Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 4, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #14,266 of 14,386
I'm looking for a balanced (2.5mm) cable for the current (3.5mm) model. All I can seem to find on Amazon are these NewFantasia cables which seem to have a somewhat spotty reputation. On eBay I found these, which seem a) pricey and b) completely no-name. Not sure where to go for these... Any pointers? https://ebay.us/qHCN1c
+1 on the functionality of the Forza cables, I have them for my 400i (SMC connector), my Elear, and Oppo PM-3. Beautiful, flexible, basically nonexistent microphonics.

May 4, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #14,267 of 14,386
Two suggestions for you, although both companies are based in Europe. I have purchased cables from Custom Cans myself and Forza gets recommendations here on Head-Fi:

https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/2-5mm-balanced-cable.html
https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=105

Otherwise, try searching for Oppo PM1, PM2, Sennheiser HD700 or Audioquest NightHawk cables, which all take the same 2.5mm headphone connectors.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, that is certainly a right direction.
Are there no cable companies like that in the US?

Oh and I need a 3.5mm headphone connector since I have the latest version of the HE-400i. So I guess I should search for... Oppo PM-3?

May 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #14,268 of 14,386

Oh and I need a 3.5mm headphone connector since I have the latest version of the HE-400i. So I guess I should search for... Oppo PM-3?
not the PM-3, it has only one side connector. I think the HD700, Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 have the same as your Hifiman.

May 4, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #14,269 of 14,386

not the PM-3, it has only one side connector. I think the HD700, Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 have the same as your Hifiman.

Correct, the PM3 only has one connector, whereas the PM1 PM2 have dual 2.5mm mono connectors.

May 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #14,270 of 14,386

There is Moon Audio, based in Cary NC, who also have many recommendations here and in the Hi-Fi press. Their cables start at a higher price point though and then you begin your journey down the rabbit hole.... :)

May 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #14,271 of 14,386
I'm looking for a balanced (2.5mm) cable for the current (3.5mm) model. All I can seem to find on Amazon are these NewFantasia cables which seem to have a somewhat spotty reputation. On eBay I found these, which seem a) pricey and b) completely no-name. Not sure where to go for these... Any pointers?

After almost giving up trying to find 2.5mm TRRS to 2 x 2.5mm TS cables to connect my ES100 to my HE400i and other headphones, I had a custom "V" cable made by fasterball which cost me less than just about any of the dodgy-looking cables I could find.

May 4, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #14,272 of 14,386
if the amp cant deliver the power the headphones need EQ is never gonna make them sound right, forcing a bit more quantity out of them w/ EQ is likely to sacrafice more quality in the process aswell, might be something to consider depending on your setup.
From calculations, the q5s is enough power. Anyway just have to be patient and wait for my atom amp to come in after confinement is lifted.

May 4, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #14,273 of 14,386

Hart audio cables maybe. Love the functionality. Don't have them yet but has the 2.5mm cans connector and interchangeable plugs (xlr, 4..4, 1/4) and can be made in custom colors

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #14,274 of 14,386
hello. anyone would have a simple corrective 10-band eq for the 400i to correct it? i plan to use on the fiio q5s app.
i find the sound lacking in bass and muffled voices.
I normally eq through sonarworks (brilliant for me) but i want to more or less match it on my phone...
Sorry I'm late to the party. I used the Harman curve as a target on the FOOBAR EQ gadget. That has way more than 10 bands, so I'll simplify. Gradually raise the level of the bass from 160HZ (+1 dB) to a max of +8 dB at 40 Hz. Keep flat (0 dB) from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, then ramp up to +4 dB at 2000 Hz, down to -2 Hz at 3150 Hz, back to 0 dB from 4000 to 6300 Hz, ramp down to -7 dB at 10000Hz, back to 0 dB at 12500 Hz, then ramp down to -6dB or so at 20000 Hz. This theoretically matches the Harman curve. But I usually use a simplified curve: +5dB at 31.5 HZ, less below that, and ramp down to -4dB at 200 Hz. Then ramp up to 0 dB at 1250 Hz, keeping it flat out to 20000 Hz. Hopefully one of these helps you out!

MG-bert

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #14,275 of 14,386
That is quite a significant amount of boosting in the low frequencies. I wonder if that amount of boosting doesn't cause unintended consequences elsewhere? I have always figured that if a design does not reproduce the frequencies that means it is due to technical design decisions such as mechanical dampening and when we push through these design decisions we are now moving the mechanism away from it's operating tolerances. With modest boosting or cutting the effects should be quite minimal, but hopefully audible for the intended effect.

How do you make sure that the signal isn't clipping? I assume FOOBAR has automatic clipping protection similar to JRiver.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #14,276 of 14,386
After 4 months I still think that these are precious and have enough bass for me. Makes me wonder when people talk about more "detailed" headphones because I barely can comprehend all those details 400i gives me. Something like 12 armatures will fry my brain most likely.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #14,277 of 14,386
DEVA driver?

