Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 30, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #10,682 of 14,386
@DavidA can u elaborate more?
Why harder?
DT990 will be harder to drive? My friend is using FIIO E10K with them n he is quite satisfied with them so I thought an amp like Magni 2 or FIIO K5 paired with either Modi 2 or Sanskrit dac won't work for both?
Like I said I can stretch my budget more if I get a good amp first which can push both n later add a good DAC later ...
If I do this then what will be my options?

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

I don't have much time with the 400i, but it sounds really nice and gets stupid loud through my Magni/Modi 1 stack.  Very full and detailed sound with plenty of nuance and bass impact.  Can't comment on DT990, but I have the DT770 pro 250 ohm and it also sounds very good out of the Magni/Modi stack.  Very different sound signature, closed can, smooth, velvety quality to the whole spectrum but especially sweet on the lows.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #10,683 of 14,386
  Does anybody have a link which show how to remove the ring from the velour pads in order to mount them on others pads  ?

It slides out incredibly easily, it cannot be messed up. It's not glued, and basically rotates "inside" the pad (in an extension behind/under the actual plushy pad/dust grill cloth).

To give you an idea, a couple of videos of "installing" the ring to other pads -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
Believe me, the difficulty doesn't come from removing the ring from a stock pad, it comes from trying to install it to a third-party pad, especially if the fit is snug.
Also, remember that the ring is/can be brittle, so forcing and bending it extensively, without warming/working it out a bit first, will break it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #10,684 of 14,386
  I used a spray on adhesive to mount the organza to my grills since the organza will fray quite easily and just trimmed of the excess, below is a grill I made for another head-fi member:

Below is my old grill for HE-400

David, your organza is much denser than mine. Hence, the reason I felt I needed two layers. Mine is really, really hard to work with also. My two layers are still not as dense as what I see in your pic. It's purple and the two layers are barely visible looking through the holes in the stock grills. Sound wise, they would be more transparent, but then again, the holes are smaller on the stock grills as opposed to your aftermarket ones. All these differences are going to alter the inherent sound. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #10,685 of 14,386
So which amp+DAC is best pairing with he400i?

Only your ears can make that determination. I had good results with my Dragonfly V1.2 and now even better sound with the Apogee Groove that I recently bought. There are a ton of choices in your price range. Good luck.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #10,686 of 14,386
  David, your organza is much denser than mine. Hence, the reason I felt I needed two layers. Mine is really, really hard to work with also. My two layers are still not as dense as what I see in your pic. It's purple and the two layers are barely visible looking through the holes in the stock grills. Sound wise, they would be more transparent, but then again, the holes are smaller on the stock grills as opposed to your aftermarket ones. All these differences are going to alter the inherent sound. 

I think it depends on the angle you look at it, if I hold it up in front of me its quite transparent and I also think the color has some bearing on how transparent it looks.  I have some gold/yellow organza and it doesn't look transparent at all in the light but if you hold it up in a dark room with a light source in the background you can barely see the material.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #10,687 of 14,386
@DavidA can u elaborate more?
Why harder?
DT990 will be harder to drive? My friend is using FIIO E10K with them n he is quite satisfied with them so I thought an amp like Magni 2 or FIIO K5 paired with either Modi 2 or Sanskrit dac won't work for both?
Like I said I can stretch my budget more if I get a good amp first which can push both n later add a good DAC later ...
If I do this then what will be my options?

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

When I say harder its because the DT-990 and HE-400i are best driven by different types of amps.  The DT-990 being a high impedance headphone usually sounds better when driven by OTL type amps while the HE-400i being a low impedance planar does not sound very good with OTL amps, but this is all personal preference since we are talking about sound signatures.

Haven't tried the E10k or K5 so I can't say how the HE-400i or DT-990 will sound to me on them but to me most high impedance headphones have not sounded good on most portable gear until you get to the Hugo or WA8 level while the HE-400i is easier to drive properly as I've used my Fiio X3 with the HE-400i a few times when I was on vacation.  I've since gotten a EL8 but it turned out to be too heavy to lug around and have started to take my custom Ypsilon headphone on trips, its super light, easy to drive and sounds much better to me.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #10,688 of 14,386
@DavidA @-Darkstar- thanks for ur help guys
I think this thing will grow on me n with time I will add more accessories to my collection n may be more headphones ...
But I have to start from somewhere, that's why I'm asking on this forum, otherwise I would have bought Micca Origen+ after watching some YouTube reviews :D

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #10,690 of 14,386
  I like my Asgard 2 with the he400i personally. It's a slightly warming sounding amp and with the he400i being just a tad bright, I really like the combo. 

