Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 31, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #13,891 of 14,386
I listened/compared the 400i,( 2.5 connectors) to my HD800, and HEK, and as a consequence, sold the HD800, and the HEK. Two basic thing convinced me, better Bass, deeper, cleaner, and the sound field, which is the deepest I have come across, but very good width, average height. Seems to suit me perfectly. I joined kickstarter to back other headphones, so we shall see, what happens. I am now looking for another pair of 400i, to keep as a spare.I imagine i am the only one ( Worldwide!.) to have done this, but my old ears have found what I have been looking for.
Some days I wish I could just find "the one" but sadly I like variety too much :ksc75smile:

Have you tried one of the original ones with the SMC connectors and back plate? To me it was a bit better in the mids than the newer 2.5mm w/o back plate but my sample size was only 3 with 2.5mm and mine and another with SMC jacks so hardly a good sample size and both SMC jack ones were modded with grill and sorbothane.

@AthenaZephyrian, don't take this the wrong way but my GF was sitting with me looking at what I was reading and was a bit surprised to see a girl on Head-Fi, she also thinks you are pretty hot looking and quite knowledgeable about tinkering with the LD 1+ since she is still a noob with audio.

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #13,892 of 14,386
So since my 400is have the old plastic yokes that broke in 16 places I tried some tinkering. Used Dekoni LCD velour pads, had to remove the suspension headband and add a seatbelt shoulder strap, bend in the metal band on each side so the cups would sit correctly.

Turned out well, comfy, low clamp yet stable. Very nice sub bass now, bigger staging, I through a felt ring in to smooth treble without loosing detail. Didn't notice any weird distortion or recessed mids. Feel free to yell at me.

20180831_034451.jpg 20180831_034424.jpg 20180831_034349.jpg 20180831_034310.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #13,895 of 14,386
I hold them as equals. He-500 does soundstage better. He-400i does comfort better.

Mids in the 500 have much more definition in the mids, and more in the highs too (recording cues, overtones, fingering on instruments) than either the 400i or 4xx. The HE-500 also has a lot more bass under 50 Hz then the others, but can womp a bit in the mid bass, controlled for me by XLR connections, and a potent SS amp.

500 is heavier and stock more uncomfortable. I've got the 4xx headband switched in, and I recline in a high back chair, so it's not an issue given the advantages.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #13,896 of 14,386
It's not that much difficult to beat HE-500... HE-4 are already better and also more comfortable so I fully expect the HE-400i to be at least on the same level (as HE-500 if not HE-4).

The HE-500 (fazor mod, XLR, big SS amp) crunches the 4xx versions I have access too - the 4xx and 400i. Haven't heard the HE-4.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #13,897 of 14,386
@DavidA I wonder what your better half thinks of my appearance :p
My GF was a bit shocked to see a female picture and its why she made the comment, LOL. I'll ask her about your appearance the next time she is reading over my shoulder.
PS: haven't seen you around Head-Fi much these days, hope all is well

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #13,898 of 14,386
I found, that the biggest change for me, was grill removal, replacing with an open plastic mesh. I am going through pad changes at the moment.

400i? The grill removal on the 4xx causes many negative side effects, don't own the 400i so I can't try that. Issues with the 4xx: Backstage image gone, wood instruments and finger snaps in particular lose body and overtones. Loss of bass too. Yes initially it seems more wide open but on a really good DAC and amp with excellent records careful listening reveals the downsides.

Bear in mind the mesh is magnetic, and that may play a role above the merely physical changes of no grill or a different grill.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #13,899 of 14,386
400i? The grill removal on the 4xx causes many negative side effects, don't own the 400i so I can't try that. Issues with the 4xx: Backstage image gone, wood instruments and finger snaps in particular lose body and overtones. Loss of bass too. Yes initially it seems more wide open but on a really good DAC and amp with excellent records careful listening reveals the downsides.

Bear in mind the mesh is magnetic, and that may play a role above the merely physical changes of no grill or a different grill.
This I feel, is just another example of how we all hear differently.I have certainly found what I am looking for.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #13,900 of 14,386
This I feel, is just another example of how we all hear differently.I have certainly found what I am looking for.

Excellent !

I'm a quester and a critic, my glass is almost never full until I find audio nirvana in pieces such as the HE-500 (better than my old Stax 303 Classic), joining the ARC SP-15, ML CLS IIz, Verity Parsifal v3, Pass X-150/Ono/P, Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Lyra Parnassus, Clearaudio TQ-1, Oracle Delphi IV, FR-66, and the Schitt Gungnir to name most of the ones I know.

I like the 400i and 4xx - esp considering the money. The 4xx is my portable, very nice. For the rest viva la difference...

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #13,901 of 14,386
Agree that the LD 1+ is an impressive amp for the price but it needs a few upgrades (op-amps and tubes) to become solid amp IMO since in stock form it was not much better than an old Vali1 when I compared them long ago.

Spot on David! I've got a Burson V5 op amp and a box of.nice tubes with my LD I+ and it's definitely solid with the right combination.

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #13,902 of 14,386
This little tube amp is very tempting to try out as it is so cheap. Any issues with the construction? Does it feel cheap?

If you're referring to the Bravo, then there are some issues. Cheap PCB and components are the biggest. I have a couple Little Bear P2s - basically the same thing. Got them dirt cheap, but I really wouldn't recommend paying the full retail. Did a bunch of mods to mine and it does sound pretty good with the 400i - although way too much power, an attenuator is pretty much mandatory.
If you are still considering buying one, I'd go in with the expectations of it being disposable.

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #13,903 of 14,386
My wife was surprised to see me reading about a tube amp and she thought it was pretty hot looking too...

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #13,904 of 14,386
If you're referring to the Bravo, then there are some issues. Cheap PCB and components are the biggest. I have a couple Little Bear P2s - basically the same thing. Got them dirt cheap, but I really wouldn't recommend paying the full retail. Did a bunch of mods to mine and it does sound pretty good with the 400i - although way too much power, an attenuator is pretty much mandatory.
If you are still considering buying one, I'd go in with the expectations of it being disposable.

Agree. I have Bravo Ocean and I like it but it cannot drive HE400i as good as my portable tube amp.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #13,905 of 14,386
I have had mine since April 2014, and it works very well still. I would characterize my use of it as "light duty."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back