HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #18,346 of 20,374
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #18,347 of 20,374
Oct 19, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #18,349 of 20,374
But these are oval shaped, wouldn't it make more sense to get the round ones?
I looked up some previous threads about the hm5 pads and they fit the oval pads around the hifiman rings apparently.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #18,350 of 20,374
I looked up some previous threads about the hm5 pads and they fit the oval pads around the hifiman rings apparently.

Yep I've hand them for more than 6 months now. Got them to try on my T50RP but they ended up with the Brainwavz sheepskin on the T50RPs and the hybrids replaced my HiFiMan Focus pads.

The Focus pads weren't so we'll made and the the cloth on the back was coming apart. I think I liked the Brainwavz slightly better. Maybe it was in my head, but either they where definitely not worse.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #18,352 of 20,374
Which oval hybrid hm5 pads are you guys talking about? ANGLED? or just the regular? Didn't realize there are 2 versions on the website

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #18,354 of 20,374
Flat hybrids.
Is there a specific reason or is that just the ones people have tried so far? Are they preferred over the angled?

Also, has anybody tried the full velour brainwavz pads and compared?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #18,356 of 20,374
I tried full velour,good but stock velour are better,so it s not worth it.
:frowning2: so only worth trying the hybrids, eh? Alright thanks man

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #18,357 of 20,374
Is there a specific reason or is that just the ones people have tried so far? Are they preferred over the angled?

Also, has anybody tried the full velour brainwavz pads and compared?

I have only tried the flat hybrids. Well, I've tried the Cascadia Audio Impact Pads, but not the Brainwavz angled hybrids.

As for the full velour, I think I have both a flat and angled pair, so I'll try those and see how I go. Keep in mind that I no longer have my HE-500, though, so I'll be trying them on my HE-6. The differences vs stock pads (or flat hybrids) should translate well to the HE-500 though.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #18,358 of 20,374
I have only tried the flat hybrids. Well, I've tried the Cascadia Audio Impact Pads, but not the Brainwavz angled hybrids.

As for the full velour, I think I have both a flat and angled pair, so I'll try those and see how I go. Keep in mind that I no longer have my HE-500, though, so I'll be trying them on my HE-6. The differences vs stock pads (or flat hybrids) should translate well to the HE-500 though.
yeah the character of the he-6 is similar enough, and should be consistent across both headphones for the most part. Please let me know what you think, as once I get enough info I'll decide on a pair to buy and give it a shot :D

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #18,359 of 20,374
Something really weird happened to my HE-500.

Yesterday or the day before I noticed that there was a channel imbalance on the right driver. It was slightly quieter than the left one. It was really noticeable in bass heavy tracks where the right driver didn't hit as hard on the drums and bass texture was just gone.

I tried to troubleshoot it by using other cables, switching connectors and other things same result. I inspected the right membrane and it looked fine but during playback it moved way less and slower than the left one as if there was some kind of invisible dampening going on.

I began to play a 20Hz tone at really high volume only to notice that the right channel began producing crackling sounds but looking the driver directly there was nothing weird happening during that test.

It was when I put down the headphones and did something else that I heard a popping sound from the headphones (no music was playing but it was connected to the amp). I began playing some music and the channel imbalance was gone like it never happened.

I was relieved but really confused as well. Did any of you experienced this before?

Thinking deeply, my wild guess might be static build up on the right membrane but I don't know. It sounds far-fetched.

TL;DR: HE-500 had channel imbalance, magically self heals and everything went back to normal.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #18,360 of 20,374
Something really weird happened to my HE-500.

Yesterday or the day before I noticed that there was a channel imbalance on the right driver. It was slightly quieter than the left one. It was really noticeable in bass heavy tracks where the right driver didn't hit as hard on the drums and bass texture was just gone.

I tried to troubleshoot it by using other cables, switching connectors and other things same result. I inspected the right membrane and it looked fine but during playback it moved way less and slower than the left one as if there was some kind of invisible dampening going on.

I began to play a 20Hz tone at really high volume only to notice that the right channel began producing crackling sounds but looking the driver directly there was nothing weird happening during that test.

It was when I put down the headphones and did something else that I heard a popping sound from the headphones (no music was playing but it was connected to the amp). I began playing some music and the channel imbalance was gone like it never happened.

I was relieved but really confused as well. Did any of you experienced this before?

Thinking deeply, my wild guess might be static build up on the right membrane but I don't know. It sounds far-fetched.

TL;DR: HE-500 had channel imbalance, magically self heals and everything went back to normal.
Sounds like an amp issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back