HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #18,512 of 20,374
The roll off is very minor and in my experience, unnoticeable in the real world (https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf - my measurements for the roll off look the same). I'm not looking for a smoother sound, but those pads do look nice. Didn't like the sound of leather before with the alpha pads, but I may give them a go out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #18,513 of 20,374
Not sure if I posted these before but here's a few pics of the HE-500 with the Mr.Speakers Ether C angled pads.
IMG_20180222_202746.jpg
IMG_20180222_202836.jpg
IMG_20180222_202911.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #18,514 of 20,374
I have a question for HE-500 owners. During the Maggot Brain guitar solo by Funkadelic, you can hear when Eddie Hazel turns up the distortion/noise floor on his guitar and a high-pitched hiss becomes audible (4:21, you can also hear it when things go quiet 4:57). On HE-4XX this sounds like a high metallic sizzle, but on other headphones (RS-1) you can hear that he had only turned up his guitar to 11 (a more even hiss). Just wondering- do HE-500 also do that during that passage?

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #18,515 of 20,374
I have a question for HE-500 owners. During the Maggot Brain guitar solo by Funkadelic, you can hear when Eddie Hazel turns up the distortion/noise floor on his guitar and a high-pitched hiss becomes audible (4:21, you can also hear it when things go quiet 4:57). On HE-4XX this sounds like a high metallic sizzle, but on other headphones (RS-1) you can hear that he had only turned up his guitar to 11 (a more even hiss). Just wondering- do HE-500 also do that during that passage?

Sounds like hiss (sounded pretty "even" to me) on both my HE-500 as well as my HD 600 at the 4:21 (sounded more like 4:22 to me) mark when it kicks in, can't say I really heard anything I'd characterize as a "high metallic sizzle", although I want to test it with my HE-4XX but will do that tomorrow since it's at the office and not here with me at home -- but just to make sure I experience the same thing you hear on the HE-4XX.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #18,516 of 20,374
The roll off is very minor and in my experience, unnoticeable in the real world (https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf - my measurements for the roll off look the same). I'm not looking for a smoother sound, but those pads do look nice. Didn't like the sound of leather before with the alpha pads, but I may give them a go out of curiosity.
they dont sound like a big leather pads, they are very close to the stock velour, just a little bit better in my opinion

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #18,517 of 20,374
Sounds like hiss (sounded pretty "even" to me) on both my HE-500 as well as my HD 600 at the 4:21 (sounded more like 4:22 to me) mark when it kicks in, can't say I really heard anything I'd characterize as a "high metallic sizzle", although I want to test it with my HE-4XX but will do that tomorrow since it's at the office and not here with me at home -- but just to make sure I experience the same thing you hear on the HE-4XX.
Yes, a direct comparison to HE-4XX would be ideal, thanks! HD600 have a very natural treble, that seems like a great comparison. I am very much enjoying my new HE-4XX but have started hearing odd things like that in the treble and just want to make sure HE-500 doesn't have that so I can eventually move up the line. As a side question, is this the kind of thing that makes some people critical of HE-560's treble and if I don't like HE4XX's treble should I also avoid those?

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #18,518 of 20,374
After trying so many pads over so many months, I've come full circle and I think the 500s sound best with the stock velour. Yep

You really need to try the Dekoni hybrid TH-900 pads that I wrote about the other day. Them and the Ether Flow pads are the only 2 I would pick over stock. Most others I've tried really make them too full, or sound congested.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #18,519 of 20,374
You really need to try the Dekoni hybrid TH-900 pads that I wrote about the other day. Them and the Ether Flow pads are the only 2 I would pick over stock. Most others I've tried really make them too full, or sound congested.

I upgraded to the Focus pads a few years ago and like how they made my HE500 sound. Do you know how the Dekoni TH-900 pads compare? I see that Massdrop has them (1 day left).

I bought the Dekoni pads (Elite Velour) for my HD650 and like how they improved the bass (but made them more forward sounding).

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #18,520 of 20,374
I upgraded to the Focus pads a few years ago and like how they made my HE500 sound. Do you know how the Dekoni TH-900 pads compare? I see that Massdrop has them (1 day left).

I bought the Dekoni pads (Elite Velour) for my HD650 and like how they improved the bass (but made them more forward sounding).

I haven't heard the focus pads unfortunately. The hybrid pads give the detail and soundstage of velour, with the slightly better bass response of leather :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #18,522 of 20,374
I think it can greatly depend on the DAC and the type of DAC - Delta-Sigma or multibit.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #18,523 of 20,374
I tried couple different pads after my FocusPad-A´s disintegrated (shame...). Stock velour and pleather are no good. Brainwavz sheepskin ovals were equally bad (sound and comfort). Then I found THESE, i think someone even recommended them here at forums.

Hot damn these are good in every possible way. But beware, you have to make couple cuts (I made four cuts in crosshair style per pad) to make it stretch onto HE-500. I think they are equally good or better than FocusPad-A´s and very inexpensive! They seem well-put but only time will tell If they outlast FocusPad-A´s. I also got more expensive straight-outta-china pads made for Hifimans and they dont match these sound-wise.

If you dont want to cut your pads, then these might be equally good but I dont have any first hand experience. At least they seem same material-wise, just bigger. From my experience I cant over-emphasize the fact that "luxury materials" and higher cost does not equal better sound and comfort.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #18,524 of 20,374
foba yeah I recommended them in the He-500 pads thread.

For me these are the best sounding and also the most comfy pads of all pads that I tried (Focus A are second best), and are just 7euro.

I ordered 3 pairs, just to be safe and had no need to cut them, you just strech them over the ring, they are basically much better HM5 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back