Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 9, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #9,676 of 14,386
Valhalla 2 works fine with the HE400i, but it isn't what I would get if I was building a system around the HE400i.

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #9,678 of 14,386
The HE400i balanced thru the Bimby/Jotunheim is absolutely sublime...

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #9,680 of 14,386
  Totally agree, I wasn't trying to imply that.  I'm sure it's overkill for the 400I.  If I was building for this I would get a Magni / Vali or O2, etc. I'm sure they would be all you need.  

I don't think the Valhalla2 is over kill for the 400i, quite the opposite, I think the 400i responds to better amps and going to the Magni/Vali/O2 is going backwards, just my opinion.  But as @fjrabon and I noted its not an amp I would recommend for the HE-400i.  I've listened to the HE-400i on various amps and for the price (under $400) I've liked them best on the headphone output of the UD-301, going higher up the Liquid Carbon was a great pairing and about as good as it gets for the HE-400i since amps higher up (Liquid Gold, Glass, EC Balancing Act, MHA-100, Hugo TT) didn't seem to make any improvements that I could detect.  Many seem to like the Grace m9xx with the 400i and a few have mentioned the Mojo also.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #9,681 of 14,386
I have been thinking about getting another SS for HP's like 400I, and possibly others.... might try out a 560 too.  Really liking the 400I so far.  Just picked it up on a whim because I wanted to hear it and found it at a good price.  What do you think about it with an Asgard 2 or maybe a Jotunheim?  I was thinking of getting a Asgard 2 for these and future HP's, but the Jot intrigues me.  Grace M9xx is a consideration too, but not available right now.  

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #9,682 of 14,386
  I have been thinking about getting another SS for HP's like 400I, and possibly others.... might try out a 560 too.  Really liking the 400I so far.  Just picked it up on a whim because I wanted to hear it and found it at a good price.  What do you think about it with an Asgard 2 or maybe a Jotunheim?  I was thinking of getting a Asgard 2 for these and future HP's, but the Jot intrigues me.  Grace M9xx is a consideration too, but not available right now.  

While I have a Asgard2 I wouldn't recommend it since the Jot sounds like it does everything better for a really good price.  I also found that the Asgard2 doesn't pair well with a few of my headphones compared to the UD-301 or Ember which seem to pair well with a wider range of headphones.  I only heard the m9xx once and it was not bad but at the price I think there are other options that might work out better for my needs/situation.

The HE-560 is a better headphone than the 400i IMO but it needs better gear to make it better, and to some the difference in price is not worth the difference in sound.

The 400i is one of the best in the under $500 range and for some its end game sound signature and I agree, I do have other headphones that I think sound better but its also a different sound signature.  I really like the different sound signatures of different headphones, keeps me from getting bored.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #9,683 of 14,386
Right now I using a Mimby>Valhalla 2.  Pretty happy with it overall.  I never really liked the single tube type amps, (Bravo V3, Aune T1) but never tried the Ember.  I was thinking of something to pair with the Mimby (so won't need a DAC) but that would be different enough from than Valhalla because I will probably keep that too.  

400I is pretty close for me, Hd 700 is close too.  Not sure which I like better now.  The 400I is an easier listen, and still quite detailed, but not to the 700 level.  I would say the sound signature of the 400I is more to my liking, wish the bass hit a little harder though.  700 bass is great, very clear, but the treble is a little fatiguing at times.  

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #9,684 of 14,386
  Right now I using a Mimby>Valhalla 2.  Pretty happy with it overall.  I never really liked the single tube type amps, (Bravo V3, Aune T1) but never tried the Ember.  I was thinking of something to pair with the Mimby (so won't need a DAC) but that would be different enough from than Valhalla because I will probably keep that too.  

400I is pretty close for me, Hd 700 is close too.  Not sure which I like better now.  The 400I is an easier listen, and still quite detailed, but not to the 700 level.  I would say the sound signature of the 400I is more to my liking, wish the bass hit a little harder though.  700 bass is great, very clear, but the treble is a little fatiguing at times.  

For the HD-700 the BH Crack is my choice of amp, no problems with treble.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #9,685 of 14,386
400i paired with the Project Polaris amp = 
atsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #9,686 of 14,386
I'm looking for an android based pmp that will adequately power my He-400i. I use Apple Music for day to day streaming so the ability to install that app is a must.

My iPhone needs to be at or near the peak volume to get acceptable levels for me, so that's not an option. Any suggestions welcome.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #9,687 of 14,386
I'm looking for an android based pmp that will adequately power my He-400i. I use Apple Music for day to day streaming so the ability to install that app is a must.

My iPhone needs to be at or near the peak volume to get acceptable levels for me, so that's not an option. Any suggestions welcome.

Fiio x7 is an Android pmp and you can add amp modules to increase output poder.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #9,688 of 14,386
Is Fiio X5 enough to drive the 400i's properly? Or is an amp an absolute must? I am planning to buy the 400i's early next month and if needed I might get a Mojo as well. Could you please shed some light on what would be the best route in order to get the maximum out of the 400i's? I am sorry, I know this might have been discussed before in the thread, but it's almost next to impossible going through the 600+ pages!!

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #9,689 of 14,386
Is Fiio X5 enough to drive the 400i's properly? Or is an amp an absolute must? I am planning to buy the 400i's early next month and if needed I might get a Mojo as well. Could you please shed some light on what would be the best route in order to get the maximum out of the 400i's? I am sorry, I know this might have been discussed before in the thread, but it's almost next to impossible going through the 600+ pages!!

Hi bro..
I may be not the best candidate to answer you on this..
But i have most of the hifiman cans..
Except the he 560, hex, he 400s..

The he 400i for me is a really good sounding headphones...using it with the dpx1 and mojo is kinda end game portable for me..

Thus investing in mojo will pay you back in good..
Therefore, i would like to get a QP1R as some headfier mentioned it is an endgame for them..

But afterall, it all depend on you..

Regards,
Jonathan

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #9,690 of 14,386

i used my 400i with a X5 II, great sound; then i sold it and got an O2+ODAC rev B; the change was mindblowing tue odac and 02 are super clear.

The only problem with the o2/odac is that is so clear that it will show all the distortions an generally bad sound of any file that is not in a godd quality, the o2 doesn't forgive bad quality, the X5 II does.

i would recomend an external dac/amp, because the 400i are not good for portable use (they are open, why would you like to have open headphones for the go?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back