Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #14,312 of 14,386
I have to agree that the 2020 version of the HE-400i indeed is very impressive for only $169.
Our full review with comparisons to the original HE-400i and the Sundara, is now online for your reading pleasure.

Aren't there three versions of the 400i? The original version had a backplate and sounded quite different from its successor, and now there is the 2020 version, Which "original" 400i did you compare to the newest one?

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #14,313 of 14,386
I have to agree that the 2020 version of the HE-400i indeed is very impressive for only $169.
Our full review with comparisons to the original HE-400i and the Sundara, is now online for your reading pleasure.
try them with thick angled leather pads, you will be surprised how much the stock pads are holding them back in bass and soundstage department

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #14,314 of 14,386
Aren't there three versions of the 400i? The original version had a backplate and sounded quite different from its successor, and now there is the 2020 version, Which "original" 400i did you compare to the newest one?
FWIW based on what I see in the pictures (there is one under 'Sound-Conclusion' that we can see clearly) that the 2020 version has the bar magnets visible from the outside, so it looks like the 2020 is the non-backplate version. The version that they originally reviewed was prior to the revisions so if they have the same pair, it should be the backplate version.

While there are slight differences, there is not a world of difference IMO, they are very similar. I would take the backplate version though, given the choice.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #14,315 of 14,386
Hifiman has well and truly outdone themselves with the new HE400i...in fact so much so that I’ve sold off my Sundara.
Now I love the Sundara - don’t get me wrong - but the little cheapskate HE400i is the more refined version of the signature. Let’s face it, outside of the Deva, all new Hifimans are tuned the same..with small to minute differences.
Where the Sundara can come off a little bright at times, not as bright as the Arya though, the HE400i sounds smooth and about as natural as you’re going to get of a sound via a planar magnetic headphone.
The comfort is also superb and while not as insanely comfortable as the DEXX, it’s still close. Soundwise though it has the DEXX beat, hands down. The DEXX is an aggressive bugger whereas the HE400i is smooth and does not make minced meat out of less than stellar recordings.
For the price it is seriously hard to beat. This is without a doubt a new benchmark for planars imho and should please folks who find the Sundara and Arya too bright..and to those who, like me, feel the DEXX is a little too peaky in it’s presentation.

Edith: If you already know what most modern Hifimans sound like (Sundara, Amanda, Arya) you will almost immediately recognise the signature. The new HE400i is like a slightly bassier and warmer take on the Sundara. The upper-mids and low treble are wonderfully tuned and incidentally also the part of the presentation where it beats all of it’s pricier brethren.
Comes with a bit of zing up top but nowhere near alarming quantities. I rather dig it myself:)

The 400i (2nd version) was the first can that hooked me into HiFi sound. I had many headphones before but was hooked on the speed and transients of that planar sound.

I modded mine with some ZMF Eikon pads and never looked back. That added some nice low end thump and pulled the mids back a tad which increased soundstage. Are these "new" 400i's just the older ones with leather pads or is there a tuning change?

Same question, are these new 400i's tuned different or are they just outfitted with leather pads?

Yeah this little coconut kicks some serious rump!
I am so surprised by this thing that when I saw it’s brother over Alis Libresse for next to nothing...well I just couldn’t help myself:)
In short, I’m currently waiting for the Orient Express to deliver the brandspanking new HE400se...which I am hoping comes with a similar linear frequency response as it’s older iteration....aaaaand I wouldn’t mind if they’ve done something to the bass extension which was rather poor before one swapped for some pali-pads...that again messed somewhat with the mids.
This should be interesting methinks:)
1605795995842.jpeg
Edith: Yep I’m blind! Those are indeed hybrid pads just like the palis and should most likely provide me with deliciously deep bass. Odd that I didn’t pick up on that..I guess I was too mesmerised with the cheap price tag:p

Are the 400i SE and 400i 2020 (which I think was referenced above) the same can or are there 2 new versions?

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #14,316 of 14,386
The new HE400i 2020 is a different sounding 400 from Hifiman - a better one imho. The bass is better extended and the whole transition from mids to treble is elegant. It still has a little sparkle up top but nothing like the OG.

There is also a new HE400s merely called the HE400se. Haven’t heard it yet but assume it’s in the same ballpark as the old, perhaps refined like new i version..because the new HE400i is definitely a step up from the older versions.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #14,317 of 14,386
Hifiman has well and truly outdone themselves with the new HE400i...in fact so much so that I’ve sold off my Sundara.
Now I love the Sundara - don’t get me wrong - but the little cheapskate HE400i is the more refined version of the signature. Let’s face it, outside of the Deva, all new Hifimans are tuned the same..with small to minute differences.
Where the Sundara can come off a little bright at times, not as bright as the Arya though, the HE400i sounds smooth and about as natural as you’re going to get of a sound via a planar magnetic headphone.
The comfort is also superb and while not as insanely comfortable as the DEXX, it’s still close. Soundwise though it has the DEXX beat, hands down. The DEXX is an aggressive bugger whereas the HE400i is smooth and does not make minced meat out of less than stellar recordings.
For the price it is seriously hard to beat. This is without a doubt a new benchmark for planars imho and should please folks who find the Sundara and Arya too bright..and to those who, like me, feel the DEXX is a little too peaky in it’s presentation.
4935D6C2-A541-4678-8F00-7E114D0720E0.jpeg

Edith: If you already know what most modern Hifimans sound like (Sundara, Amanda, Arya) you will almost immediately recognise the signature. The new HE400i is like a slightly bassier and warmer take on the Sundara. The upper-mids and low treble are wonderfully tuned and incidentally also the part of the presentation where it beats all of it’s pricier brethren.
Comes with a bit of zing up top but nowhere near alarming quantities. I rather dig it myself:)

Same here :wink: I sold my Sundaras some time ago..but this one is a keeper.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #14,319 of 14,386
4935D6C2-A541-4678-8F00-7E114D0720E0.jpeg

This is great to here as I'm interested in the HE400i vs Sundara...

I have an iFi ZEN DAC and I mainly listen to metal music. The HE400i 2020 is about 120 Euros cheaper to me which is very tempting!

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #14,320 of 14,386
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #14,321 of 14,386
I have an iFi ZEN DAC and I mainly listen to metal music. The HE400i 2020 is about 120 Euros cheaper to me which is very tempting!

How's your ZEN DAC doing if I may ask? Anything in particular you like about its pairing with oyur cans?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #14,324 of 14,386
Hey guys, sb using chrd mojo with hifiman he-400i 2020 and could help me with eq? This is my currently eqalization.
I mostly listening to acoustic, smoth jazz, rock, sometimes electronic. I've tested oratory eq but its not in my type at all. This is only slightly differences in a sound. Could someone test that on his own with mojo or similar dac?
32hz - +2.25dB
62hz - +1.2dB
125hz - -0.7dB
250hz - -1.2dB
1khz - +1dB
2khz - +2dB
4khz - +1.5dB
8khz - -3dB
16khz - +1.2dB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-144331_Neutron_Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-144331_Neutron_Player.jpg