Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #11,327 of 14,386
True but i havent found a genre that they didnt sound decent with, plus everyone says they pair well with hybrid tube amps so that should mellow things out a bit. If you like balanced armeture iems, thats probably about the beat tobalty i can describe them.

Edit.
*Best tonality

...stupid phone

I've never tried a hybrid tube amp. Lots of solid state amps, but never a hybrid.

Anyone here have a favorite they they're using with the 400i?

One thing I hope an amp like that will bring out, is bass the way the artist intended it. I don't want the headphones to introduce bass on their own, but if an artist calls for a sub hit - I'd like to hear it.

In the opening lines of Sk8r Boi by Avril Lavigne, there are two powerful sub hits - which don't exist on the 400is, at least with the junky little amps I've been trying them with. (The Leckerton is charging, haha)

Thanks

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #11,328 of 14,386
  I've never tried a hybrid tube amp. Lots of solid state amps, but never a hybrid.

One thing I hope an amp like that will bring out, is bass the way the artist intended it. I don't want the headphones to introduce bass on their own, but if an artist calls for a sub hit - I'd like to hear it.

In the opening lines of Sk8r Boi by Avril Lavigne, there are two powerful sub hits - which don't exist on the 400is, at least with the junky little amps I've been trying them with. (The Leckerton is charging, haha)

Thanks

Schiit Vali 2 or Lyr 2.   Great hybrid amps...

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #11,329 of 14,386
Jan 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #11,330 of 14,386

Thanks

In addition to the 2 amps @MWSVette noted I would add: Solstice, Ember, Liquid Glass, and WA7

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #11,331 of 14,386
True but i havent found a genre that they didnt sound decent with, plus everyone says they pair well with hybrid tube amps so that should mellow things out a bit

I never said this was a bad thing. What I meant with spiced up is some sort of ultra-reality. The 400is makes pretty much all things sound amazingly clear to me. Commenting on the guy using this in a studio, I don't think you always want that sort of perception bias for studio use. Then again I don't know the exact application he's looking for so whatever.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #11,332 of 14,386
  I never said this was a bad thing. What I meant with spiced up is some sort of ultra-reality. The 400is makes pretty much all things sound amazingly clear to me. Commenting on the guy using this in a studio, I don't think you always want that sort of perception bias for studio use. Then again I don't know the exact application he's looking for so whatever.

That was me, and your comments were very helpful.

The studio production is for a talk radio show, so I'm mostly listening to voices. They use killer mics - U87s - and with the Senns, when I recorded tracks my voice was like velvet. Lots of depth and baritone colors. Loved 'em. I'm trying the 400is now, and I like what I hear....

I figure to really evaluate them I'll at least need a decent burn-in period. But so far, so good!

And as to your comments - yes. If we were recording music it would be a whole different ball park. But I'm not on that side of the biz - just talk radio, so I really can't add any insights there.

Thanks again!

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #11,333 of 14,386
Jan 26, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #11,334 of 14,386
2 years, no problems!

Exactly the same for me
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #11,335 of 14,386
Has anyone tried the HE-400i with the Schiit Jotunheim yet? In full balanced feed/out mode? I am very keen to own this combo once I find the funds for it.

*edit* I'm a bit of a noob, didn't see the SEARCH THREAD button so disregard that line. Here's the result summary:
If you've got the budget, Modi Multibit + Jotunheim-Balanced to 400i is mind blowing.

The HE400i balanced thru the Bimby/Jotunheim is absolutely sublime...

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #11,336 of 14,386
  Has anyone tried the HE-400i with the Schiit Jotunheim yet? In full balanced feed/out mode? I am very keen to own this combo once I find the funds for it.

*edit* I'm a bit of a noob, didn't see the SEARCH THREAD button so disregard that line. Here's the result summary:

I still feel the same way...

They are a great set of cans.  Even better for their current price...

cool.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #11,337 of 14,386
2 years, no problems!

Exactly the same for me:beerchug:

Good to be in touch with you, dude. It's been a while!

I'm finding I like the 400i's more and more with classic rock and blues. But the darn 800S's are so awesome, the 400i's don't get as much use...

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #11,338 of 14,386
Can anyone give a comparison of the 400i against the TP50RP Mk3? I had a friend ask but I haven't heard the Fostex. I do own the 400i. Thanks.

I owned both for about a month. For the price, the T50RP MK3's are great but the 400i to me had cleaner highs, fuller mids and much better air/soundstage. That said, the bass on the MK3's was bigger and badder than the 400i, which I miss.  Still if I were to spend less than $200 on a pair of headphones, I'd certainly go with the MK3's and try some of the many affordable mods out there to dial in my preferred sound.  IMO they have comparable levels of speed, imaging and they sounded similarly detailed to me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #11,339 of 14,386
One more question.....

Really enjoying the 400is....incredible clarity. I'm hearing things I've never heard before, in music I've listened to many times.

So, I have a pair, with the 1/8" pin connectors, not the screw-in connectors. Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement cable with a straight 1/4" on the end?

I'm not really diggin' the 1/8" angled plug.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #11,340 of 14,386
If somebody is interested, I have a high quality Balanced cable guaranteed to work with HiFiMan HE-400i and Onkyo DP-X1.

On the side of the player, balanced 2.5 MM connector.

On the other side, TRRS 2.5 mm connectors. Such as for Hifiman HE-400i, but also other phones that use these connectors.

Price: my cost at $69 shipped.

PM me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back