HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #16,021 of 20,374
is there any difference between single-ended and balanced? is it worth to buy a new cable with balanced jack?

Best to research this one yourself. Some swear it makes a difference, while others say May. The only topic more hotly contested then single ended versus balanced is MP3 320 versus FLAC.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #16,022 of 20,374
  is there any difference between single-ended and balanced? is it worth to buy a new cable with balanced jack?

In the case of NFB-10, balanced was audibly better for me. If you can handle a soldering iron (or you can find one to handle it for you), reterminating the existing cable to 4 pin xlr is not expensive at all.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #16,024 of 20,374
From Audio GD NFB 28 page:

Quote:
Different to the NFB-29:
The NFB-29 is a single ended DAC with headamp and preamp (+/- 30V DC high voltage power supply ), The NFB-28 is balance DAC with headamp and preamp (+/-15V DC power supply ).  So They had same output power specs can drive most headphone as well.
If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29 get better performance than the NFB-28.
If customer had the balance connector headphone or can modify the headphone with balance connector, choice the NFB-28.

In case with Audio GD, it seems, that they have some single ended models, where 6,3 is prime output, optimized on best performance. And balance line, where 6.3 used just for trial, before you reterminate your cans to 4 pin xlr cords

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #16,027 of 20,374
Apparently balanced has reduced noise floor and other perks, but if you do not want to reterminate your phones to balanced (all that you own), I would buy the NFB-29 out of those two, because every headphone worth its salt you pair NFB-28 with in the future will also need to be balanced or you will be gimping yourself. This may or may not be trivial depending on which headphone.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #16,030 of 20,374

The real answer is it depends on the balanced amp you're using it with.  Single-ended output from one amp can easily sound better than balanced output from another.  In general, an amp that has both single-ended and balanced outputs will often (but not always) sound "better" (or with more power) from the balanced outputs than the single ended outputs.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #16,031 of 20,374
The real answer is it depends on the balanced amp you're using it with.  Single-ended output from one amp can easily sound better than balanced output from another.  In general, an amp that has both single-ended and balanced outputs will often (but not always) sound "better" (or with more power) from the balanced outputs than the single ended outputs.

I have nfb-10.2. I think I shall go balanced

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #16,032 of 20,374
I know there's grill mods for HFM headphones, but has anyone tried putting some speaker cloth or pantyhose-like material in place of the grill?  I want the more open sound, but don't want to go through the trouble of cutting out my own grills and don't feel comfortable leaving it unprotected!

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #16,033 of 20,374
  I know there's grill mods for HFM headphones, but has anyone tried putting some speaker cloth or pantyhose-like material in place of the grill?  I want the more open sound, but don't want to go through the trouble of cutting out my own grills and don't feel comfortable leaving it unprotected!

I use the foam disks from Beyer pads they are a perfect fit for the outside section
Didn't like the sound naked it was a little screechy the foam disks seem to damp just enough and provide some protection
I also use Beyer pads with the foam disks on the inside so damping is balanced

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #16,034 of 20,374

Yes.  Check out the Grill Mod thread.  At least two people have written about it.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #16,035 of 20,374
Alright HE500ers, I need some input. I'm looking for a low to midrange SS amp to pair with my NOS DAC for these guys (already have a Pan Am for the tube goodness). 

My two options are the Magni 2 Uber and a secondhand Corda HA-2.

Anyone have real experience with either of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back