7rrg6sjumj151.jpg

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #14,278 of 14,386
Sorry I'm late to the party. I used the Harman curve as a target on the FOOBAR EQ gadget. That has way more than 10 bands, so I'll simplify. Gradually raise the level of the bass from 160HZ (+1 dB) to a max of +8 dB at 40 Hz. Keep flat (0 dB) from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, then ramp up to +4 dB at 2000 Hz, down to -2 Hz at 3150 Hz, back to 0 dB from 4000 to 6300 Hz, ramp down to -7 dB at 10000Hz, back to 0 dB at 12500 Hz, then ramp down to -6dB or so at 20000 Hz. This theoretically matches the Harman curve. But I usually use a simplified curve: +5dB at 31.5 HZ, less below that, and ramp down to -4dB at 200 Hz. Then ramp up to 0 dB at 1250 Hz, keeping it flat out to 20000 Hz. Hopefully one of these helps you out!

MG-bert
That is quite a significant amount of boosting in the low frequencies. I wonder if that amount of boosting doesn't cause unintended consequences elsewhere? I have always figured that if a design does not reproduce the frequencies that means it is due to technical design decisions such as mechanical dampening and when we push through these design decisions we are now moving the mechanism away from it's operating tolerances. With modest boosting or cutting the effects should be quite minimal, but hopefully audible for the intended effect.

How do you make sure that the signal isn't clipping? I assume FOOBAR has automatic clipping protection similar to JRiver.
All good questions and points. Last first - FOOBAR has a level trim that automatically reduces the overall level by the maximum boost in any of the 31 frequencies being altered, so no clipping. At your risk, you can play with that level of cut, which I do, but I keep it so the peak levels are at least -1 or -2 dB from clipping.

I don't listen to EDM, so the most happening below 60 Hz is mostly ambient sonic cues. The first curve came from taking the Inner Fidelity non-adjusted frequency response curve, overlaying the Harmon "Ideal response" curve, and adjusting each frequency so the 400i curve "matches" the Harmon curve exactly. You're right - some frequencies won't just play ball due to resonances and other technical issues, but I guess that I should have stated that this was a theoretical curve. The fact is, I tend toward the second simplified curve anyway, which means that the "theoretical" curve is lacking in some way.

The second curve reflects the fact that, at least with my rig, the upper frequencies sound quite balanced to my ear. I purposefully scallop out the higher bass frequencies to accent fundamentals - and if a recording is rich with those, then the levels under 100 Hz get reduced. Season to taste.

Thanks for giving me the excuse to flesh out my original post with what I should have said originally!

MG-bert

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #14,279 of 14,386
All good questions and points. Last first - FOOBAR has a level trim that automatically reduces the overall level by the maximum boost in any of the 31 frequencies being altered, so no clipping. At your risk, you can play with that level of cut, which I do, but I keep it so the peak levels are at least -1 or -2 dB from clipping.

I don't listen to EDM, so the most happening below 60 Hz is mostly ambient sonic cues. The first curve came from taking the Inner Fidelity non-adjusted frequency response curve, overlaying the Harmon "Ideal response" curve, and adjusting each frequency so the 400i curve "matches" the Harmon curve exactly. You're right - some frequencies won't just play ball due to resonances and other technical issues, but I guess that I should have stated that this was a theoretical curve. The fact is, I tend toward the second simplified curve anyway, which means that the "theoretical" curve is lacking in some way.

The second curve reflects the fact that, at least with my rig, the upper frequencies sound quite balanced to my ear. I purposefully scallop out the higher bass frequencies to accent fundamentals - and if a recording is rich with those, then the levels under 100 Hz get reduced. Season to taste.

Thanks for giving me the excuse to flesh out my original post with what I should have said originally!

MG-bert
Great follow-up information, certainly suggests that you know how to go about tailoring your sound. Have you considered getting a parametric equalizer plugin? That way you can also adjust the spread of your frequency attenuations. Cheers.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #14,280 of 14,386
Makes me wonder when people talk about more "detailed" headphones because I barely can comprehend all those details 400i gives me. Something like 12 armatures will fry my brain most likely.
When I first listened to the HE-400i, I thought they had great detail retrieval, but couldn't distinguish some instruments on busy tracks. They were better than my Fostex T50RP MK3 at the time and I felt were above my other gear (Shure SE535, Westone UM Pro 10, even the Sennheiser HD650).

But going to the HE-500, there was better separation of instruments and a larger sound stage that I could distinguish them even better. In that sense, they are "more detailed". At least that's how I would describe it. The HE-400i are about on par in detail retrieval as my Audeze Sine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back