on the head-Fi thread and also Amazon.com review.
Luckily all of my purchase were absolutely amazing and eye opening for me.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #7,672 of 20,374
Holy moly :-o ... well I guess you are right man...
it is not within my reach yet to have the Electrostatic can yet :-/

which mean I cannot use STAX can on the go / mobile while on the train (-_0)"

why not? whit a suitcase and a current generator
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #7,673 of 20,374
Sep 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #7,676 of 20,374
Hi,
Just wondering whether someone who’s owned one of these amps could give me their opinion... I have the HE-500 and the M-stage and I’m looking at ordering either an Audio-GD SA-31SE or a Lyr to replace the Matrix. I had pretty much made my mind up to go for the SA-31 but then the better warranty offered by Schiit and the number of people who seem to be really happy with their Lyr makes me wonder. The main things that I am looking for are a significant improvement in bass, no compromise to the level of detail and a set-up that’s good for most genres (but definitely very good for electronic music). I don’t have any intention of spending a lot on tube-rolling. $600 (incl. shipping) is my budget limit. Basically the SA-31 sounds pretty much ideal for what I want, a little bit on the warm side shouldn't be a problem to me. The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is longevity ... Spending this much on a headphone amp. is not something I can justify doing very often. Schiit appears to have a good reputation for making products of solid quality. I don't have a problem with buying from a Chinese company (both my HE-500 & IE80 were made in China, and I'm very happy with them). I'm just hoping the unit I buy will last a good long time and sound amazing with the HE-500. I currently just use an iPod classic as my source but I will be getting an ODAC sometime soon after getting the amplifier. I did look into the emotiva option but shipping cost was going to be an issue. Also if the amp also pairs well with Audeze LCD-2 that would be a bonus as maybe one day I'll get my hands on them. Any advice as to which one I should go with would be much appreciated. I just want to get this headphone rig set up as good as I can afford and get back to the important stuff: enjoying the music (instead of perpetually researching gear).

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #7,677 of 20,374
Hi,
Just wondering whether someone who’s owned one of these amps could give me their opinion... I have the HE-500 and the M-stage and I’m looking at ordering either an Audio-GD SA-31SE or a Lyr to replace the Matrix. I had pretty much made my mind up to go for the SA-31 but then the better warranty offered by Schiit and the number of people who seem to be really happy with their Lyr makes me wonder. The main things that I am looking for are a significant improvement in bass, no compromise to the level of detail and a set-up that’s good for most genres (but definitely very good for electronic music). I don’t have any intention of spending a lot on tube-rolling. $600 (incl. shipping) is my budget limit. Basically the SA-31 sounds pretty much ideal for what I want, a little bit on the warm side shouldn't be a problem to me. The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is longevity ... Spending this much on a headphone amp. is not something I can justify doing very often. Schiit appears to have a good reputation for making products of solid quality. I don't have a problem with buying from a Chinese company (both my HE-500 & IE80 were made in China, and I'm very happy with them). I'm just hoping the unit I buy will last a good long time and sound amazing with the HE-500. I currently just use an iPod classic as my source but I will be getting an ODAC sometime soon after getting the amplifier. I did look into the emotiva option but shipping cost was going to be an issue. Also if the amp also pairs well with Audeze LCD-2 that would be a bonus as maybe one day I'll get my hands on them. Any advice as to which one I should go with would be much appreciated. I just want to get this headphone rig set up as good as I can afford and get back to the important stuff: enjoying the music (instead of perpetually researching gear).

Go SA-31 if you are not going to roll tubes, the Lyr is very responsive to tube rolling and you will never know what it is cable of sounding like if you do not intend to.

The SA-31 does a fine job with the Lcd-2's and the HE-500, clean power, good sound stage with a touch of warmth that you can make a bit warmer via the jumpers. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #7,678 of 20,374
Hi,

Hey, what was the shipping quote you got from Emotiva. Where are you located.

BTW the Emotiva works finely for me with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3. Really good with LCD-2. HE-500 you get more volume play.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #7,680 of 20,374

87.98 Fed Ex economy here 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I bought mines back in December in holiday sale for $189. With shipping, customs, taxes, brokerage fees; I was able to get it shipped here to Toronto, Canada all for $267. That's like the cost of an Asgard and probably still less. Easily much less than Lyr. Works nicely with speakers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back