HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #14,356 of 20,374
At a recent meet someone plugged their lcd3s into my Mjolnir and was pretty impressed, I think most people actually encourage the MJ for audeze and some dislike it for the hifimans, though I definitely love it with mine. You can check the thread here and read people's opinions on it. If it had a SE output I feel more people would give it a try, it's very reasonable price is offset by really needing a balanced DAC as well.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #14,357 of 20,374
  Sorting through all these discussions/debates about amps and I still have no idea what is supposed to be a good amp to the HE-500... 
biggrin.gif

I feel that my current setup sounds pretty spectacular with practically all of my phones. I was considering maybe getting another high powered amp for the HE-500, but honestly I don't know how much better it can sound, and if I did decide to get a new amp, I just don't know which amp to go with that would be a clear upgrade/ change from the existing one.

Given that my current amp is solid state (Corda Concerto), I was thinking of getting a tube amp - I never owned a proper tube amp. Maybe the Lyr 2. 

However, reading all of the debates, I'm rethinking this - I might just stay with my Concerto, it sounds wonderful with my DAC and my HE-500... I wish I knew someone with a Lyr so I can try it with the rest of my setup.

In my opinion, the Corda Concerto is properly as best as a SS amp can get before going into the "Diminishing ROI" territory. Beyond that you can spent 2 to 3 times of the money and may be getting another 10% of improvement. And the best thing of the Corda Concerto is its small physical footprint, which you can easily put it on your desktop in a CAS setup.

I have the Corda Classic (also bought used) and it drives my HE-500 wonderfully. And I once I have tried crossfeed, it is difficult to listen to music without this option.

Beyond the Corda Concerto, you can probably go down 2 different paths: a) a even more revealing balanced output SS amp like the Audio-gd Master 9 for opening up the sound stage and improving clarity of the HE-500, or (b) a powerful, low noise tube amp like the La Figaro 399 to drive the HE-500 more euphonically.

But both the Master 9 and La Figaro 339 are large in physical footprint.

Thus I will recommend you the Project Ember with the Super Charger option, a small little powerful amp with just a single tube to roll, auto bias setting, and quick to warm up. Perfect for 1st time tube amp user. This will be the tube amp I will buy (if I am going to buy one) to team with my Corda Classic.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #14,358 of 20,374
Your money is better spent on a new headphone or something IMO.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #14,359 of 20,374
I've hit the soft cap for my head-fi journey at the moment. I want to upgrade to an he-6 but may wait till it's true successor due to my current budget constraints(Turns out engagement rings are expensive). Now if I was able to trade my 500+cash for a 6 I probably would, but otherwise the 500s are staying in my stable for the perceived future.

FWIW as far as amping goes, and strictly talking about power, I feel like w should address the fact that almost all he-500s have measured higher than 38 impedence and lower than 89db sensitivity, add in that a lot of us are using pads that are thicker, angled, vented, or all of the above, which ALL will reduce the sensitivity, if the specs of amps can't always be trusted, neither can the specs of the he-500. I do not believe that power is the first thing to look for in an amp, but certainly there is a direct tangible interaction between cost, SQ, and power. Schiit makes good products that offer good min/maxing of the above. I heard the MJ and fell in love with it before I knew what it's power output was, but I will say it is certainly expected that for it's literal increase in size and price from the Asgard, even if their SQ is equal, the Mjolnir should be pushing more watts. I think that when you spend so much effort in designing a nice amp with high quality parts, it only makes sense to scale the design to what offers the optimum value,it just makes sense that as quality and price go up, so tends power output, and I think maybe that is why people conflate the two so easily.

You state my experiences as well.  In general as price goes up, depending on the amp of course, power goes up.  Many more powerful headamps are around today giving us a lot of options.  When I purchased my taboo, there were maybe half as many options in the 700-1500 range I was looking.  Eventually it ended up being a tossup between the v200 and the taboo and the taboo won because of its ability to power sensitive speakers.  Of course certain amps may be designed for 300-600 ohms so it might not get that kind of power into 38-50.

It's worth pointing out the freak of nature (by most peoples standards) in this argument about power which apparently sounds great with the HE-500.. The WA-22

Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2/645#post_8629243
 I cannot really understand how people can really be saying that the WA2 is underpowering the HE-500. The WA22 delivers a rated 1.5W in 30 ohms or something, and if there were a whole lot I was missing out with the WA2 - it would show in a direct comparison. I used the 5998 tubes in the WA22 to be sure I got the best of it, whilst I used some RCA 6080's in the WA2 to make my little comparison more universal. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #14,360 of 20,374
At a recent meet someone plugged their lcd3s into my Mjolnir and was pretty impressed, I think most people actually encourage the MJ for audeze and some dislike it for the hifimans, though I definitely love it with mine. You can check the thread here and read people's opinions on it. If it had a SE output I feel more people would give it a try, it's very reasonable price is offset by really needing a balanced DAC as well.

Mjolnir and Audezes are indeed a super sweet pairing. I was tempted to sell my HE-500 in lieu of some Audeze with that Schiit, but I think Audeze's are overpriced for their performance. Hifiman and Mjolnir is unfortunately not such a sweet pairing. I think you can use a SE DAC with the Mjolnir?

Your money is better spent on a new headphone or something IMO.

