1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN HE-500 Ergonomic Mod

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by suigeneris, Mar 18, 2016.
  1. Suigeneris
    Been a while since I've been on this site, just wanted to share a mod I came up with for
    my favorite headphones, the HE-500. Long story short, the fragile headband fell apart after a
    couple years of use. I looked at the new line of HIFIMAN headphones and took the opportunity
    to do this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alternate: Headband, Pads, Cable, Sanitary Headphone Covers

Comfort is excellent, feels lighter and the headphone covers keep the pads from getting
    hot after hours of wearing them. Also looks a lot better than the standard cheap looking headband.

Thanks for looking!

RocksteadyNYC likes this.
  2. RocksteadyNYC
    I was wondering if this was possible. How did you attach the cups to the new frame?

3. Suigeneris
    I tried to unscrew the old frame but the screws were stripped on both sides of the cups. I took out the drivers from the cups
    and literally drilled a hole through the screw and cup to take out the old frame. After that I put the drivers back in the cups and the 
    new frame fit like a glove in the holes I drilled. If you can unscrew your old frame you'll have a much easier time, if not just know
    that I was able to get it done this way with help from someone holding the cups in place.

Note that the new frame is not screwed in, it is being held by clamp pressure on both sides of the two cups
    (it is a very firm grip and wont fall out). Despite all the work it was worth it! These headphones are MUCH
    more comfortable now.

If you have any questions let me know!

4. RocksteadyNYC
    Thanks a lot. Im going to be doing this as soon as i get some spare cash. did you butcher a pair of 560s or did you order the part from hifiman? how much did it cost?

5. Suigeneris
    I ordered the frame directly from hifiman through email. It was $50 flat, includes the shipping and they take care of the paypal fee.

6. RocksteadyNYC
    thanks a bunch. you have been truly helpful.