HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #14,701 of 20,374
Does anyone have any experience with non-Hifiman pads?
The HE-500 pads aren't very nice... and the Focus pads are a bit too small for me so I am looking toward other headphone earpads such as Fostex TH series, Audeze, Mad dog, etc.

also, cheaper options would be very nice as well
smily_headphones1.gif

i too have the same trouble, have been toying with various pad included old hm5 pad, denon, old type audeze lcd2 and new focus pad but most have some kind of flaw
recently bought new memory foam hm5 pad from mp4nation both velour and leather type, much bigger compare to focus pad and much better comfort, the sound is very very similar to  original pleather and velour from hifiman so ppl should give it a go, real cheap :D
i dont even have to trim off the plastic ring, just try your best to put it in and the pad will shaped around the ring, very secure fit :)
even have enough space to put the rubber spacer ring, but i found that sound is better without the rubber ring so i take em off :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #14,702 of 20,374
Very Nice Daerron...I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the V100.

I just completed a comparative listen to Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same" without and then with my Schiit Bifrost DAC feeding the G109S. The HE500/Lake People combo sounds terrific straight out of my NAD C542 CD player but definitely more expansive and detailed with the Bifrost.

I enjoyed this Zep CD (Mothership) so much that I just kept listening. I was able to get a very good sense of all of the minute details inside of the music. This disc demonstrates to me how good ones equipment is capable of sounding. Too bad all music isn't recorded this well. I never actually heard this much information while listening to these songs through my speaker systems all of these years.

I can never really tell if I'm listening to music too loudly but I just hope that I don't lose my hearing before I get much older :D

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #14,703 of 20,374
i too have the same trouble, have been toying with various pad included old hm5 pad, denon, old type audeze lcd2 and new focus pad but most have some kind of flaw
recently bought new memory foam hm5 pad from mp4nation both velour and leather type, much bigger compare to focus pad and much better comfort, the sound is very very similar to  original pleather and velour from hifiman so ppl should give it a go, real cheap :D
i dont even have to trim off the plastic ring, just try your best to put it in and the pad will shaped around the ring, very secure fit :)
even have enough space to put the rubber spacer ring, but i found that sound is better without the rubber ring so i take em off :)

If you look at Thurson's post above, he recommends the AKG pads which are around $30 for a set so much cheaper than the $60 or whatever the premium pads are charging.
I'm glad you found something that works for you :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #14,704 of 20,374
If you look at Thurson's post above, he recommends the AKG pads which are around $30 for a set so much cheaper than the $60 or whatever the premium pads are charging.
I'm glad you found something that works for you
smily_headphones1.gif

I did, and do, but being a pad junkie, I had to give those new HM5 pads a whirl.  Pity shipping takes so long.  At least it was free.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #14,705 of 20,374
I'm glad you found something that works for you :)

The new hm5 pad, known as memory foam pad, is only $11.5 each,so about $23 pair, i got them on special for $11.5/pair :)
Free shipping,took about 1week to arrive Australia

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #14,706 of 20,374
The new hm5 pad, known as memory foam pad, is only $11.5 each,so about $23 pair, i got them on special for $11.5/pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Free shipping,took about 1week to arrive Australia

Don't you know it's rude to brag about half-price specials from the past... I kid!  Nice score 
beerchug.gif
  And yeah, the price for a pair of each was definitely right.  I called them (yet another) b-day present 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #14,708 of 20,374
should be be expecting a extensive pad review any time soon??

Perhaps.  I've done a couple in the past, so I don't know about "extensive".  I'll certainly post some opinions about the memory foam HM5 pads on both the HFM cans I own.  In terms of time, don't hold your breath, as the pair of original HM5 pads I ordered took a couple weeks to arrive.  Maybe these will get here faster.  I'm really curious how they'll stack up against my DIY'd pads that are on my HE-500s and HE-560s.  For me, those are the best I have, both in terms of fit and sound.  But my mind and ears are open.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #14,709 of 20,374
  Can you be more precise? We are indeed talking about the internal cabling. In the middle of one of the internal wires there's a piece of heatshrink, likely with something other than 'just wire' inside.

HiFiman quote
"Dear Sir, It is a small annular tube which is used to protect our line. We don' t have special resistance ohms. The materials of the headphone provide the resistance."

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #14,713 of 20,374
Thanks. Got them yesterday and today I've grill modded them lol. Such a cheap and nice sounding mod. Cost me $8 and an hour of cutting and sanding. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #14,714 of 20,374
  Thanks. Got them yesterday and today I've grill modded them lol. Such a cheap and nice sounding mod. Cost me $8 and an hour of cutting and sanding. 

How's the B22?
It looks so big

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #14,715 of 20,374
It is interesting, not really sure about the pairing with the HE-500 though. The V200 seems to be a bit more bassy but this doesn't happen with the HD800, weird. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back