Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #13,591 of 14,386
Less than 2 weeks with them, and the plastic ring that holds one of the earcups is cracking, bound to snap/break. I saw user reviews that show pics of the same problem. Only that theirs had already snapped. I was hoping that I wouldn't have that problem. Ugh! - what a shame. I love the sound, but that is ridiculous. CHEAP build quality. Boo!!!!
If they are still under warranty then you can get a new headband from Hifiman and i think the latest batch seems to have corrected the cracking problem since some in the HE560 thread have had the same yoke cracking issue.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #13,592 of 14,386
Did you get your HE400i used? I've never heard of them coming with Focus-A pads on either the original SMC version or the newer 2.5mm version. Also, even the HE560 only came with Focus-A pads if you had pre-ordered the first release and everything after came stock with Focus pads.
Actually, yes i did. Seller did not mentioned, anything about pads, so i tought they were original. 2016/1017 series.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #13,593 of 14,386
So its official hifiman is a cheap chinese company. I've had every part of the headphone fail on me. This last time was impressive. Both sides snapped off while on my head.

29341331_958638157634689_476675550_n.jpg

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #13,594 of 14,386
If they are still under warranty then you can get a new headband from Hifiman and i think the latest batch seems to have corrected the cracking problem since some in the HE560 thread have had the same yoke cracking issue.

I don't trust that it was a "bad batch" of plastic yolks. That's just BS. They are just cheap parts. I'm not going through the aggravation of dealing with warranty/repair/replacement parts. These are being returned to seller, promptly.

So its official hifiman is a cheap chinese company. I've had every part of the headphone fail on me. This last time was impressive. Both sides snapped off while on my head.

I've had a lot of headphones over the course of 20 years or so, and this is the worst/cheapest construction job out of any decent headphone, I've ever had. I mean, not even 2 weeks of super light and delicate use, and it's one touch away from snapping like yours. I've had $10 earbuds, that were made more durable than this headphone.

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #13,595 of 14,386
I don't trust that it was a "bad batch" of plastic yolks. That's just BS. They are just cheap parts. I'm not going through the aggravation of dealing with warranty/repair/replacement parts. These are being returned to seller, promptly.

I've had a lot of headphones over the course of 20 years or so, and this is the worst/cheapest construction job out of any decent headphone, I've ever had. I mean, not even 2 weeks of super light and delicate use, and it's one touch away from snapping like yours. I've had $10 earbuds, that were made more durable than this headphone.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, lots of people (myself included) have had HE400i and HE560 for a long time without any issues with the plastic at all and now they all fail. Of course it's a bad batch everything else is BS (to use your language) imo.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #13,596 of 14,386
I'm sorry but you're wrong, lots of people (myself included) have had HE400i and HE560 for a long time without any issues with the plastic at all and now they all fail. Of course it's a bad batch everything else is BS (to use your language) imo.

It really is a cheap company. I've had earpads, cable and yolk all go bad. The pads are glued together with really bad glue. The headphone have numerous cold solders and the yolk is made from cheap plastic.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #13,598 of 14,386

At some point, I'm sure they changed parts to lessen manufacturing costs. That's why it's a "bad batch". Maybe they thought they could get away with it, but now everyone that buys a new Hifiman 400/560 has a ticking time bomb. Go to Amazon and see the pics. It's incredible.

I'm sorry, but that kind of damage does not result from anything but abuse. Put the blame where it belongs - right on you.

Really, all you have to do is gently handle these headphones and the yolk can snap. Just the process of putting them on your head can break them. Myself and others can vouch for MrMan. It's not abuse. I BABY my stuff, and my 400i yolk cracked just by gently picking them up! - That yolk is incredibly brittle. God knows what else can fail on this cheap POS.

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #13,599 of 14,386
I'm sorry, but that kind of damage does not result from anything but abuse. Put the blame where it belongs - right on you.

Abuse ? I put it on my head. When I'm done I put it on my desk. At no point did they leave my desk. At no point did they get moved to another area on my desk. They are a cheap headphone. I've been into audio since 07 and I've NEVER had a yolk break, had a solder joint fail or had the pads fall apart. I've had them ALL with the 400i.

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #13,601 of 14,386

My HE400i and 2 HE560 are over 4 years old with no problems and my HE400 is over 5 years old with no problems. I haven't used any of the stock cables so I don't know how durable they are but I haven't had a ear pad fail and I've dropped my HE400i a few times on to a hardwood floor and its still looks new. I gave one of my HE560's to my son who is in college and with all the moving and use they are still working like new for him.

This is how I would look at this mess: would you rather pay $450 for the HE400i (what I paid back in 2014 when they first came out) and have one that lasted this long with no issues or would you rather pay the current $250 but have to deal with warranty/repairs/replacement?

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #13,603 of 14,386

That's too bad I know a lot of people the same issue with their 560's..

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #13,604 of 14,386
I have one year with the 2.5mm version and everything has been fine, the yolks look ok it doesn't look like they are going to break or something, it is documented which version or serial is affected by the yolks plastic problems?
The cracking yokes seems to be limited to recent production (purchased within the last few months) HD400i and HE560 since I haven't seen anyone with broken yokes in the HE400S thread yet.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #13,605 of 14,386
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back