You're one of the few who I've seen think the Asgard2 to be slightly warm sounding, to me its a slightly bright sounding amp and didn't pair well with the HE-400i or HD-600 but since we all hear differently doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good to you.  I still my Asgard2 but tend use warmer headphones like SRH-1840, LCD-2 and Nhoord driver build with it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #10,691 of 14,386
  You're one of the few who I've seen think the Asgard2 to be slightly warm sounding, to me its a slightly bright sounding amp and didn't pair well with the HE-400i or HD-600 but since we all hear differently doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good to you.  I still my Asgard2 but tend use warmer headphones like SRH-1840, LCD-2 and Nhoord driver build with it.

My magni is definitely on the bright side to me, Fiio E17k is quite smooth and warm in comparison.  YMMV of course.  That said, I do really enjoy it with my HE-400i, though it may not be ideal, I would argue for $200 Magni/Modi is a stellar deal.  It's the only amp that I've tried that really makes my DT770 250 ohm come alive.  Granted my amp experience is not vast by any means.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #10,692 of 14,386

One of the reviews under the review section for the Asgard 2 also found it warm and full sounding, if your looking for another person who feels the same way. LoL

I have a Magni as well and I find the Asgard 2 to be a fair bit warmer sounding.

edit: Actually this got me curious to start looking into some opinions, I've noticed a number of people seem to agree that the Asgard 2 is slightly warm sounding.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #10,693 of 14,386

One of the reviews under the review section for the Asgard 2 also found it warm and full sounding, if your looking for another person who feels the same way. LoL

I have a Magni as well and I find the Asgard 2 to be a fair bit warmer sounding.

edit: Actually this got me curious to start looking into some opinions, I've noticed a number of people seem to agree that the Asgard 2 is slightly warm sounding.

I think I've been exposed to many other SS amps that make the Asgard2 to be on the brighter side.  Heron 5, Hugo, Liquid Carbon, G109, and a few others make the Asgard2 appear to be on the bright side so that maybe where I consider it to be on the bright side of neutral.   One way I determine if an amp is warm/neutral/bright to me is to use my HD-700 or RS2e, it the highs are sibilant, harsh or too forward to me then I consider the amp to be on the brighter side, its hard for me to listen to the HD-700 or RS2e on the Asgard2.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #10,694 of 14,386
@DavidA oh sorry will do that ...
@peter123
I'm a beginner ... Just got my first pair (598 Cs) n no amp or DAC, using just my MBP 2015 n iphone 6s ...
Wanted a good openback so got a recommendation of he400i
So joined this forum to get some good advice which could work for me.
Budget is quite limited ... I first started to look at $100 options like FIIO K5, E10k or anything else which is available on Amazon (that's my limitation, can't buy from another place, no shipping options to my country)
But now I think $200 should be my budget or a little bit more than that. Would prefer any option desktop or portable which serves the purpose ...
If desktop then single box would be better rest I have no experience of solid-state or tubes ... Like I said ... Totally new guy :)
In future I might add DT 990 pro (250ohms)

Type of music: Rock metal
Most of my music collection is 16bit 44hz FLAC or mp3s but now I'm getting better quality files

Sent from WestWorld 2.0

My favorite amp/dac's with the HE400i and within your budget are:
$80 Zorloo Zuperdac
$250 the bit Opus #11

My favorite amps only within your budget are:
$120 LD I+
$200-300 Nuforce HA-200

All of these are excellent pairings with the HE400i in my experience.

I really can't believe that the Nuforce's is not more talked about more here on Head-fi since it's a amazing sounding unit and not only for the price.....

Anyway I'd suggest that you look for something not generally considered bright or cold sounding with the HE400i as it may get fatiguing to listen to in the long run. Good luck :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #10,695 of 14,386

It slides out incredibly easily, it cannot be messed up. It's not glued, and basically rotates "inside" the pad (in an extension behind/under the actual plushy pad/dust grill cloth).

To give you an idea, a couple of videos of "installing" the ring to other pads -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
Believe me, the difficulty doesn't come from removing the ring from a stock pad, it comes from trying to install it to a third-party pad, especially if the fit is snug.
Also, remember that the ring is/can be brittle, so forcing and bending it extensively, without warming/working it out a bit first, will break it.

You were right about the HM5 it seems to help  with bass/treble. I'm going to spend some time this weekend listen and I'll come back. Mounting was quiet easy, took me 3-4 minutes, you just have to stretch enough the HM5 before 

p.S: it seems I need to push the volume higher now ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back