HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #19,636 of 20,374
The easiest replacement would probably be an Audeze headband+gimbal kit.
I had another look at this solution. After a bit of searching, I did manage to find a shop with the needed in the EU that would ship to Finland. After duty fees (the store in question being in the UK), I'd probably be looking at ~200€ for the parts (steel headband, extended yokes). I could only find the headband available from the few Finnish online stores that had Audeze stuff on offer. The HiFiMAN part would probably 50% of that, but if there's even the slightest chance that the Audeze setup will make for a more comfortable wear, I really don't mind that. Nicer aesthetics and better build quality are just a plus on top of that. I'll probably check with a local audio goods store if they're able to source the parts and do the work before pulling the trigger on anything, though.

Having seen now several more people's mods of HE-500/HE-6 with the Audeze headband, I was wondering - what role do those spacer(?) bits connecting to the cans play on your pair? Do you need those for a good fit? And also, if I may pry - did you go with the extended yoke rods or the regular ones? I figure I'd want the extended ones just in case, even if they aren't 'required' to make them work.

zip ties + duct tape and you're back in the game, mine's broken in the exact same way and 3 screws are stripped so no chance of rolling headband sadly

Glue did the trick when it was still hanging on by a thread, but now that it's come off completely, it doesn't really take. The screws still stuck in the headband just feel like torture when I try to bandage it. I could probably remove them, but I think I'd have to cut through the headband to get to them.

Edit: completely missed the fact that the headband assembly doesn't include the yokes themselves, so I was a component (Audeze Universal Yoke Replacement Kit) short in my estimate :confounded: Seems that's the tricky part - just as you said.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #19,637 of 20,374
I switched the stock 500 with a 4XX headband which is a solid step up in comfort/weight/fit. The 4XX has the 500 headband now, and being lighter overall that fit is decent/good - too bad it still sounds like a 4XX.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #19,638 of 20,374
I'm debating trading my HE-5 on. They're neat, but too flawed to be seriously used in their stock form. I feel like they'd be a prime candidate for modding.

Wonder if I could get an LCD-2 Aluminum. I kinda want that headphone just because it looks cool. Hah.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #19,639 of 20,374
Diving into this thread again, I somehow regret that I sold them twice....but the grass is always greener on the other side.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #19,640 of 20,374
I found out something interesting about the HE-500 tonight before I was going to do a headband mod.

So, you know how the rings that hold the pads in place are different on the HE-500, HE-6, etc, than the newer Hifimans? Since there are no notches for each of the 4 clips on the pads, it can rotate freely. Well, I discovered by having two HE-500s on hand, one modded and the other stock unmodded, that the stock one sounded noticeably different with the same exact pads. Using the Focus A pads on both. At first I thought it was clamp force, but turns out it is the pad ring, because I was using the newer thinner metal ones for my modded HE-500. I even swapped the old rings onto my modded set and they sounded exactly the same as the stock HE-500 with the Focus Pads. I definitely prefer the old plastic pad ring over the new metal one. In direct comparison, at least with Focus A pads, the metal ring HE-500 sounded a little stuffy and claustrophobic. This leads me to believe that the HE-500 driver does not perform as well with too much seal on the pads, like there was something about the way the old ring was designed to allow more air to go through. Everything just sounds tighter and better controlled to me.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #19,641 of 20,374
20210327_174731.jpg20210327_175042.jpg20210327_174813.jpg

I may sound crazy but I found out there is also a 4 screw and a 6 screw HE500. The pictures show the differences from a 2013 and a 2016 version. I cant and wont compare the sound cause I am here to enjoy these and not nitpick differences ✌

Mine are 4 screw on one side and six on the other side lol.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #19,642 of 20,374
I found out something interesting about the HE-500 tonight before I was going to do a headband mod.

So, you know how the rings that hold the pads in place are different on the HE-500, HE-6, etc, than the newer Hifimans? Since there are no notches for each of the 4 clips on the pads, it can rotate freely. Well, I discovered by having two HE-500s on hand, one modded and the other stock unmodded, that the stock one sounded noticeably different with the same exact pads. Using the Focus A pads on both. At first I thought it was clamp force, but turns out it is the pad ring, because I was using the newer thinner metal ones for my modded HE-500. I even swapped the old rings onto my modded set and they sounded exactly the same as the stock HE-500 with the Focus Pads. I definitely prefer the old plastic pad ring over the new metal one. In direct comparison, at least with Focus A pads, the metal ring HE-500 sounded a little stuffy and claustrophobic. This leads me to believe that the HE-500 driver does not perform as well with too much seal on the pads, like there was something about the way the old ring was designed to allow more air to go through. Everything just sounds tighter and better controlled to me.
Are you talking about the Aluminum Trim Ring?

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #19,643 of 20,374
Are you talking about the Aluminum Trim Ring?
Yeah those are it. And I’ve also found out the old HE-500 cups are ever so slightly taller length-wise so accommodate the thicker drivers compared to the 560. I’m willing to bet the extra space affects the sound in some way too.

Has anyone here compared any full size Audeze headphones to the HE-500? The LCD-2, 3, 4, etc? I just want to know if there’s any benefit the Audezes have over the 500, specifically in terms of speed and dynamics, “punch and slam”. I regularly use EQ with all my headphones, so I wouldn’t mind EQing an Audeze to fix the upper mids/ lower treble recession everyone talks about.

