HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #14,087 of 20,374
  Ima ask this question in a thread that needs a bump and isn't as crowded as the HE-560 thread.

It seems to me that many of the planars varies quite a bit in impedance and even sensitivity/effectivity within the same model. Any ideas why that is so, at least the thing with impedance?

My HE-500 measures 27 and 38 ohms, 5LE measures 41 on both channels and 560 measures 50 on both. All of them out of spec, seen others that measured weird values too. Opinions?

I believe this question came up at some point and some formidable person responded. I forget the exact reasoning, but the conclusion was that most ortho drivers are matched using their actual sound performance, not resistance across the driver. Matching ortho drivers by resistance only would result in channel imbalance. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #14,088 of 20,374

I believe this question came up at some point and some formidable person responded. I forget the exact reasoning, but the conclusion was that most ortho drivers are matched using their actual sound performance, not resistance across the driver. Matching ortho drivers by resistance only would result in channel imbalance. 

I would match on sensitivity or even better, the SPL from a common amp at the exact same electrical level.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #14,089 of 20,374

Yeah, I read that about dynamic drivers, but I was having fun poking things with my DMM.  For example, my wife's resistance to me getting the HE-560s right now is off the charts!  Almost started a house fire trying to measure that 
wink.gif

Perhaps you can enroll her in one of those CIA brainwashing programs. I've considered doing that on more than one occasion but my wife was not enthusiastic.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #14,090 of 20,374
Anyway, HE-500 is more sensitive than HE-560, which is approx. as sensitive as my HE-5LE, perhaps even less. It seems Hifiman specs ain't too reliable

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #14,091 of 20,374
  Anyway, HE-500 is more sensitive than HE-560, which is approx. as sensitive as my HE-5LE, perhaps even less. It seems Hifiman specs ain't too reliable

Specwise for sensitivity/efficiency the HE-560 isn't that much different than the HE-500. 90dB at 35 Ohms vs. 89 dB at 38 Ohms. It would probably be hard to tell the difference, besides there are tolerances and they don't specify the percentage variation, so unit to unit it's a crapshoot.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #14,092 of 20,374
  I just bought an HE-500. I'm new to planar magnetic headphones. I feel a little silly piping music into them constantly for a week, trying not to form too much of an impression before the specified break-in time. First impressions are favorable nevertheless. I couldn't find an explanation handy—why do they need such a long break-in time? 

Ask yourself this question. Why do items that are allowed to "burn in" always sound better afterwards? Always. The answer is, it has nothing to do with burning in, but has to do with our ears adapting and growing accustomed to the sounds produced.  

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #14,093 of 20,374

I couldn't find an explanation handy—why do they need such a long break-in time? 

Ask yourself this question. Why do items that are allowed to "burn in" always sound better afterwards? Always. The answer is, it has nothing to do with burning in, but has to do with our ears adapting and growing accustomed to the sounds produced.  

I'm just going by the manual, which specifies playing music for 150 hours before proper performance ensues. It doesn't say to you have to listen during that period, which implies a reason other than psychological effect. The manual doesn't say much else which implies the pre-playing is as important as anything. Unfortunately it does not give an explanation.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #14,094 of 20,374

Specwise for sensitivity/efficiency the HE-560 isn't that much different than the HE-500. 90dB at 35 Ohms vs. 89 dB at 38 Ohms. It would probably be hard to tell the difference, besides there are tolerances and they don't specify the percentage variation, so unit to unit it's a crapshoot.

Regardless, the HE-560 is as insensitive as the 5LE (perhaps even more), at least 4 dB more insensitive (maybe more) than HE-500. That is a very significant difference.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #14,095 of 20,374
I looked a little closer and based on some discussion in the HE-560 thread this appears to be a classic issue without an authoritative explanation that stirs up strident debate over various conjectures. I suppose it wouldn't help to rephrase the question, "why does HiFiMan specify 150 hours of continuous use for optimum performance." I just figured since it was a manufacturer recommendation that there'd be a reasonably discrete explanation; definitely don't mean to stir up old Head-Fi hearsay in lieu of that.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #14,096 of 20,374
Hifiman have said that openly in the forums, yet they didn't really specify why, only that their planars needed said burn-in.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #14,099 of 20,374
I would guess that because so many people seem to erroneously believe that it improves the sound, they just go with the flow. Or maybe they too believe it. 

I dont think hifiman would do that..as they always were a bit different compared to the other brands...cant imagine they would do this just out of marketing..as their marketing is nowhere even close to the european or US based brands.... Am no technician..but can imagine the magnets inside the phones need some kind of break in time? Or usage? Or the pads need time to get to the desired form around ur head... And at last..the cables..some say copper cables need burnin time..other say its snake oil.... I believe that everything component thats new and has some kind of moving/transfering part needs some kind of burn in time or usage. Imho ofcourse. :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #14,100 of 20,374
I'd guess the biggest factor is the pads (besides what happens in your head).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back