Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #14,148 of 14,386
He designed a power DAC, sort of like a Mojo to drive the HE400i (first version) and now it seems he did a version 2 which seems to be much more versatile. I have an example of his version one and its quite impressive, even able to drive my HE560.
Here are a few pictures of what the version 1 looks like:
EIDA-PowerDAC-1.jpg EIDA-PowerDAC-2.jpg EIDA-PowerDAC-3.jpg
Hope this gives a better idea of what @E1DA is building

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #14,149 of 14,386
He designed a power DAC, sort of like a Mojo to drive the HE400i (first version) and now it seems he did a version 2 which seems to be much more versatile. I have an example of his version one and its quite impressive, even able to drive my HE560.
Here are a few pictures of what the version 1 looks like:

Hope this gives a better idea of what @E1DA is building
I'll demo one if he's looking for someone to review them!

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #14,150 of 14,386
I'll demo one if he's looking for someone to review them!
It took a bit of work to use it since it only runs in balanced mode and you will have to solder wires / jack to it. I used a mini-XLR 4 pin so I could try out different headphones I have but they all have SMC jacks on them so it was a bit easier for me. A friend has it right now and has been using it for the past few months to drive her HE400i (old SMC version like mine) but when I get it back do you want to try it out if I get the okay from @E1DA to let others try it? Just pay for shipping.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #14,151 of 14,386
It took a bit of work to use it since it only runs in balanced mode and you will have to solder wires / jack to it. I used a mini-XLR 4 pin so I could try out different headphones I have but they all have SMC jacks on them so it was a bit easier for me. A friend has it right now and has been using it for the past few months to drive her HE400i (old SMC version like mine) but when I get it back do you want to try it out if I get the okay from @E1DA to let others try it? Just pay for shipping.
Im in, message me.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #14,152 of 14,386
Oh yes, of course, I never mind if Dave will send my old sample to test. Next few weeks, I hope, will be ready little pilot bunch of the new version(BLE IOS/Android controllable, reduced jitter, and noise, USB 24/192 doesn't need any drivers at all), after that I'll start a dedicated thread about this product, with beta testing, opinions etc.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #14,153 of 14,386
Oh yes, of course, I never mind if Dave will send my old sample to test. Next few weeks, I hope, will be ready little pilot bunch of the new version(BLE IOS/Android controllable, reduced jitter, and noise, USB 24/192 doesn't need any drivers at all), after that I'll start a dedicated thread about this product, with beta testing, opinions etc.

Sounds pretty cool, especially since it seems to have been developed with the 400i in mind. Are you going to send out touring units? Any US units? You mentioned this needs to be powered by a hub, died that mean this is not intended for portable use?

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #14,154 of 14,386
CoFire let's see after few weeks, to be honest, the product expected not expensive at all because no brand and distributors are involved, and few times DHL sent sample can reach its estimated retail cost )) Regarding mobile use, I have to test it first. The IC used for USB high-res audio interface can work as OTG device, hence latest IOS/Androids are ready for that, however, the PowerDAC has 230mA of idle current and up to 400mWx2ch@32, that's perhaps too much for most IOS/Androids, ok, maybe excluding iPad etc. A normal USB2 port(according to specs >500mA) is well enough for PowerDAC powering but USB3(up to 900mA) could better for partially deaf heavy-metal fans )), and external 5V power with 2000mA surely the best choice. I know the only way to use external 5V power it's a powered USB hub, which could be powered by power-bank in a back-pack to be mobile. I'll try that next few days because personally to me the PowerDAC is the best way to listen unbeatably detailed high-res audio in front of my PC, where I do my day job, during my cycling I prefer to hear the music of wind.
PS: the latest version of ID looks like that
This is aluminum extruded frame, fine sand-blast + black anodize, and top/bottom polished .5mm stainless steel curved caps with laser marking.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #14,155 of 14,386
I just tested the PowerDAC V2 with my android phone Nubia Z11 and Neutron high-res OTG player. It's running flawless, especially with powered(5V 2A iPad Air2 charger) USB hub, however, PowerDAC able to play with direct connection to my Nubia Z11, no problem but I don't know how many hours 3000mA/H battery can withstand that, probably 2-3. So far I can not get OTG stream at my iPad yet, no idea what's wrong, it seems IOS has no any options to switch OTG On/Off(android has), I'll google it more. I bought a tiny USB hub for that experimentation, it is the same size as PowerDAC itself, and I have the smartphone-shaped power bank, so that combination may play during >15hours.

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #14,156 of 14,386
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #14,157 of 14,386
Guys have anyone tried HE400i with Sundara pads?

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #14,158 of 14,386
My 400i just shook from the mad bass from this track... FIRST TIME EVER. Almost shocked me, I always thought the bass here was a little lacking.. but man... they literally almost shook off my head.. mind blown..

iFi Micro Black Label (Turbo Mode)

https://tidal.com/track/79530271 (Track--> Someone Lived This, By Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch)

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #14,159 of 14,386
My 400i just shook from the mad bass from this track... FIRST TIME EVER. Almost shocked me, I always thought the bass here was a little lacking.. but man... they literally almost shook off my head.. mind blown..

iFi Micro Black Label (Turbo Mode)

https://tidal.com/track/79530271 (Track--> Someone Lived This, By Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch)
Do you really need Turbo Mode for the 400i? I actually owned the 400i with an iFi Micro iDSD and on high gain there was plenty of headroom and I listen way louder than anybody I have ever met. The only reason I say that is as you up the gain you do raise the noise floor. Mind you, I'm not sure if the raised noise floor reaches audibility, it has been a while since I have seen the specifications. Love iFi gear, I am currently still completely enjoying my iFi iOne DAC and it replaced my NAD M51 and Chord Mojo.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #14,160 of 14,386
Do you really need Turbo Mode for the 400i? I actually owned the 400i with an iFi Micro iDSD and on high gain there was plenty of headroom and I listen way louder than anybody I have ever met. The only reason I say that is as you up the gain you do raise the noise floor. Mind you, I'm not sure if the raised noise floor reaches audibility, it has been a while since I have seen the specifications. Love iFi gear, I am currently still completely enjoying my iFi iOne DAC and it replaced my NAD M51 and Chord Mojo.
Yeah, I don't know what your talking about, noise floor is non exsistant with the iFi, to my ears anyway, and yes, the 400i excell with a lot of power. They do handle up to 6 watts. The iFi on Turbo pushes about 2 watts at 32 ohm. I was like you, thinking these didn't need the power, but like prior post I did, the bass... Its crazy good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back