Also I finally found and installed an Audeze headband and yokes on my HE-500, comfort is greatly improved. I found the perfect size screws and washers for the project, I’ll post pictures sometime this week.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #19,644 of 20,374
Yeah those are it. And I’ve also found out the old HE-500 cups are ever so slightly taller length-wise so accommodate the thicker drivers compared to the 560. I’m willing to bet the extra space affects the sound in some way too.

Has anyone here compared any full size Audeze headphones to the HE-500? The LCD-2, 3, 4, etc? I just want to know if there’s any benefit the Audezes have over the 500, specifically in terms of speed and dynamics, “punch and slam”. I regularly use EQ with all my headphones, so I wouldn’t mind EQing an Audeze to fix the upper mids/ lower treble recession everyone talks about.

Also I finally found and installed an Audeze headband and yokes on my HE-500, comfort is greatly improved. I found the perfect size screws and washers for the project, I’ll post pictures sometime this week.

I've previously owned the LCD-2C and currently own the LCD-3. The 2C is at least a tier below the HE-500, so I won't compare that, but the LCD-3 is starting to get close to the HE-500. The entire bass range on the LCD-3 feels like a step down from the HE-500: it doesn't have as much impact, and it doesn't extend quite as low. The bass isn't dramatically worse, but especially side-by-side it noticeably comes up short. Thankfully, from the mid range up the two headphones trade blows, and a legitimate case could be made for either to be more enjoyable. The LCD-3 has a bit of a drop in the upper mids through the low treble, which gives it a sweet, mellow sound, which serves as a nice compliment to the HE-500. I could see someone thinking the HE-500 sound dull or flat by comparison (and maybe even myself it I spent a good amount of time on the LCD-3 then immediately switched to the HE-500). About mid way through the treble region it starts to come back into line with other headphones, giving it a good amount of detail, and opening up the soundstage a bit. They're still not as detailed or open as the HE-500, but I think that's a fair tradeoff for the smoothness they offer.

The LCD-3 might be worth owning alongside the HE-500, but personally I wouldn't EQ out that low treble recession. Then again, I'm a bit of a purist!

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #19,645 of 20,374
I've previously owned the LCD-2C and currently own the LCD-3. The 2C is at least a tier below the HE-500, so I won't compare that, but the LCD-3 is starting to get close to the HE-500. The entire bass range on the LCD-3 feels like a step down from the HE-500: it doesn't have as much impact, and it doesn't extend quite as low. The bass isn't dramatically worse, but especially side-by-side it noticeably comes up short. Thankfully, from the mid range up the two headphones trade blows, and a legitimate case could be made for either to be more enjoyable. The LCD-3 has a bit of a drop in the upper mids through the low treble, which gives it a sweet, mellow sound, which serves as a nice compliment to the HE-500. I could see someone thinking the HE-500 sound dull or flat by comparison (and maybe even myself it I spent a good amount of time on the LCD-3 then immediately switched to the HE-500). About mid way through the treble region it starts to come back into line with other headphones, giving it a good amount of detail, and opening up the soundstage a bit. They're still not as detailed or open as the HE-500, but I think that's a fair tradeoff for the smoothness they offer.

The LCD-3 might be worth owning alongside the HE-500, but personally I wouldn't EQ out that low treble recession. Then again, I'm a bit of a purist!
Great, thanks for the comparison!
Yeah I’m just going to stick with the HE-500 for now, which was my gut feeling anyway. I think the only Audezes that could possibly be a noticeable upgrade would be the LCD-4 or 4z, but those are super expensive. I bet the 500 gets you 90% the way there for a quarter of the price.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #19,646 of 20,374
The HE-500 is a tough act to follow! The only headphone I thought was a general upgrade to them was the Abyss AB-1266, but even that headphone wasn't perfect.

I'd be curious to see how the LCD-4 compares, though.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #19,647 of 20,374
The HE-500 is a tough act to follow! The only headphone I thought was a general upgrade to them was the Abyss AB-1266, but even that headphone wasn't perfect.

The thing that shines on the HE-500 is not really technicalities. I feel it is more on its overall presentation. Using my own terms, it's got character. That sweet mids, that timbre, that staging, that weight behind its sound, that low bass. As a package, it is just lovable.

Take Arya for example. It is clearer, faster, more detailed, better separation, but it just doesn't pull me into the music.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #19,648 of 20,374

The problem with Abyss is that they can't tune a damn if their life depends on it. The mids on the phi was sadly disappointing for a $5k headphone? How about pricing it decently instead of pricing it ridiculously it high with such disappointing sound? It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth of summit Fi.

I'm sick of the overpriced summit Fi garbage.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #19,649 of 20,374
The problem with Abyss is that they can't tune a damn if their life depends on it. The mids on the phi was sadly disappointing for a $5k headphone? How about pricing it decently instead of pricing it ridiculously it high with such disappointing sound? It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth of summit Fi.

I'm sick of the overpriced summit Fi garbage.

I couldn't speak to the Phi, or even newer models, since the one I owned was an older model. I felt the mids were pretty good on mine, but wasn't thrilled with some of the treble frequencies. And of course the comfort was the biggest issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back