Yup, definitely this. Spent a lot of time playing with higher end amplifiers and found the emotiva easily beats "headphone" amplifiers. Save your $$$ and drop it on something else.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #14,361 of 20,374
Of my two OTL amps the LaFigaro 332s does not get along with the HE500 , it does not appear to be a power issue in that there is no clipping at high volume and the bass is strong and clean . Midrange presentation is really awful muffled and very distant
My other OTL amp an enthusiast built special similar to a BottleHead Crack does exhibit lack of power symptoms with the HE500 at high volume
Fitted with a 6as7g or 6080wa tube it clips badly when pushed however substitute a 5998 , 2399 or 421a and all is well no clipping and good clean sound
I wonder if there is some kind of magic synergy between the HE500 and the Tung-Sol 5998 family

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #14,362 of 20,374
Thanks for that. To be honest I'm not really looking primarily at the price tag as an indicator of performance when comparing amps, so I didn't even consider that the Lyr is "lesser" than the Concerto. I think the Concerto used to go for around 700$ when it was in production but I got mine 2nd hand for much less. I was looking at the Lyr because of the power specs, and because it seems to be hailed as an excellent choice for planars.

I can afford an amp in the 1,000 - 1,500 $ range (but I wouldn't really want to spend more than that), but it's a risk without having a chance to listen to these before I buy. Amps around 500$ are easier for me to "buy to try", as these are easier to sell if I decide to. But if there is one amp which is unanimously hailed as the best choice for planars, I might consider.

I definitely had my eyes on an LCD-3 for a while, so I would like an amp that works well with both. But at the moment I'm happy enough with the HE-500 that I'm not in a hurry to buy an LCD-3 just yet...
good that u say that about the lcd3.. I listened to them through the 337 i had..and both the lcd 2.2 and the lcd3 didn't sound to well on the 337, it was a but to muffled..didnt like it.. (even with the vintage very cold sounding svetlana tubes i had back then) ...but they sounded well from the lyr (1)..in which the owner had globes something (dont know exactly which ones) premium tubes in it... So in my opinion..if u at a certain point wanna get a lcd3 and not upgrade ur amp then...then the lyr could be ur best bet in that pricerange..

but for the he500... No doubt..i liked it better then the lyr.... All imho ofcourse... :wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #14,364 of 20,374
Of my two OTL amps the LaFigaro 332s does not get along with the HE500 , it does not appear to be a power issue in that there is no clipping at high volume and the bass is strong and clean . Midrange presentation is really awful muffled and very distant
My other OTL amp an enthusiast built special similar to a BottleHead Crack does exhibit lack of power symptoms with the HE500 at high volume
Fitted with a 6as7g or 6080wa tube it clips badly when pushed however substitute a 5998 , 2399 or 421a and all is well no clipping and good clean sound
I wonder if there is some kind of magic synergy between the HE500 and the Tung-Sol 5998 family

The 332 is a totally different designed amp then its bigger sister the 339 or the darkvoice 337.. In the past that has been explained a few times already...u cant compare them in any way in how they drive planars...
As far i understand the tubes u mentioned actually increases the poweroutput...about 2procent some said..as they are high gain tubes..am not technnical...but thats what they said...andi agree..in my 337 i had 5998 as powertubes and sj7gt mesh plates as driver tubes..both from tung sols...loved it with the he500..u can see them clearly on my pics :wink:
Look at this pic and u will see why u cant compare both amps..hint..the 2 huge bulps on top with its own dedicated power supply delivery...two powercords helps in this matter..lolz

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #14,365 of 20,374
Never made any comparison between 332 and 339 I know they are different I own one
Just thought it was interesting that one OTL amp is not good and the other also OTL is good
When OTL is often mentioned as something to avoid with the HE500
Since the only other OTL amp recommended is the 339/337 it would seem OTL is ok as long as you run 5998 tubes

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #14,366 of 20,374
Mjolnir and Audezes are indeed a super sweet pairing. I was tempted to sell my HE-500 in lieu of some Audeze with that Schiit, but I think Audeze's are overpriced for their performance. Hifiman and Mjolnir is unfortunately not such a sweet pairing. I think you can use a SE DAC with the Mjolnir?

Yup, definitely this. Spent a lot of time playing with higher end amplifiers and found the emotiva easily beats "headphone" amplifiers. Save your $$$ and drop it on something else.

Using a single ended DAC with the MJ is possible, just not recommended. As for it's pairing with the he-500, I think you need a DAC like the audio-gd, a brighter DAC would likely not pair as well.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #14,367 of 20,374
Never made any comparison between 332 and 339 I know they are different I own one
Just thought it was interesting that one OTL amp is not good and the other also OTL is good
When OTL is often mentioned as something to avoid with the HE500
Since the only other OTL amp recommended is the 339/337 it would seem OTL is ok as long as you run 5998 tubes

I dont think its only about the tubes..i used my 337 when i still had the svetlana tubes in it with the he500..and it drove it well...(but only with the 5998 the sound became really addictive)..more powerful..I think its more about the reserves an amp has...an OTL amp is wellknown not to be at its best to provide current into low ohms...but somehow the builders of the 337/339 found a way..although the amp got huge and heavy because of that..But i guess that was only way.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #14,368 of 20,374
Yes 337/339 blah blah the point I am attempting to make is I have an OTL amp that works well with the HE500 and the only similarity to the 337/339 is the 5998 tube and it has only one

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #14,369 of 20,374
Yes 337/339 blah blah the point I am attempting to make is I have an OTL amp that works well with the HE500 and the only similarity to the 337/339 is the 5998 tube and it has only one

Good for u..sorry if i didnt understand the point u were making :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back