HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #7,457 of 20,374
Quote:

Aren't the LFF Paradox meant to be better/more neutral than the he-500?

I find the LFF Paradox to be more neutral but technically limited, probably better timbre, but worse in just about every other category. Plus they are a closed headphone and sound like a closed headphone. The paradox does not scale even close to the HE-500. If if you wanted to spend a little amount of money on a DAC/AMP the paradox would probably be better but the HE-500 does really well with good gear.

The texture that comes through with such high resolution is a highlight of the HE-500 for me, something that I could not get the T50RP to reproduce. It also offers better extension in both highs and lows, better detail across the board, better soundstage, better instrument separation. The drivers are faster too I'm pretty sure. So the paradox is less colored while the HE-500 offers a touch of warmth.

To me the headphones are not in the same league. I do enjoy the Paradox but I realize it has limitations, the HE-500's limits seem pretty extreme if you ask me kind of like when yo ugo from the paradox to the HE-500, you feel like the HE-500 can do anything you ask it to do. It's hard to say what's missing in the HE-500 because I feel that it has everything you want in a headphone as long as you agree with the signature, which is one that makes music very easy to listen to for a long time. I imagine that was a goal of the HE-500.

I would consider the paradox as one of the strongest contenders of Mid-Fi phones, as I would put it just on the edge because it does not offer the detail of all other TOTL headphones. For some people I imagine it is their end game headphone because it has a very realistic presentation of the music. The paradox excels in this category more than any headphone that I've heard.

So the Paradox might be "better" to some, but from a technical standpoint I believe it is limited compared to the HE-500.

I personally prefer my HE-500 but that's just my opinion. It brings to life the emotion of the musician from my perspective due to all of the extra elements as well as the way which they are tuned, which I realize is a very subjective statement but that's how I feel about it compared to the Paradox on a personal level. If you are interested in the sound I described from the paradox you should give it a try. I think it will impress most people even with the price tag.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7,459 of 20,374
I find the LFF Paradox to be more neutral but technically limited, probably better timbre, but worse in just about every other category. Plus they are a closed headphone and sound like a closed headphone. The paradox does not scale even close to the HE-500. If if you wanted to spend a little amount of money on a DAC/AMP the paradox would probably be better but the HE-500 does really well with good gear.

The texture that comes through with such high resolution is a highlight of the HE-500 for me, something that I could not get the T50RP to reproduce. It also offers better extension in both highs and lows, better detail across the board, better soundstage, better instrument separation. The drivers are faster too I'm pretty sure. So the paradox is less colored while the HE-500 offers a touch of warmth.

To me the headphones are not in the same league. I do enjoy the Paradox but I realize it has limitations, the HE-500's limits seem pretty extreme if you ask me kind of like when yo ugo from the paradox to the HE-500, you feel like the HE-500 can do anything you ask it to do. It's hard to say what's missing in the HE-500 because I feel that it has everything you want in a headphone as long as you agree with the signature, which is one that makes music very easy to listen to for a long time. I imagine that was a goal of the HE-500.

I would consider the paradox as one of the strongest contenders of Mid-Fi phones, as I would put it just on the edge because it does not offer the detail of all other TOTL headphones. For some people I imagine it is their end game headphone because it has a very realistic presentation of the music. The paradox excels in this category more than any headphone that I've heard.

So the Paradox might be "better" to some, but from a technical standpoint I believe it is limited compared to the HE-500.

I personally prefer my HE-500 but that's just my opinion. It brings to life the emotion of the musician from my perspective due to all of the extra elements as well as the way which they are tuned, which I realize is a very subjective statement but that's how I feel about it compared to the Paradox on a personal level. If you are interested in the sound I described from the paradox you should give it a try. I think it will impress most people even with the price tag.

Wow, thank you Sir for the detailed reply.  The He500 are great headphones in that regard, they truly make you feel the music.  I just wish they had the soundstage of a HD800 but I guess we can't have it all. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #7,460 of 20,374
Quote:

Wow, thank you Sir for the detailed reply.  The He500 are great headphones in that regard, they truly make you feel the music.  I just wish they had the soundstage of a HD800 but I guess we can't have it all. 

