HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #6,046 of 20,374
Quote:

Yeah, but i cannot abuse it too much. The HE-500 has a nice case and if my package is opened and the inspector searches for the HE-500 real value I'll be fined by 100% of the tax (120%).

I was thinking of declaring it as a HE-300 or just as HiFi headphone with a value somewhere 99-199 USD, but I have no idea if it is safe to do that using Fedex,
The best way to try to avoid taxes all around is using USPS Priority Mail International, which will take quite a long time to arrive and it's not completely safe specially when declaring a lower value.

The guys at Hifiman are real nice. When they send you stuff, they label it as "gift" rather than "goods"...similar to paypal. You can probably ask them to send the receipt separately and/or online, so no receipt is in the box.

Get a carrying case and not the hard box. The black carrying case shouldn't attract much attention.

Also, regarding shipping, the slower the shipping process, the more likely you are going to get ****ed. If you do one of those 2 day super fast priority shipping, chances are that it'll blow by customs. Might as well as put the same money in shipping and get it fast rather than pay it on customs.

I suggest contacting the customer service at Hifiman and working out the best scenario. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #6,047 of 20,374
I don't buy anything from outside of Europe unless the seller agrees to mark it as a gift or low value item. A lot of sellers/companies are sympathetic to the fact that we're ripped off with taxes, but at the end of the day, they're breaking the law by not declaring the true value of an item. I ask on the off chance rather than expect it to be done. As Jerg says, it may be different buying directly from the manufacturer as they can set the price. Grados are shockingly overpriced in the UK. You can get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s new cheaper than the RS1s. Even buying from Europe is cheaper than buying within the UK.

However, we have it good compared to Brazil.

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #6,048 of 20,374
l0l at RS1  costing more than T1.

but yeah seems better than paying 1200 for an hd 650, like What.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #6,049 of 20,374
l0l at RS1  costing more than T1.

but yeah seems better than paying 1200 for an hd 650, like What.

Odd is that a hd800 here in netherlands costs 998 euros (1255 usd) only.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #6,050 of 20,374
The RS1 has an RRP of £895 ($1333) in the UK. Although they can be had cheaper than that a lot of authorised retailers sell them at that price. To get them at a fair price, you're looking at buying from an unauthorised seller, thus voiding the Grado warranty. The T1's can be bought for about £860 which is roughly what you pay in the States. The HE-500s seem to be 695 everywhere, regardless of the currency - although Hifiman aren't as picky about their warranties as Grado are. But yeah, $1200 for HD 650 seems a little...steep.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #6,053 of 20,374
In the UK we're constantly ripped off when it comes to audio, it's almost as if retailers don't understand the concept of exchange rates and currencies.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #6,054 of 20,374
In the UK we're constantly ripped off when it comes to audio, it's almost as if retailers don't understand the concept of exchange rates and currencies.

It's not just audio. When I was in the States a couple of years ago I was getting drunk on whiskey and buying designer brands for a fraction of the price of what you pay over here. I bought some Ray-Bans for $120 in Boston. The same pair over here cost about £200.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #6,055 of 20,374
he-500 does have the worst stock cable i've seen to date. well one of the worst. im waiting to get my norse audio back. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #6,056 of 20,374
I might buy a Toxic cable for my LCD-2 further down the line. The stock cable there seems decent enough though. Anyway, having never seen or heard the HE-500, I will withdraw from this thread before it turns into an epic rant about cables and UK customs charges.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #6,058 of 20,374
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the tonal/performance differences between the HE-400 and the HE-500? I'm thinking of upgrading from the 400 to the 500 soon and would
Like people's impressions.

The he400? Well..i hated that phone..and sold it very quickly..to agressive, treble to much in ur face, bass very strong but to much of it..not a balanced headphone IMHO...but some people like it just because of that agressive sound signture..and its easy to be driven by humble amps...
the he500 is harder to drive, more balanced..its all more a complete headphone...better to use for a long listening sessions without headaches...
its my experience ofcourse..but dont get me wrong..the he400 is a very good headpphone for the price and if u like a more in ur face sound signature

edit..i understand that if u jergmod (pads mod) the he400 it gets a better headphone..more balanced..more like a he500..thats what i read here...dont have first hand experience with those on my he400.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #6,059 of 20,374
After listening to the Emotiva mini-x amp on my bookshelf speakers I couldn't resist the temptation to knacker my terrible stock Hifiman cable. The cable now features banana plugs and is now connected to the Emotiva mini-x a-100 via the speaker taps. Boy, feels like the HE-500s have been strapped on to a supercharger or rocket pod! Like a hardcore American muscle car and no sugar coating, but does it cruise nicely and does it have some style and finesse!

My Project Sunrise 2 amp now won't be getting any joy again till I receive my Toxic headphone cable (long waiting list...).

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #6,060 of 20,374
Quote:
After listening to the Emotiva mini-x amp on my bookshelf speakers I couldn't resist the temptation to knacker my terrible stock Hifiman cable. The cable now features banana plugs and is now connected to the Emotiva mini-x a-100 via the speaker taps. Boy, feels like the HE-500s have been strapped on to a supercharger or rocket pod! Like a hardcore American muscle car and no sugar coating, but does it cruise nicely and does it have some style and finesse!

My Project Sunrise 2 amp now won't be getting any joy again till I receive my Toxic headphone cable (long waiting list...).

How do the two amps compare in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back