Too true...but I think the soundstage on the HE-500 is still fairly realistic and natural, perhaps depending on what you're listening to.  I heard an HD800 again this past weekend and I love the way it handles classical, but binaural recordings for example sound great on both headphones IMO, and I'd pick the HE-500 for rock.  Still, compromises and personal preferences in the end. 
cool.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7,461 of 20,374
Quote:
TH900 is so-so, 1 step below the big open cans in terms of sonic - but you got a closed can (doesn't isolate that much tbh) and a very nice lacquer finish. I'd highly recommend borrowing Staxes for like 1 month. Brief audition usually leave you with Stax honeymoon - or complete meh 
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah the closed aspect that I am seeking from the TH-900 isn't about isolation but also the way it sounds. My D2000, and I am guessing the TH-900 is also similar, is closed yet leaks a lot for closed and doesn't isolate much. However, it's very open sounding for a closed headphone. So you kind of get an open sound but with the sub bass rumble and wet reverbish sound as well of a closed headphone. 

Here in Canada, no retailer nearby Toronto has Stax yet. Some stores might carry it in the future, so gotta wait for that. I would love to try one out for a month, but wouldn't know where to begin.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #7,462 of 20,374
Quote:

Well said, this is what I think while I'm owning these.  One of the HE500 strength is it a very easy listening headphone while doing a lot right from bass to treble, imaging, etc.

To me the sound stage can do just a smudge "bigger", but overall I don't think the HE500 needs a super large soundstage as it's what bring the HE500 the realism feel.  maybe one day I'll get to experience the HD800 or the T1 to get what a good sounding headphone with a larger sound stage is all about.

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #7,463 of 20,374
Quote:
The He-6 or any other flagship minus the Ps1k works with every genre really - just not as good at certain genres compare to other. 

If you want something different from the Lcd3, why not get a hd800 (or Staxes)?

lol + 1

i am returning the ps1000 this week. just too many flaws. i might re-buy the RS1i though, which for when you want to rock out and want that warm grado house sound, those are it. the true grado flagship

but for rock and metal and older recordings the T1 is better than the PS1000 is just about every way imaginable. theres also the LCD-3 which is amazing as well

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #7,464 of 20,374
Best Grado "in production" is Alessandro MS-Pro in my opinion after Ultimate mod. Although I did not hear longer time RS1i, GS1000i and never listened Magnums. PS1000 have too much bass boom and sounded strenge to me.
HP1000 would be in production(  

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #7,465 of 20,374
I sold my he-500's because of comfort issues, and purchased the T90's after briefly auditioning them at my local headphone store. coming from the HE-500's, I must say the T90's really are quite spectacular.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #7,467 of 20,374
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #7,468 of 20,374
Quote:
In terms of comfort or sound? Or both?

Comfort is like day and night.....the T90's are probably the most comfortable can I have ever worn. 

Sound wise I still maintain that HE-500 sound is amazing, which is why we all love them. The T90's are immediately different, they have a huge sound stage, a lot more detail, more air, treble is sparkling......but less "weight" to the sound and bass. I am preferring the T90's as my early impressions, especially with electronic music. They are like a T1, but more fun to listen too because they aren't so clinical. 

I am using an Audiolab Mdac as source, and Meier Corda Classic amp, same as I had with the HE-500's 

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #7,469 of 20,374
Comfort is like day and night.....the T90's are probably the most comfortable can I have ever worn. 

Sound wise I still maintain that HE-500 sound is amazing, which is why we all love them. The T90's are immediately different, they have a huge sound stage, a lot more detail, more air, treble is sparkling......but less "weight" to the sound and bass. I am preferring the T90's as my early impressions, especially with electronic music. They are like a T1, but more fun to listen too because they aren't so clinical. 

I am using an Audiolab Mdac as source, and Meier Corda Classic amp, same as I had with the HE-500's 

I really like Beyers but the DT770s used to leave my ears a little sweaty, perhaps the open T90s would keep a bit cooler. Would you consider them a true upgrade or more of a sidegrade? It sounds like the T90s are a little brighter and less intimate but good otherwise, I imagine they'd perform better with rock and classical genres from what you've described.

The Corda Classic would provide sufficient power, right Lloyd?

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #7,470 of 20,374
Quote:
I really like Beyers but the DT770s used to leave my ears a little sweaty, perhaps the open T90s would keep a bit cooler. Would you consider them a true upgrade or more of a sidegrade? It sounds like the T90s are a little brighter and less intimate but good otherwise, I imagine they'd perform better with rock and classical genres from what you've described.

The Corda Classic would provide sufficient power, right Lloyd?

Definite side-grade, I would put the T90, HE-500, LCD2  in the same performance range, the T1 is better still, but too revealing and clinical for me. 

So it just comes down to personal preference/taste and set up. 

The T90's excel with electronic and ambient music imo (they are still a bassy headphone). The He-500 I think did rock better, kind of the opposite of what you said haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back